Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #556 of 901
What do the fenestrated pads do for the sound?
They can open it up some and bring in the highs more. But just a little bit, too much and the sound can get hard and dry sounding, and lacking in bass. It is a balance.

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #557 of 901
They can open it up some and bring in the highs more. But just a little bit, too much and the sound can get hard and dry sounding, and lacking in bass. It is a balance.
To me, the best features are the bass and the mids, so I don't want to mess with either of those.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #558 of 901
It's not about the ear-pads, but rather the drivers. Since I have two pairs of the SR2 I could easily tell the difference in sound between the two pads (one used, one basically brand-new). They have the same ear-pads, same cable, were driver off the same source.

That's why I am just interested in an amp that will bring out that same 'stock' sound.
Look at 'Mr has 2 sets of the same headphones ' guy over here' lmao :)

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #559 of 901
Look at 'Mr has 2 sets of the same headphones ' guy over here' lmao :)
Tell me you're cool without telling me you're cool 😎

What do the fenestrated pads do for the sound?
I think I posted the pad comparison somewhere on this thread, it's also in my review near the end:

Update Feb/2022 — thorough pad comparison"​

The Approach

This whole A/B test was made possible with the help of iBasso, who supplied me two identical pairs of the SR2. By this I mean that I have two SR2 headphones with the exact same cables. If it weren’t for these two pairs, I wouldn’t have been able to write a valid A/B comparison due to the great amount of time it takes to swap out the ear-pads. This way I had two pairs of headphones that only had different pads, allowing me to just take one off my head, put the other one on and plug it in.

I personally believe that it’s crucial to have two identical pairs of anything in order to write a valid A/B test… especially when audio is in question. This eliminates the most subjective factor which is audio memory — the time it takes to swap out the pads just presents a major flaw due to the fact that anything said or written based on such an A/B test would be based on the very subjective audio memory. While the test I carried out was also based on my audio memory, it significantly cut down the time needed to be able to swap between the two variants. It took me only a couple of seconds to swap between the two variants, while it would’ve taken a couple minutes (if not more than 10 minutes) to perform a pad swap.

Setup:

iBasso DX300 MAX
Android OS
Ultimate Mode On
Filter D3
Low Gain

SR2 with the balanced 4.4mm iBasso CB17 cable

Stock ear-pads — small perforation vs larger perforation

The difference between these two variations is beyond significant. In terms of sheer loudness difference, I would say that the larger perforation ear-pads are 25%-30%. Besides loudness, the larger perforation ear-pads lose that vacuum-like seal that the stock pads offer. This affects the SR2 in a couple of ways. The first being the isolation, and the second being the airiness. In other words, the larger perforation pads sound more open-back, while the stock pads give more of a closed-back experience.

In terms of sound performance, once again, it comes as no surprise that the two ear-pads significantly differ and affect it. In short: the smaller perforation pads offer a much more intense presentation with softer highs and much deeper lows, while the larger perforation pads offer an open-back-like experience where the highs are more pronounced, the upper mids are sharper, and the lows are more tamed.

Let’s talk about vocals for a second. On the larger perforation ones, they are sharper and more airy, but that might not be what everybody is looking for. From just A/B testing between these two pads, I personally preferred the smaller perforation ones because they have more pleasant-sounding vocals.

As expected, both have their pros and cons. The smaller perforation ear-pads provide the physical sensation of rumble, which is something that the larger perforation pads don’t offer, and this rumble sensation mostly comes from that vacuum-like seal that the larger perforation pads don’t have. The larger perforation pads have more details in the upper range, resulting in crisper and clearer treble tones. The biggest advantage that the larger perforation pads have over the smaller perforation ones is the extra space in the soundstage and overall presentation. Elements have more room to breathe, and thus have better definition and clarity. The smaller perforation pads offer a more intense, cinematic-like experience, and that’s something that not everyone is looking for. Also, that extra oomph and rumble in the lower end on the smaller perforation pads provides a less clear, muddier sound (in comparison to the larger perforation ones), and I think that this alone might be the reason why someone migrates to the larger perforation pads.

As a whole, my preference is the stock pads (smaller perforation) because of the more intense sound presentation, and I’m also a sucker for that vacuum-like seal and physical sensation of rumble. It brings more excitement to the SR2.

I would say that anyone looking for a more balanced and neutral sound signature should go for the larger perforation pads.

