iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Jan 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #91 of 1,604
Does the stock PB2 have the same sound sig as PB1?

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #92 of 1,604
What!!! Are you telling me you don't have this amp and you are thinking of all this mod already ?
Actually I do not have it as well ...... 
beerchug.gif

Ibasso's stuff are so mod-able. Every time I look at one I could hear it coxing me "Mod me, mod me ....."
Open up an RSA and the feeling is totally opposite. You hear it says "Leave me alone!!!" 

And yes I do etch board at home. 

Quote:
 I dont have this amp mate, I just dropped in to have a look and saw you here so thought I would throw some suggestions around and egg you on as I kniow you are usually up for some extreme mods :wink:

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #93 of 1,604
Madwolf, I want to see you mod this thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 That would be awesome. There are pretty much no cans it can't drive already with the exception of maybe the K1000, but maybe you could improve the sound, power, or some other aspect and make it even better. You obviously know much more about this stuff than me. I just like to marvel and listen.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #94 of 1,604
I'm eyeing this amp like a hawk, so, I'd appreciate it if anyone here could please give their impression on this headamp (stock and the supplied alternative op-amps) with the Audez'e LCD-2. I used to own the PB1 and I felt that particular amp had a tendency to become a bit overly-sibilant, specially when used with silver cabling. Now, I'm wondering if it's the same case with the newer PB2 with different op-amps. Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #97 of 1,604

Out of the box fed by my Pico DAC it is very detailed, bordering on bright (both with stock and AD797 opamps) on my ATH-W1000x compared to my WA6 and Apogee Duet...  My LCD-2's are en route so I'll be able to comment on that pairing soon - I suspect it will work well since the PB2 oozes power and the LCD-2s are supposedly dark sounding..

Quote:
I'm eyeing this amp like a hawk, so, I'd appreciate it if anyone here could please give their impression on this headamp (stock and the supplied alternative op-amps) with the Audez'e LCD-2. I used to own the PB1 and I felt that particular amp had a tendency to become a bit overly-sibilant, specially when used with silver cabling. Now, I'm wondering if it's the same case with the newer PB2 with different op-amps. Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #98 of 1,604

Quote:
smile.gif

For all the talk about how the LCD2 has a recess treble, I am surprised to hear that the PB1 paired with the LCD2 will become a bit sibilant.  Are you sure?  

I am also extremely interested in the PB2 and want more impression with the PB2 and LCD2 from anyone.  I have not done any opamp rolling, so I would be specially appreciative for those especially Hiflight to comment on the different characteristic of each opamp that comes with the PB2. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #99 of 1,604

Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

For all the talk about how the LCD2 has a recess treble, I am surprised to hear that the PB1 paired with the LCD2 will become a bit sibilant.  Are you sure?  

I am also extremely interested in the PB2 and want more impression with the PB2 and LCD2 from anyone.  I have not done any opamp rolling, so I would be specially appreciative for those especially Hiflight to comment on the different characteristic of each opamp that comes with the PB2. 

I only notice the sibilance when I'm using Mundorf's 18awg silver-golds with my LCD-2 and only when paired with the PB1 Toucan. But with the stock Canare cables, there's no sibilance at all, in fact I find the LCD-2 with the Canare StarQuad a bit too dark to my liking. In light of the said, I always prefer using the Mundorfs over the stock cables, not only do I hear better bass control and treble extension, sonic nuances are more pronounced as well.

I'm looking forward to HiFlight's impressions on the different op-amps as well, I'm interested in the op-amps that'd not be too treble happy with the PB2.
smile.gif

P.S. To non-cable believers here, I'm only trying to express what my ears actually hear between cables, no need to start a cable debate.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #100 of 1,604

Quote:
I think the difference is worth it. The PB2 sounds better, and is more powerful. Besides, you may decide want to roll opamps later. Hiflight usually makes up a topkit that includes everything you need to make the amps sound better, so it is not hard. Also, if you decide to get another headphone or get a deal that you can't resist, especially on one that is hard to drive, the PB2 can probably drive it. 

Sounds better with which headphones? I can understand why moving from the PB1 to PB2 will make a big difference with very hard to drive headphones (like the AKG K1000) but any phone that is already sufficiently well powered by the PB1 won't necessarily benefit from the extra voltage swing on offer with the PB2.

Can you or HiFlight point me to some posts on before / after impressions of the topkit vs stock opamps? I'd be interested in whether it delivers a clearly improved sound signature rather than just something different.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #101 of 1,604

Ill be doing some A/B comparisons over the weekend.
This amp sounds fantastic right out of the box...and there is nothing like a balanced amp setup, in addition the hirose is a great connector too!

Nice. Please share :)

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #102 of 1,604

Quote:

Quote:
I think the difference is worth it. The PB2 sounds better, and is more powerful. Besides, you may decide want to roll opamps later. Hiflight usually makes up a topkit that includes everything you need to make the amps sound better, so it is not hard. Also, if you decide to get another headphone or get a deal that you can't resist, especially on one that is hard to drive, the PB2 can probably drive it. 

Sounds better with which headphones? I can understand why moving from the PB1 to PB2 will make a big difference with very hard to drive headphones (like the AKG K1000) but any phone that is already sufficiently well powered by the PB1 won't necessarily benefit from the extra voltage swing on offer with the PB2.

Can you or HiFlight point me to some posts on before / after impressions of the topkit vs stock opamps? I'd be interested in whether it delivers a clearly improved sound signature rather than just something different.

He has said bass is more present over the PB1. Wolfen86 said the PB1/DB1 could not match his RSA Predator for bass impact, and so I am assuming the PB2 improves on this. And like I said, you can roll opamps for a better or different sound.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #103 of 1,604
Does volume knob make hiss like pb1, thanks?

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #104 of 1,604

Quote:
Wolfen86 said the PB1/DB1 could not match his RSA Predator for bass impact, and so I am assuming the PB2 improves on this. And like I said, you can roll opamps for a better or different sound.

Wolfen86 might be my evil twin...but you may have gotten someone else's comment mixed up with me.  I personally would take the PB1/DB1 over the Predator any day. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #105 of 1,604

Quote:
Quote:
Wolfen86 said the PB1/DB1 could not match his RSA Predator for bass impact, and so I am assuming the PB2 improves on this. And like I said, you can roll opamps for a better or different sound.

Wolfen86 might be my evil twin...but you may have gotten someone else's comment mixed up with me.  I personally would take the PB1/DB1 over the Predator any day. 

Sorry about that. Didn't you say that some Ray Samuels' amp/DAC, I think it was the Predator, had more impact in the bass? You said the DB1/PB1 were better in every way except that aspect. Correct me if I am wrong, and thanks for chiming in. These are awesome products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back