Ibasso T3 or Digizoid Z02?
Apr 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So I'm about to purchase my first mid-tier portable headphone amp, and I was looking at the Ibasso T3 and Z02, since they are right in my budget and needs in terms of size. So my question here is, what are the attributes of each in terms of sounds. I do want a black background (which I hear the Z02 will give) with good bass power (not necessarily quantity) and a good enveloping sound stage. For example, for the bass whenever I listen through my Yamaha receiver, even on neutral the bass gives you more of a kick purely from power, so I was hoping for something like that. I do like multiple presets for the eq, but I don't need too much. I don't like sibilance, no matter what the reason.

I was looking for something to clean up the bass, give it some power, make the mids more clear, and bring out some non sibilant sparkle to those trebles. 

I will be using this with my M50, Shure SE215, HD25 Originals, and possibly the Pro700. I also plan on buying some nice Iems in the near future, and I was looking at the RE-262, which I hear needs some amping if that makes a difference...

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 6
I actually use and love both of these amps. I've reviewed both, too. The T3 has better overall performance if you are comparing the z02 in the green (most neutral state) mode. Move that up to yellow or orange, and the z02 wipes the T3 off the floor at least as far as signal/noise and dynamic range are concerned. Of course, the z02 is meant to add fun to the equation and make your earphones come alive. It isn't meant as a performance benchmark. And it isn't a good performance benchmark as it is heavily accented. 

But it is much much more fun than the T3, has perfect channel balance at lower volumes, and brings the club to the earphones. It's stereo separation isn't great, and its volume is too high for sensitive earphones at base levels when using an LOD or other line in cable. But, it rocks. The T3 is a traditional amp, though very high performance. Both have semi high background noise floors and both are tiny. 

I talk a bit about the T3D in my z02 review. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I actually use and love both of these amps. I've reviewed both, too. The T3 has better overall performance if you are comparing the z02 in the green (most neutral state) mode. Move that up to yellow or orange, and the z02 wipes the T3 off the floor at least as far as signal/noise and dynamic range are concerned. Of course, the z02 is meant to add fun to the equation and make your earphones come alive. It isn't meant as a performance benchmark. And it isn't a good performance benchmark as it is heavily accented. 

But it is much much more fun than the T3, has perfect channel balance at lower volumes, and brings the club to the earphones. It's stereo separation isn't great, and its volume is too high for sensitive earphones at base levels when using an LOD or other line in cable. But, it rocks. The T3 is a traditional amp, though very high performance. Both have semi high background noise floors and both are tiny. 

I talk a bit about the T3D in my z02 review. 

Thanks, 
Very helpful, so how does the z02 fair on neutral, would it be substantially better than a fiio e6 even without the eq and sound coloring effect? Oh and is it unnatural or is it just trying to mimick higher end amps through cheaper means (which I remember someone putting it like that, don't remember who). Oh and hows the sound stage and what do you mean by stereo seperation? 

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 6
The sound colouring effects are the primary reason the zO2 isn't neutral. It simply isn't neutral. On its most laid back setting, it has a mild bass roll off, so even there, it has an accent. Its stereo separation is amazing in the midrange, but quite minimal in high and low frequencies, so the overall impression (as high frequencies are very hard to separate for almost any amp) is on the closed side of normal. Low frequencies, however, usually have more stereo separation, BUT the zO2 is supposed to be a subwoofer, a device that operates in its own channel, so the effect is very natural as it does emulate a 2,1 system very very well.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
The sound colouring effects are the primary reason the zO2 isn't neutral. It simply isn't neutral. On its most laid back setting, it has a mild bass roll off, so even there, it has an accent. Its stereo separation is amazing in the midrange, but quite minimal in high and low frequencies, so the overall impression (as high frequencies are very hard to separate for almost any amp) is on the closed side of normal. Low frequencies, however, usually have more stereo separation, BUT the zO2 is supposed to be a subwoofer, a device that operates in its own channel, so the effect is very natural as it does emulate a 2,1 system very very well.

Alright, thanks a bunch :D, decided to go with the Digizoid Z02 to color up my collection ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back