iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #107 of 205
As I mentioned a few posts before, I got a SR2 last month. I was really surprised by its soundquality. And for the first real Headphone of this company, the build quality is impressive. But I think there is one problem with the construction that holds the cup and headband together and allows to rotate horizontally.
as I got my first SR2, there was everything fine out of the box. But after a short time, the screw got loosen up. I asked my dealer what to do, and they said I have to tighten it up. I did, but only a few movements later, the problem was there again.
They decided to replace my unit. I received the new one and the same problem was here again.
Keep in mind .. I use the headphone for that what it is.. I never put force in any way on it. I am really confused. There is a review on headfi, that guy had the same problem with his SR2. Is there any solution, so I can balance my time better in a direction to here more music, than working on holding everything on its place? :wink:
It is a very easy fix. The screw is a 1.5 Allen wrench. Get some non permanent loctite, put it on the thread and put it together. It stays put but if you need to take the screw out you can. It really is very easy and there is no reason to exchange them.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #108 of 205
I’ve tried this headphone twice now and gotta admit that it is a strange tuning per my ears. It’s like it’s trying to be three things all at once: planar magnetic in the bass..which it sorta resembles yet somehow feels like it’s 5 dB too low in the mix. Then we’ve got electrostatic mids with that huge hump of energy around 1k...rounded off by a little Beyeresque treble tomfoolery.
This is certainly not my bag, but I fully understand why others would go absolutely nuts for it....yet it seems like even describing tonality in this hobby can be seen as ‘derogatory’. What I mean by that is that I mentioned it being rather bright last night, and while my buddy vehemently agreed with a big smile on his face..his audio acquintance almost threw a fit:
‘It’s not bright man!! It’s natural! You’re just used to dull sounding cans with zero resolution’
...or something to that effect.
My friend and I were pretty dumbstruck. He knows full well that it is a bright headphone...that’s why he bought it...just like the reason he bought his DT1990..he loves a brighter presentation...yet for some reason there seems to be folks in this hobby who are very sensitive to any words or descriptions that can be seen as negative. Yet how can a sound signature be negative..if you really dig it?
Btw my friend is seriously pondering whether or not to sell his DT1990 in favour of the SR2..and he loves his Beyer.

What are you driving SR2 with? Pair up synergy will have a significant impact on the tonality.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #109 of 205
His amps are all low output impedance (Magni Heresy, V200, V220).

Edith: I gather that is what you were refering to? I can imagine the SR2 being a bad match with higher output impedance amps. 20 ohm for a dynamic driver is really not a hell of a lot of damping factor.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #110 of 205
When I picked up my SR2 on the second day, the left earcup nearly fell off. I hadn't noticed the screw was loose at all during the first day of fondling and listening. Its not loose now, but it still has a bit more wiggle room than the right (which seems 'normal'). I try to keep an eye on it and so far it hasn't gotten any looser.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #111 of 205
Hmmm I don't have these issues yet, maybe I am lucky

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #113 of 205
I’ve tried this headphone twice now and gotta admit that it is a strange tuning per my ears. It’s like it’s trying to be three things all at once: planar magnetic in the bass..which it sorta resembles yet somehow feels like it’s 5 dB too low in the mix. Then we’ve got electrostatic mids with that huge hump of energy around 1k...rounded off by a little Beyeresque treble tomfoolery.
This is certainly not my bag, but I fully understand why others would go absolutely nuts for it....yet it seems like even describing tonality in this hobby can be seen as ‘derogatory’. What I mean by that is that I mentioned it being rather bright last night, and while my buddy vehemently agreed with a big smile on his face..his audio acquintance almost threw a fit:
‘It’s not bright man!! It’s natural! You’re just used to dull sounding cans with zero resolution’
...or something to that effect.
My friend and I were pretty dumbstruck. He knows full well that it is a bright headphone...that’s why he bought it...just like the reason he bought his DT1990..he loves a brighter presentation...yet for some reason there seems to be folks in this hobby who are very sensitive to any words or descriptions that can be seen as negative. Yet how can a sound signature be negative..if you really dig it?
Btw my friend is seriously pondering whether or not to sell his DT1990 in favour of the SR2..and he loves his Beyer.
After thinking about this for a bit, what you said makes sense to me. Planar type bass, ES sounding mids, though the treble isn't quite Beyeresque to my ears. I would actually prefer a little more extension at the very top. Listening to Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, those big cymbal crashes are actually a bit dull. The lower treble is similar to Beyerdynamic though. Just a touch of EQ work between 1k and 8k did the trick for me. Be it physical or brain burn in, the SR2 has definitely improved with time... And it didn't take a whole lot. I just wish the bass wasn't so linear. One of the reasons I prefer dynamic over planar.

