Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #196 of 901
@voja "Something special about them is that they create a very specific suction-like feeling. " - Just a fancy way to describe a good-tight clamp which in conjunction with their pleather/leather memory foam pads help achieve a good seal.
See, you're doing it as well. If your review is to serve a practical purpose, I think linguistic embellishments like "something special" "very specific" are a disservice. These sound exactly like sales pitches. I should know. It's what I do for a living.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #197 of 901
The 1st post was really over cooked, and only continued to overheat from there. That particular poster hasn't made any comments for awhile. I do believe it can stem from over excitement, but one sh apply some tact and professionalism for sure.
As for George, he's the one who ultimately sold me on the 99 Classics, plus his equalization marvel. I can't be too hard on the guy, but I take what he said in his video without much seriousness.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #198 of 901
My post above came off as too enthusiastic for something I've yet to try which rightfully may raise some eyebrows.
Having owned a couple ibasso products (it01s, It04, dc01) ibasso has cemented an image of quality equal to the top competition for a lesser price. I came to this decision after jumping through iems both above and below the it04's price. Comparing It04 to CFA's andromedas the difference is almost miniscule that it does not justify the price difference (imo, same could be said with ibasso products I mentioned). Thus I am enthusiastic to have a listen at there new top of the line headphone.
Take this with a grain of salt it's all opinion.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #199 of 901
"Something special about them is that they create a very specific suction-like feeling. " - Just a fancy way to describe a good-tight clamp which in conjunction with their pleather/leather memory foam pads help achieve a good seal.
See, you're doing it as well. If your review is to serve a practical purpose, I think linguistic embellishments like "something special" "very specific" are a disservice. These sound exactly like sales pitches. I should know. It's what I do for a living.
I know what I am doing, and am definitely not putting any make-up on what I say =) I am not a poet like many reviews in the industry are.

I have other pleather ear-pads with a tight clamp force, they don't provide the same seal, therefore I believe what I said accurately described how I feel about the seal. I disagree to call this "just a fancy way to describe a good-tight clamp". The Sivga Phoenix has a super-tight clamp force, and the driver is literally on your ear, yet there is not seal feeling in them. If you ever put on a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, it's a similar feeling to that. This is why I said suction-like.

I don't use linguistic embellishments, this is the reason I started writing reviews, because everybody is throwing terms without backing them up. It's not always easy to express how you feel about something, but when I describe sound performance, I explain my used terminology.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #200 of 901
Here's my very understandable and basic take (super minature review). They sound great and better then the price implies. They sound especially good amped and balanced. I have nothing to gain from this post, paid for these headphones out of limited funds and am keeping my set.
Cheers.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #201 of 901
Here's my very understandable and basic take (super minature review). They sound great and better then the price implies. They sound especially good amped and balanced. I have nothing to gain from this post, paid for these headphones out of limited funds and am keeping my set.
Cheers.
Hi @Carlsan would you please compare the SR2's to other headphones / IEM's you have or have listened to extensively. Are the SR2's now your top headphone?

Yesterday I received my Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper headphones, and now they are my best closed back headphone and best BT headphones.

I'm wondering how the SR2 compares to the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper headphones and similar headphones in the $500-$800 range,

I'd like to know if the SR2's are going to be a step up from the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper's before I decide to purchase the SR2's.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #202 of 901
Can you please compare them to other headphones / IEM's you have or have listened to extensively? Are the SR2's now your top headphone?

Yesterday I received my Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper headphones, and now they are my best closed back headphone and best BT headphone, so I'm wondering how the SR2 compares to them and similar headphones, before I decide to purchase the SR2's.

When I get a chance I'll do some sort of comparison. Just wanted to get it out there that these are fine headphones. I don't compare iem's and full size headphones, that's like comparing apples and oranges. I've heard good things about the Amiron's but don't own a pair, glad you enjoy them. I do think the SR2's tend to play best with good sources from my initial listening. If you don't have a decent amp or powerful DAP then you may want to skip this headphone, or at least until there are many more reviews.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #203 of 901
When I get a chance I'll do some sort of comparison. Just wanted to get it out there that these are fine headphones. I don't compare iem's and full size headphones, that's like comparing apples and oranges. I've heard good things about the Amiron's but don't own a pair, glad you enjoy them. I do think the SR2's tend to play best with good sources from my initial listening. If you don't have a decent amp or powerful DAP then you may want to skip this headphone, or at least until there are many more reviews.
Thanks, I'll look for your future review posts. I use a FiiO M15 / Topping A90 to drive my headphones so I think they can drive the SR2's ok.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #204 of 901
I had a listen right out of the box for a about 2-hours. These are my early impressions.
What was apparent the moment I had a listen was the incredible sub-bass rumble. I could feel the cups rumbling down my head as they slid into place.
----
These are lacking in my preferred department out of the box. The SR2 sounds noticeably muddy, running single-ended out off a smartphone (Lg g7 quad dac). Switching over to the Meze classics’ balanced cable running off Audio-Opus #2 I noticed more impact and an increase in separation/quality. I believe the stock cable may be the way to go, though I lack the amp to utilize it effectively. An even better source/amp, I think, will make these sing.
----
That sub-bass…. is too much, this may be preferred by some but not for my genre of music (classical -dynamic orchestra). It dominates at times while everything else is just slightly placed behind and just a bit quieter. IMO they could use more punch(quick attack and decay), and crispness.

