iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by jamato8, Dec 13, 2010.
  1. plutonim
    Balanced input from DB2 (today forgot it at my work) and not balanced output to the headphones cause I need to solder balanced adapter to Z5.

snellemin likes this.
  2. snellemin
    I had replaced my stock capacitor with two before.

BTW, I just measured my voltage across the opamp and measured 11.10 ~11.08V. I'm running balanced mode though.

3. plutonim
    I have 32V input from two 4S LiPo connected serial, therefore I need 35V capacitor and I have 32V across opamp.
    If you connect AC power supply you can measure ~16V across opamp.

snellemin likes this.
  4. snellemin
    20171031_075351.jpg

These two amps sound mighty similar now. The RSA has the upper hand in power though.

plutonim likes this.
  5. snellemin
    I'm hoping the higher voltage will make the Ibasso on the same level as the RSA in both power and THD. At low volumes they are equal, but at high volumes and deep bass sessions the PB2 craps outs on battery power. The signal distorts, until I plug the power supply back in.

6. kingdixon
    Guys,

Any one find a nice replacement battery ??

The customer service is very bad and they take very long time to reply, if they did ..

The last thing i reached with them is that they sell the battery for 25$ + 5$ shipping to egypt ..

They didnt reply to my questions if swollen battery is normal, the device is out of warranty but it has only been used for less than 3 weeks and has been collecting dust since, what if i bought their battery and this happens again, i dont know if this is normal or not but it never occured to me with any other device,

Honestly, i would rather buy a replacement battery from somewhere else if available and not deal with them again..

I have seen people using other batteries here on the forum but i need verification it works on stock, as iam not into mods or changing capacitors ..

Thanks

7. snellemin
    It sounds like you fully charged your battery when you last used it. You should always deplete your lipo batteries halfway, when storing it for long term.

There are no plug and play batteries available. You will need to build you own pack, which was the cheapest route for me.

kingdixon likes this.
  8. kingdixon
    Well, i might have done that .. but i had no idea.

Ok, can you give a link for the batteries that i can use to build that pack, and is it safe to use it on stock components ?

9. snellemin
    I bought my Tattu batteries from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N74S3LO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I cut of the connectors and soldered them in series and used the old Ibasso battery cable harness for plug and play purposes and cell balancing.

kingdixon likes this.
  10. snellemin
    Pushing my little amp to the limit. I increased the input voltage to 17V and nearly maxed out the volume. Saw a peak of 7W near the end of the video. Using a regular laptop power supply.

plutonim likes this.
  11. zilch0md
    I've yet to find any buffer that sounds as good as dummy buffers with the Sparkos SS3601. With balanced output, there's plenty of power for most headphones. Adding buffers only colors the sound and/or "blurs" the resolution - especially in the low-energy signals down near the noise floor - which contribute so much to sound stage and imaging.

I'm very interested in what you hear with the MUSES 03. I've tried the MUSES 02 at the input-voltage gain stage and as buffers - I don't care for them, at all - at least not with my gear and my tastes. They are particularly "colorful." I might like the MUSES 01, but I've never heard them.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...-op-amps-page-16.528149/page-91#post-12667507

12. Mshenay Contributor
    Speaking of, can any one point me in the direction of some Dummy Buffers for sale? iBasso kept mine with my defective unit -.- and I'm not paying $25 to have them ship it back JUST so I can get my dummy buffers

13. snellemin
    Got to replace the cap with two 25V Panasonics. Reterminated the output with silver plated foil wires.

20171115_150629.jpg 20171115_150637.jpg 20171115_151329.jpg

zilch0md and Mshenay like this.
  14. plutonim
    muses03box.jpg muses03.jpg

My new setup - Amanero USB to I2S converter for DB2, Hidizs AP60 mark II as digital source and 4S LiPo inside PB2 (+/-8V opamp supply)
    PC040059.JPG

PC040060.JPG

MUSES03 sometimes more interesting than Sparkos. And now I'm waiting for Burson V5i...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    snellemin likes this.
  15. snellemin
    That is a nice looking battery pack inside the PB2. I'm liking my V5i's a lot. I'm running four double stacked buffers, with two Dual V5i's.