Regarding the cup issues, I just noticed that the right cup is looser than the left. I'll tighten it up and see what happens from there. I find the SR2 very comfortable. Clamp force is just right, good seal, and the pads are great.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #114 of 205
I have two SR2 here. One is very warm and the other one has far less bass and lower mids and the extension in the higher frequency ist more pronounced. The reason are the pads (both with the warmer sounding pads). The pads on the warmer sounding SR2 are much softer

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #115 of 205
I have two SR2 here. One is very warm and the other one has far less bass and lower mids and the extension in the higher frequency ist more pronounced. The reason are the pads (both with the warmer sounding pads). The pads on the warmer sounding SR2 are much softer
Are these both yours? If so, how much head time did it take for the pads to soften up to this point?

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #116 of 205
His amps are all low output impedance (Magni Heresy, V200, V220).

Edith: I gather that is what you were refering to? I can imagine the SR2 being a bad match with higher output impedance amps. 20 ohm for a dynamic driver is really not a hell of a lot of damping factor.

I'm more into portable setups so everything is low OI :D And I do have to admit that my headphone collection is quite small relative to IEMs. Also, relative to Beyer, most of their headphones I tried in the past were too bright for me. I'm using now their T5p 2nd gen and SR2 comes very close in treble response driven from MAX or with BX2 amp. Mids are a little more transparent, less colored, and bass is faster, punchier, and has shorter decay in SR2 when compared to T5p2. So, perhaps, that's what you refer to as faster PMD type of bass? And of course, open back SR2 has a wider more open soundstage and better imaging relative to T5p2.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #117 of 205
That is valuable information! It would explain why measurements and impressions are so different and why people are reporting big changes with burn in.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #118 of 205
I'm more into portable setups so everything is low OI :D And I do have to admit that my headphone collection is quite small relative to IEMs. Also, relative to Beyer, most of their headphones I tried in the past were too bright for me. I'm using now their T5p 2nd gen and SR2 comes very close in treble response driven from MAX or with BX2 amp. Mids are a little more transparent, less colored, and bass is faster, punchier, and has shorter decay in SR2 when compared to T5p2. So, perhaps, that's what you refer to as faster PMD type of bass? And of course, open back SR2 has a wider more open soundstage and better imaging relative to T5p2.
Being that I don't own the T5p 2nd (always wanted), do you think it's worthwhile to obtain if I also own the SR2?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #120 of 205
Being that I don't own the T5p 2nd (always wanted), do you think it's worthwhile to obtain if I also own the SR2?

Considering Beyer already released 3rd gen recently, you can probably get a good deal on 2nd hand 2nd gen :D, but it is an overlap. Plus, I had to upgrade the earpads (using leather ones, Dan Clark's Alpha pads) and have silver cable, all that just to bring up bass a little more. Tbh, the only advantage in this case would be more isolation since T5p is not really open back, instead it has large 5mm vent on each earcup which does leak out the sound when you sitting close to it. I'm in a situation where I always need to have privacy when listening, so I never use open back headphones, only for testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back