iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #241 of 249
How does this baby fare against the RSA F-35?
I have never heard the F-35 so can't comment. I found no shortcomings at all in the PB3 and am only selling it as I no longer have any need for a 2.5mm balanced source.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #242 of 249
Can you connect the PB3 to a computer via the charging port as a USB input instead of the 3.5mm Line IN?

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #243 of 249
No, the Mockingbird is strictly an analog device, however it delivers superb sound from either the balanced or SE outputs. It also has excellent battery run time.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #244 of 249
No, the Mockingbird is strictly an analog device, however it delivers superb sound from either the balanced or SE outputs. It also has excellent battery run time.

Ah ok. Thats interesting. So that brings me to my next question. If I have something like a Dragonfly Red, can I use that as an analog input to the Mockingbird? Im assuming I can, but would it positively impact the sound quality? Im thinking this for my chain:

Computer --> Jitterbug --> ifi ipurifier 3 --> Dragonfly Red --> PB3 --> balanced output.

Would this work?

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #245 of 249
Ah ok. Thats interesting. So that brings me to my next question. If I have something like a Dragonfly Red, can I use that as an analog input to the Mockingbird? Im assuming I can, but would it positively impact the sound quality? Im thinking this for my chain:

Computer --> Jitterbug --> ifi ipurifier 3 --> Dragonfly Red --> PB3 --> balanced output.

Would this work?
Yep

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #246 of 249

Would this work?
I think that combination should deliver excellent performance!

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #247 of 249
Nostalgia night to kick off the new year!!!

Autechre via Shanling M5 > Phobia Audio IC > iBasso PB3 > Meze 99 Classics w/7N OCC Meze cable terminated to XLR with 2.5mm adapter.

Impressed with how spacious and controlled PB3 through 2.5mm sounds. Reigns in the bottom end on 99 Classics and gives them better staging.

It's fun rediscovering old gear!

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #248 of 249
Can take advantage of a used deal, but the owner (second owner) says the battery now only last about 3-4 hours...

I didn't seem to run into any issues with playing and charging at the same time.

Is it safe to do this with the PB3 or will it hurt the battery eventually? Also, is the battery chloride ion or Lithium polymer type?

I'm seeing conflicting data.

@Paul - iBasso

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #249 of 249
Can take advantage of a used deal, but the owner (second owner) says the battery now only last about 3-4 hours...

Is it safe to do this with the PB3 or will it hurt the battery eventually? Also, is the battery chloride ion or Lithium polymer type?

I'm seeing conflicting data.

@Paul - iBasso
You can play it and charge it but when not in use and charged, it is best then to take it off of the charger. The battery is a lithium. If not using the PB3 for a while, run the battery down a little before storing it. That is best for the longevity of the battery.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back