iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by nmatheis, Dec 23, 2016.

1. alphanumerix1
    From what i understand the pb3 is neutral and will just enhance whatever sound signature you hook it up too.

2. alphanumerix1
    Perhaps a pb4 is in the works :wink:

3. Blackground
    My pb3 wont turn on?! The red led charging light flashes when plugged in to charge, but no blue light when I "turn it on".

Any ideas or anyone else experience the same issue?

4. alphanumerix1
    Sorry this isn't related to your question.

But do you have pic of the opus1 stacked with the pb3?

I basically have the same setup with you minus the pb3 and i'm looking to purchase.

5. KK-android
    yea, I think so too.
    cause dx200's amp3 card has just 2.5mm balanced line out connector.

so, they should to release their own portable headphone amp product.

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  6. Paul - iBasso
    Were you able to get this figured out? Did it charge for you?

7. Blackground
    Hey Paul,

Not much has changed, I am not sure what else to try. I left it plugged in overnight to charge and it still wouldn't turn on. I did notice I could get it to turn on when plugged in but it dies before I get a chance to listen. Great device, non the less.

Thanks!

8. Paul - iBasso
    Please email me so we can get this resolved as soon as possible.

9. pr0b3r
    IT03 not in the pictures. Borrowed by my brother, that's why.

10. pr0b3r
    IT03 not in the picture. I lent them to my brother. I'll take a picture of them with the stack next time. As for the sound of this stack, I can't comment for now. I haven't spent enough time listening to them. Just pics for now.

Opus#1 + PB3 + EN2J

21389184_10214108852906020_1448199917_o.jpg
    21363589_10214108853306030_784673900_o.jpg
    21390443_10214108853586037_33050374_o.jpg
    21439548_10214108853666039_419931897_o.jpg

11. alphanumerix1
    Thanks! Looks like stacks quite well cheers :)

12. someyoungguy
    I saw a PB3 come up cheap on a second hand site and read over everything in this thread. As mentioned before there's little out there in terms of comparisons, and the Headfonia review seems to be the only one around.

I've been running a DX90 into a Mojo and was curious about the comments here that the PB3 improved on the Mojo sound. After having the PB3 for about a week or so now, I'd concur with the earlier comments here: I prefer the Mojo + PB3 sound to just the Mojo alone.

Main benefit for me is that I always felt like the Mojo just didn't quite have enough bass - it's there and it certainly goes deep when called for, but overall it feels like there's just a dB or two missing across the whole bass range (but maybe that's just my taste). So I've been resorting to things like EQing an ingoing signal feeding the Mojo in order to get more bass out the analog end. But the PB3 has fixed that - there's a lift in the bass range that complements the Mojo well. It isn't overpowering or bloated.

Doing quick side by side comparisons of Mojo vs Mojo + PB3 I feel like the sound is perhaps darker, and the emphasis across the range is less on the upper mids and lower treble than with the Mojo alone. At times if I'm listening to something that has a lot of lower mids going on the Mojo + PB3 combo can be too overpowering and I find I have to turn it down, more so than just with the Mojo alone.

But I've been walking back and forth from work using the DX90+Mojo+PB3 combo all week, and using it at home, and with Computer (Foobar) -> Mojo -> PB3, and overall I'm preferring the sound of the Mojo + PB3. It feels weightier with a good resolution and attack. Simple to use, has the typical tight fit jacks that iBasso has, which feels like they'll keep their grip for years, and is quite a sexy looking slab of metal too. This is a bit of a clunky combination for a portable solution, but damn it sounds so good I'll be keeping it for a while yet :)

Here's some obligatory pics to get an idea of size and stacking
    pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

pr0b3r likes this.
  13. nmatheis Contributor
    @someyoungguy - It seems your comparing single-ended output from both sources. That's definitely not where PB3 shines. To really hear it at it's best, you need to be using PB3's 2.5mm balanced output. It has significantly more dynamics, increased treble energy, and corresponding larger soundstage. It's such an improvement, I honestly don't even listen to PB3 unless I'm using the balanced output.

14. someyoungguy
    Yeah, problem is at the moment all I have is non-balanced headphones. I'm thinking about picking up the new Sennheiser HD660S at some point in the not too distant future so will be able to hear for myself soon :)

nmatheis likes this.
  15. nmatheis Contributor
    Yes, definitely do that. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!