Stock small perforation ear-pads vs Dekoni Audio Elite Hybrid Fostex TH / Denon AH ear-pads

The Dekoni Audio pads offer a completely different feel from the stock pads. In terms of its physical characteristics, they are noticeably smaller than the stock pads. This goes for both the inner and outer diameter of the pads, but also for the the thickness and surface area. Though it didn’t appear to be a major difference when measured and A/B compared the pads, on the ears it’s quite significant. The Dekoni pads feel more cozy, which is nothing new for velour.

At first I thought the sound would be louder on the Dekoni pads, but it turned out it’s completely the opposite. The stock pads are considerably louder than the Dekoni pads, which I’m thinking has a lot to do with the materials and the inner diameter of the pads. In terms of the sound, it kind of falls between the stock small perforation and the larger perforation pads. The small perforation pads have a bigger sound in general, and they still have a deeper and more present low end. Even though the Dekoni pads have less presence, they are still capable of that physical sensation of rumble that the stock pads have. Something which I was very surprised by is the loudness. The mids sound better and more refined on the Dekoni pads. Also, I found the timbre and overall tonality to be better on the Dekoni pads. The highs remain at a somewhat same level, no major differences there. If anything, the Dekoni pads are a tad brighter. Now, the most significant difference is the soundstage and imaging. This is where the thinner nature of the Dekoni plays a major role, because this is what’s causing the smaller soundstage and overall even more of a closed-back experience.

I would say that the Dekoni pads might be the most refined out of the three, but am still not 100% sure on that. They are all different, that’s for sure, and this is something that allows you to play around with the pads and find what suits you the most.

I am personally having a hard time choosing between the Dekoni pads and the stock small perforation pads.

The stock pads give you a true grand experience and presentation, very intimate, growling lows, good mids, good highs. The Dekoni pads give you a more tame low end, mids with better tonality and timbre, and good highs.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #560 of 901
I find the resolution to be about perfect. I can definitely hear everything the song has to offer, without getting detail annoying or distraction if you know what I mean. They also seem to scale well with higher quality gear. I also find the imaging very nice.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #561 of 901
Trying something new today. SR2's with my Little Dot MK9. Certainly is thick and bassy. :smile:

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #562 of 901
Didn't really enjoy them on the LD MK9. That could be improved with tube rolling as the amp is set up for very thick and bassy.

Much better today on my Violectric V220. The step up in clarity was wonderful! But still warm enough to feel and enjoy that bass.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #563 of 901
Let us know how they compare with the Elex :)
Well I finally got around to it. These are VERY different from the Elex's!

I have been using the SR2's for 12 straight days.
First up, these headphones LOVE the Violectric V220!

I was browsing bands alphabetically and came across Genesis. I ended up doing a fair bit of testing with Congo, Misunderstanding and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.

Switching back and forth with the Elex's was a bit of a shock. First reactions to the Elex's were:
1) Way less bass, which surprised me.
2) Less visceral!
3) Requires way more power
4) Higher levels of clarity. You hear everything.
5) Better balanced. The Elex presents everything well, including busy or noisy music.

Breaking my 12 day streak pointed out some differences with the SR2's.

1) BASS! This is just about Cascades level bass. It is loud and in your face. I didn't find the bass bled into the mids, but it may be an issue overall. See point # 4.
2) Mids are awesome and the reason I bought these. You will hear all the vocals pretty clearly. A winner.
3) They have presence and are visceral. You will feel the music as well as hear it. Very involving. And fun!
4) I had a thought the first night I tried them and it recurs daily. To me, they are very selective on music that sounds great. Any music that is "noisy" or has busy passages does not come off well to me. With clean music, they are awesome. But if you listen to certain music such as Nine Inch Nails or even the new Black Keys album, they don't sound pleasing to me.
I went through my Florence and the Machine collection and they sounded Great on everything!

And I was really surprised at how much the Violectric V220 brought their best out over the iFi Pro iCAN. Sounded bassier and more alive. And I went back and forth repeatedly. It was not even close.

Initially the the SR2's blew away the Elex, to my ears. All that bass and mids made everything a party. But when I adjusted back to the Elex sound and tried a variety of music, I realized that they are a better overall headphone. But with certain music, I would pick the SR2. :L3000:

After this little head to head, I think that a Much more interesting head to head would be the SR2's vs the CFA Cascades.