Taking off the headphones while playing music, I can hear parts I considered drowned off by the sub-bass. They make nice miniature speakers, they even vibrate onto the table. The Sub-bass may be too pronounced. I believe burning-in may tame it to an extent. I’ve tried the hd800 and owned the hd598 so I have an idea of what open back headphones feel like. These both feel and sound like a closed-back. Its a keeper for me, a compliment to highly detailed and at times dry IEMs. I'll try to check in near or over the 100hr mark.
---
Reviews claimed these do not leak as much for an open back. I think these claims were made in comparison to other open backs. THEY LEAK, just as much as any open back, I would assume.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #205 of 901
I had a listen right out of the box for a about 2-hours. These are my early impressions.
What was apparent the moment I had a listen was the incredible sub-bass rumble. I could feel the cups rumbling down my head as they slid into place.
----
These are lacking in my preferred department out of the box. The SR2 sounds noticeably muddy, running single-ended out off a smartphone (Lg g7 quad dac). Switching over to the Meze classics’ balanced cable running off Audio-Opus #2 I noticed more impact and an increase in separation/quality. I believe the stock cable may be the way to go, though I lack the amp to utilize it effectively. An even better source/amp, I think, will make these sing.
----
That sub-bass…. is too much, this may be preferred by some but not for my genre of music (classical -dynamic orchestra). It dominates at times while everything else is just slightly placed behind and just a bit quieter. IMO they could use more punch(quick attack and decay), and crispness.

Taking off the headphones while playing music, I can hear parts I considered drowned off by the sub-bass. They make nice miniature speakers, they even vibrate onto the table. The Sub-bass may be too pronounced. I believe burning-in may tame it to an extent. I’ve tried the hd800 and owned the hd598 so I have an idea of what open back headphones feel like. These both feel and sound like a closed-back. Its a keeper for me, a compliment to highly detailed and at times dry IEMs. I'll try to check in near or over the 100hr mark.
---
Reviews claimed these do not leak as much for an open back. I think these claims were made in comparison to other open backs. THEY LEAK, just as much as any open back, I would assume.

They don't sound like open backs because they aren't, they are semi-closed and its clear as day to me. Im not sure why iBasso decided to label them as open backs *Shrugs*

But also I directly compared these to my T1s, my AD1000X and my LCD2's and these leaked at least 50% less sound at the some volume, but they still do leak sound. Which again, all points to these being semi-closed phones. I don't think anyone here claimed they didn't leak sound at all lol

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #208 of 901
I will have to check the exact dimension but the pads off these fit my Beyerdynamics the exact same way as dekoni fostex th/denon ah pads. Swapping Pads on these is tricky as you have to fit the lip of the pads between this black disk and the metal housing. The stock pads that came on them have some memory so they kind of retain the shape and go on much easier then the second pair of pads or another set of pads. I will say I see no reason why with enough patience why dekoni beyerdynamic pads, Fostex th pass, and maybe with enough stretch brainwavz round pads. Or I guess xl pads if you are ok with a little play. But the actual adapter ring dimension for these is pretty much the same as the lip on my Beyerdynamic tygrs. I haven’t messed with more pad swapping as I want to burn the sr2s in a bit more before changing the sound. They also seem very similar to the vokyl erupt pad size. Hope this helps a little.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #209 of 901
I will have to check the exact dimension but the pads off these fit my Beyerdynamics the exact same way as dekoni fostex th/denon ah pads. Swapping Pads on these is tricky as you have to fit the lip of the pads between this black disk and the metal housing. The stock pads that came on them have some memory so they kind of retain the shape and go on much easier then the second pair of pads or another set of pads. I will say I see no reason why with enough patience why dekoni beyerdynamic pads, Fostex th pass, and maybe with enough stretch brainwavz round pads. Or I guess xl pads if you are ok with a little play. But the actual adapter ring dimension for these is pretty much the same as the lip on my Beyerdynamic tygrs. I haven’t messed with more pad swapping as I want to burn the sr2s in a bit more before changing the sound. They also seem very similar to the vokyl erupt pad size. Hope this helps a little.
That definitely helps. Thanks a lot. That pegs them right in the average size range I was hoping to hear. I have a lot of pads that will fit these.

And man, time after time, I keep coming back to the Brainwavz angled lambskin pads. I love those. They are a stretch to get on, and you do need to aggressively shape them a bit, but they're great. I'm trying custom pads from a Belarusian company called Vesper Audio soon, so that'll be an interesting first.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #210 of 901
[QUOTE="Bboy500, post: 15856205, member: 348833"

But also I directly compared these to my T1s, my AD1000X and my LCD2's and these leaked at least 50% less sound at the some volume, but they still do leak sound. Which again, all points to these being semi-closed phones. I don't think anyone here claimed they didn't leak sound at all lol
[/QUOTE]

I use them in the living room, lately mostly after work, and the wife can't hear them over the TV. She hears my open headphones. It it was a completely quiet room, I would think she would hear them. I wouldn't take these to a Library, unless you are away from everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back