iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Feb 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #166 of 1,604
Yes, the DB2 will offer single ended input and output and dual dacs and I would imagine some other refinements. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #167 of 1,604
I heard that the DB2 has both balance and SE outputs and dual DAC.  But if they use the same WM8740 than it is not much of an upgrade for me.  It will be nice if someone can ask them if the DACs they use in the DB2 are the same.

By the way, Jam, there are no SE vs balance input for DAC.  They are either USB, Optical or Coax inputs :wink:

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #168 of 1,604

Quote:
I heard that the DB2 has both balance and SE outputs and dual DAC.  But if they use the same WM8740 than it is not much of an upgrade for me.  It will be nice if someone can ask them if the DACs they use in the DB2 are the same.

By the way, Jam, there are no SE vs balance input for DAC.  They are either USB, Optical or Coax inputs :wink:

Too many wires, too many wires! lol 

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #169 of 1,604
Jam, how does the PB2 compare to the SR71B when driving the LCD2 and the HE-6.  Do you notice any difference with the additional power of the PB2?  Thanks.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #170 of 1,604
Hi everyone,
I am pretty interested in either the sr71b or the pb2 for use with a twag ballanced jh16. I know that some other ibasso amp, i think the d4, could be made to sound alike the mustang p51 I wonder if the seem goes for these two? I wonder about size differences and battery drain for both. Also, I know that with the 71b its still pretty good if run from a single ended source because that signal is then converted to balanced. How does this work with the ibasso amp? I would primarily want to use it with a balanced dac but it would be nice if it could sound close to optimal from an unbalanced source as well (of course with balanced headphones in both cases).
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #172 of 1,604
Thought this might be of interest:
http://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-pb-2-first-impression/

PB1 vs PB2:
Quote:
Compared to the PB-1, the PB-2 has an almost identical sound signature and tonal balance. Ignoring the power output differences, the PB-2 on the stock op-amp and buffer sounds slightly warmer with less aggressive treble and more low end body, while the PB-1 has a better clarity on the treble area. When you take out the buffer and only run it on the stock OPA604 op-amps, then the PB-2 sounds improves the clarity on the treble to match the PB1 while still being warmer and more neutral.

PB2 with balanced IEMs:
Quote:
With custom IEMs like the JH16Pro, the balanced drive gives an instant boost in soundstage size and bass quantity and you get a much bigger sound than you do when driving in single ended. However, I do think that while very impressive in short listening sessions, the balanced drive only increases the phase inaccuracy already inherent in the multi-driver IEM design. The balanced drive also didn’t improve things like articulation, detail extraction, imaging precision, or bass control out of the JH16, and again I will have to go with the Pico Slim or the RSA Shadow for my JH16.

Conclusion:
Quote:
Throughout my listening time with the PB-2, I almost never see the need to use the mid or high gain level, other than just testing how loud it can drive the HE-6 headphones. But for actual listening, I actually find the low gain to be enough even for the HD650 and the HE-6. With the HE-6, though the voltage swing is plenty, it didn’t quite have the authority to make a slamming bass impact. However, with the 300 ohm HD650, the experience is very enjoyable as the PB-2 is perhaps the most affordable amp I’ve tried with the HD650.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #173 of 1,604
In my experience with balance amps with my JH13, I like it a lot.  May be it is because  of the already restricted sound stage that is inherent in IEM design, the number one benefit for using balance amp is that of an increase in sound stage.  I also like the additional increase in dynamics, power and slam with my SR71B.  And another benefit of using balance amps like the PB2 and 71B is the ability of using balance DAC for balance input.  The ability to improve your upstream materials is always a welcome additional when we are dealing in hifi realm.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #174 of 1,604

Quote:
Hello again, A bit ot maybe but what are peoples experiences with running iems se vs balanced (and with or without an amp for that matter)? My be-all end-all rig will consist of the jh16 custom iems and I am thinking what to do with them cable and amp-wise. Greetings, Anouk,

I would try a PB2 with TWag. Get it balanced with the Hirose connector. You really can't lose. If you don't want to go TWag, Just have someone balance the stock cable and see how you like it.

From personal experience, I kn ow the soundstage and control increases with balancing. I think it is a very positive change.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #176 of 1,604

Quote:

ermm, there is AES which is balanced digital input (I use this along with i2s on my dac), USB is actually a balanced signal too :D consists of 2 twisted  pairs, one for signal and one for power, the signal pair is balanced/differential. I thought the DB2 was using the WM8741? which is actually a pin compatible upgrade to the WM8740; might be too power hungry

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #177 of 1,604
That is the situation with a portable dac. You have to be able to conserve power at the same time try and get the most out of the sound quality. For the DB2, the limitation will be trying to get the best of sound quality and not rob the batteries to too much current for a given time period. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #179 of 1,604

Quote:
Quote:

ermm, there is AES which is balanced digital input (I use this along with i2s on my dac), USB is actually a balanced signal too :D consists of 2 twisted  pairs, one for signal and one for power, the signal pair is balanced/differential. I thought the DB2 was using the WM8741? which is actually a pin compatible upgrade to the WM8740; might be too power hungry

Qusp, you are right, the AES is a balance connector but you don't usually see it in portable configuration, they are usually used in desktop setting.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #180 of 1,604

Quote:
Sorry to digress a bit..
Just ordered the DB1, should i wait for the DB2 or should i just stick with the DB1 to feed it into my SR-71B?

From all the feedback, the DB2 won't be out for another two months.  I just don't think you can last that long without trying a balance input into the 71b :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back