My initial reaction to these headphones is that they are a keeper. Not top of my list, but a fun headphone. Much like the Cascades and the HiFiman HE-R9's.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #564 of 901

I was browsing bands alphabetically and came across Genesis. I ended up doing a fair bit of testing with Congo, Misunderstanding and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.

Switching back and forth with the Elex's was a bit of a shock. First reactions to the Elex's were:
2) Less visceral!
5) Better balanced. The Elex presents everything well, including busy or noisy music.

1) BASS! This is just about Cascades level bass. It is loud and in your face. I didn't find the bass bled into the mids, but it may be an issue overall. See point # 4.
2) Mids are awesome and the reason I bought these. You will hear all the vocals pretty clearly. A winner.
3) They have presence and are visceral. You will feel the music as well as hear it. Very involving. And fun!
4) I had a thought the first night I tried them and it recurs daily. To me, they are very selective on music that sounds great. Any music that is "noisy" or has busy passages does not come off well to me. With clean music, they are awesome. But if you listen to certain music such as Nine Inch Nails or even the new Black Keys album, they don't sound pleasing to me.
I went through my Florence and the Machine collection and they sounded Great on everything!

And I was really surprised at how much the Violectric V220 brought their best out over the iFi Pro iCAN. Sounded bassier and more alive. And I went back and forth repeatedly. It was not even close.

Initially the the SR2's blew away the Elex, to my ears. All that bass and mids made everything a party. But when I adjusted back to the Elex sound and tried a variety of music, I realized that they are a better overall headphone. But with certain music, I would pick the SR2. :L3000:

After this little head to head, I think that a Much more interesting head to head would be the SR2's vs the CFA Cascades.

My initial reaction to these headphones is that they are a keeper. Not top of my list, but a fun headphone. Much like the Cascades and the HiFiman HE-R9's.
Pretty much what I was expecting.l so that's great. No doubt an excellent pair to compliment the HD700

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #565 of 901
It's a real hard choice between the SR2 and the SHR1840. No dealers close by stock either of them for a listen so will be a blind/reviews purchase. Guess I'll just have to buy both :p

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #566 of 901

2) Less visceral!

I don't know for other amplifiers, but the sound performance significantly varied between DX300 + AMP11Mk1, DX300 + AMP12, and DX300 MAX. Bass is one of those elements that can go from the fun and deep (AMP11Mk1) to mature and controlled (DX300 MAX).

You mention the Cascades, which I have been hearing a lot about, and if they deliver on-par bass levels as the SR2 when paired with the AMP11Mk1, then I'm certainly interested in hearing those!

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #567 of 901
It's a real hard choice between the SR2 and the SHR1840. No dealers close by stock either of them for a listen so will be a blind/reviews purchase. Guess I'll just have to buy both :p
There is a HUGE difference between the two. I say that as a guy that used to own the SR1540's, which I found incredibly soft and boring. Assuming the 1840 is anywhere close to the 1540 you will be very disappointed with them compared to the SR2's.

I bought my SR2's from Shenzhen Audio in China. Shipping was Thursday to Tuesday. And they went through Europe and across the Atlantic.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #568 of 901
I don't know for other amplifiers, but the sound performance significantly varied between DX300 + AMP11Mk1, DX300 + AMP12, and DX300 MAX. Bass is one of those elements that can go from the fun and deep (AMP11Mk1) to mature and controlled (DX300 MAX).

You mention the Cascades, which I have been hearing a lot about, and if they deliver on-par bass levels as the SR2 when paired with the AMP11Mk1, then I'm certainly interested in hearing those!
I am not surprised that they are good with a DAP as they are super easy to drive.

But you have not heard their best until you try them with a nice desktop system.
My system is laptop to Schiit BF2 to Violectric V220.

Oh, the Cascades are awesome, except for that horrible headband!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #569 of 901
There is a HUGE difference between the two. I say that as a guy that used to own the SR1540's, which I found incredibly soft and boring. Assuming the 1840 is anywhere close to the 1540 you will be very disappointed with them compared to the SR2's.

I bought my SR2's from Shenzhen Audio in China. Shipping was Thursday to Tuesday. And they went through Europe and across the Atlantic.
It's been mentioned that the SHR1840 can be a a little too behaved at times. I don't mind tweaking with some EQ. I primarily go for separation, soundstage and tone

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #570 of 901
It's been mentioned that the SHR1840 can be a a little too behaved at times. I don't mind tweaking with some EQ. I primarily go for separation, soundstage and tone
They will be polar opposites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back