iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Mar 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #301 of 1,604
Running the HD650's balanced with the HD650 cable terminated to the Hirose is fine. The bass impact is there and well controlled. I am not sure what a reviewer was listening to but it was different from all the sources and music I have. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #302 of 1,604

Quote:
Running the HD650's balanced with the HD650 cable terminated to the Hirose is fine. The bass impact is there and well controlled. I am not sure what a reviewer was listening to but it was different from all the sources and music I have. 

Thanks. I am looking forward to hearing it on Saturday if I get to the NYC meet.

You confirmed my impression of Headfonia.com. Mike does the best he can, but occasionally he just doesn't hear things like me, or other people for that matter. I am sure he is honest and sincere, however. He also take amazing pictures.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #303 of 1,604
Wow!
I ordered Monday afternoon.  It shipped Tuesday.  48 hours after payment, I received a tracking number.  49 hours after payment, I received the PB2 and balanced Senn. cord.  Now, I did cheat by living in Taiwan, but that's still pretty fast!  I'm bummed that it's black and not the silver I ordered, but I'll get over it.  I'm even more bummed that I just realized that the line out on my E7/E9 (only DAC option I have at the moment) is RCA.  So I need an adaptor and can't really give it a proper listen.  (Hmmmmm - in 49 hours I could get a DB1?!)

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #304 of 1,604

Quote:

I can't comment on how the PB2 sounds, as I have never heard it, but I find that the HD600 in my balanced setup (DB1 --> SR71b) has great bass impact and control.  I would have to go along with what Jamato has said. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #305 of 1,604

Quote:
I can't comment on how the PB2 sounds, as I have never heard it, but I find that the HD600 in my balanced setup (DB1 --> SR71b) has great bass impact and control.  I would have to go along with what Jamato has said. 

Thanks. The review at headfonia.com said that the SR71B had more bass impact, but how much more if any is the question that is pretty much answered for me by jamato and Hiflight. Sometime people just hear things differently. I am going to have a chance to hear both of the amps this Saturday if I can make it to the NYC meet which I am really trying to do. I will report back and everyone what I think.

Jamato: Does the SR71B have significantly more bass impact than the PB2? Your response would help me, because I am slightly confused right now. In any case, it is all good, because I will hopefully listen to both amps for myself this weekend.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #306 of 1,604

Quote:
Jamato: Does the SR71B have significantly more bass impact than the PB2? Your response would help me, because I am slightly confused right now. In any case, it is all good, because I will hopefully listen to both amps for myself this weekend.

The SR71b does have a lot more bass impact than the PB1 if that helps.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #307 of 1,604
What effect does "stacking" or doubling up on the buffers have?
(I don't know what buffer or an opamp are, but since I'm about to start fiddling with them...)
I did order a TopKit, so I suppose I'll end up just sticking that stuff in and leaving it be?

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #308 of 1,604

Quote:
What effect does "stacking" or doubling up on the buffers have?
(I don't know what buffer or an opamp are, but since I'm about to start fiddling with them...)
I did order a TopKit, so I suppose I'll end up just sticking that stuff in and leaving it be?

It effectively doubles the output current but also decreases the input impedance as the buffers now are acting in parallel.  A high input impedance is desirable for an effective buffer stage.  Stacking will improve the headroom but will not greatly increase the volume as to double the perceived loudness requires that you increase the power by a factor of 10.  Stacking also doubles the quiescent current draw of the buffer stage and will significantly shorten battery run time. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of stacking, although there are others who feel to the contrary.  I just feel that the negatives outweigh the positive benefits of stacking.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #309 of 1,604

Quote:

I have to agree with Jam here...I am a stock cable guy...I think more important are the interconnect cables from source to amp (which I prefer silver)...the HD650 cable produces a perfect sound.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #310 of 1,604
Will running the PB2 balanced in and balanced out yield more headroom and/or volume than running it single in and balanced out?  (I don't currently have a balanced source option, but am contemplating one.)

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #311 of 1,604

No, the same amount of output will be provided from the balanced output regardless of whether the input is SE or balanced assuming equal input voltage from each source. 
Quote:
Will running the PB2 balanced in and balanced out yield more headroom and/or volume than running it single in and balanced out?  (I don't currently have a balanced source option, but am contemplating one.)

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #312 of 1,604
the stork dropped off my pelican today. 
tongue.gif

so far, i'm pretty impressed.
the build quality is excellent.  the matte finish is pretty neat-o. 
biggrin.gif

so i just had to give it a whirl with the HE-6... and, as reported, it drives this headphone respectably.

to my surprise, the sound (using moon audio blue dragon LOD) is warmer and more tame in the highs than from my Virtue TWO.2.
i was playing it at 3 o'clock on the volume knob, and getting a nice full sound.

crazy!

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #313 of 1,604
The Boomslang 2 is coming out:

Here are some of the features:

1, Dual WM8740 +CS8416 +TAS1020B

2, 110dB SN and 101dB Crosstalk
3, Separated battery power supplies for the Analog section and Digital section.
4, Balanced line out and 3.5mm line out
5, It will take USB input (up to 24/96) and optical and coaxial inputs (up to 24/192)
6, Low pass filter rollable.
7, 20 hours play time.
8, And it is the same size and same case finish as the PB2.

The selling price is $299. 

The total sales price of the first 10 will be contributed to the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief . That is the total sales price not a percentage or $2990.00

They will be taking preorders with shipping around the 6 to 10th of April. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #314 of 1,604

Quote:
The Boomslang 2 is coming out:

Here are some of the features:

1, Dual WM8740 +CS8416 +TAS1020B

2, 110dB SN and 101dB Crosstalk
3, Separated battery power supplies for the Analog section and Digital section.
4, Balanced line out and 3.5mm line out
5, It will take USB input (up to 24/96) and optical and coaxial inputs (up to 24/192)
6, Low pass filter rollable.
7, 20 hours play time.
8, And it is the same size and same case finish as the PB2.

The selling price is $299. 

The total sales price of the first 10 will be contributed to the Japanese Red Cross. That is the total sales price not a percentage or $2990.00. 

They will be taking preorders with shipping around the 6 to 10th of April. 

Nice! Sounds really good. I am looking forward to impressions. I wonder how close the DB2 and the PB2 are to most desktop amps and DACs. Like 90%?

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #315 of 1,604
I think the division of the power supply between the digital and analog section is a big step. I also like the idea of the rollable low pass filter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back