iBasso P4 Warbler experience ? my first post here !
Jun 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Angular Mo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello new friends,
This is my inaugural post, having only recently started my foray into serious headphone technology.

So, I started with Audio-Technical ATH-M50s headphones (yeah, just a starter)... I know, not balanced, electrostatic, nor ortho.

Next, I bought the HRT iStreamer to connect to my iPhone or iPad in the office, my typical headphone environment.

So, I recently ordered an iBasso P4 Warbler portable amp, because I did not need a DAC, and figured it has a lot of power, looks to be made well, not "too much" bass (I really wanted a Ray Samuels).

I will probably one day end up with a HiFiMan 602, or a portable DAC.

My questions;
1 - How long should I expect to wait for the iBasso to ship from Asia to the greater New York City metropolitan area ?  I received a paypal receipt, but have not received any form of acknowledgement from iBasso, though it has only been a couple of days.

2 - Is anyone using the Warbler with an HRT iStreamer ?

3 - One poster connected a balanced DAC, the Boomslang to a Warbler; how was that done ?  Does that make the signal balanced, and you need a balanced headphone ?

thank you all.

Angular Mo

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Hello new friends,
This is my inaugural post, having only recently started my foray into serious headphone technology.

So, I started with Audio-Technical ATH-M50s headphones (yeah, just a starter)... I know, not balanced, electrostatic, nor ortho.

Next, I bought the HRT iStreamer to connect to my iPhone or iPad in the office, my typical headphone environment.

So, I recently ordered an iBasso P4 Warbler portable amp, because I did not need a DAC, and figured it has a lot of power, looks to be made well, not "too much" bass (I really wanted a Ray Samuels).

My questions;
1 - How long should I expect to wait for the iBasso to ship from Asia to the greater New York City metropolitan area ?  I received a paypal receipt, but have not received any form of acknowledgement from iBasso, though it has only been a couple of days.

3 - One poster connected a balanced DAC, the Boomslang to a Warbler; how was that done ?  Does that make the signal balanced, and you need a balanced headphone ?

thank you all.

Angular Mo

Welcome Angular Mo,

I am new at this too.  However, you are getting a great amp.  It did not take long for me to receive my amp from Ibasso. No worries.  Get in contact with Hiflight he is very knowledgable on the P4.  I believe he sells a kit called Topkit.  Don't forget your unit will come with an Opamp kit.  I haven't even used mine as I'm happy with the way it sounds now.  I'm using Westone-UM2.  Your unit will come with a LOD jack, make sure you use that with your Iphone.  Or you can always buy a custom LOD cable.   I know one thing this one expensive hobby.  You better have deep pockets for it. LOL  Enjoy what you have you can always add on slowly.

Here is my unit that I travel with

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Mr. Rally555,

What is that thing beneath your Warbler ?  It looks like a sohpisticated digital recorder, not sure though.

Where may I learn about why or when to install an opamp ? 

Thank you.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 11
This is great, especially for the multitude on HF who view the P4 as a 'brick' - your source looks like the Death Star by comparison  :wink:

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Mr. Rally555,

What is that thing beneath your Warbler ?  It looks like a sohpisticated digital recorder, not sure though.

Where may I learn about why or when to install an opamp ? 

Thank you.

Angular Mo,

It is a Sound Devices 702 digital recorder.  It can record up to 24 bits at 192 K.  I use this as a backup machine when I do local recordings here in San Antonio, I use it for playback when I travel.  In regards to the opamp I'm still new at this too.  I will take this to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October and hopefully someone will show me how to do this right.  But contact Hiflight he is very knowledgable.  Maybe someone else will chime in about it.  I hope this helps. 

Jesse

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 11
If you can jump start a car at night, you can roll opamps. Just be aware that the fun starts when you try to get the screws out that hold the P4 together. Dont use the supplied tool - its useless.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 11
"jump a car" ? Uh oh.... Brings up my childhood in the late 60s when my electrical engineer dad would take me to Heathkit to build radios, remote listening devices, at least I don't need a soldering iron. Maybe that is why I am in software, and not the hardware business :)

BTW, three days after ordering, I received a ups tracking number ! WooHoo!

Looks like I will need to rip some CDs losslessly to give my gear the best source it deserves..... HiFiMan is next...I fear, then a portable dedicated DAC.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A DEDICATED PORTABLE DAC TO USE WITH THE WARBLER????

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
"jump a car" ? Uh oh.... Brings up my childhood in the late 60s when my electrical engineer dad would take me to Heathkit to build radios, remote listening devices, at least I don't need a soldering iron. Maybe that is why I am in software, and not the hardware business :)

BTW, three days after ordering, I received a ups tracking number ! WooHoo!

Looks like I will need to rip some CDs losslessly to give my gear the best source it deserves..... HiFiMan is next...I fear, then a portable dedicated DAC.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A DEDICATED PORTABLE DAC TO USE WITH THE WARBLER????

The iBasso DB2 is a good choice as it is the same size. (and color)   I have tried this combination with my P4 and it sounds great using the SE output.  

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi!!

You made a very good choice with the P4, it is a superb amplifier.  IMO, as good as many desktops.   
Hooking up the Boomslang to a P4 requires some jerry-rigging, as the Boomslang provides only balanced outputs.   No matter how you do it, you will not get balanced sound from it into your P4, nor do you need to balanced terminations on your phones. 

If you want a portable DAC that exactly matches your P4, the iBasso DB2 will do the trick.  Unlike the Boomslang, the DB2 does have a SE output that you can feed directly into your P4.  

As you mentioned the HM-602, its DAC line-out feeding the P4 sounds outstanding!   If you do plan to expand your system the P4 will scale very well with the 602.  The combination of a 1st-Class audio player and DAC makes the 602 a hard-to-beat  match-up with the P4.  

Shipping from iBasso to the US is amazingly fast.  

Ron

Quote:
Hello new friends,

My questions;

thank you all.

Angular Mo

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 11
Mr HiFlight,
Thank you for the advice.

Admittedly, I confused the ibasso Boomslang with the DB2 Boomslang2, which I can see from the photo has a second output (SE) in addition to the Balanced one.

So, I will wait for the Warbler amp to arrive and connect it to my HRT iStreamer amp and iPod Touch or iPad in the office, see how that goes for me.

Then will likely move ahead with the iBasso DB2 Boomslang2 DAC to connect to my source (iPod)....
unless, of course, I decide to dump the ATH-m50s and find a replacement..... they are too darn tight for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though Apple looks interesting with the iCloud as a source, I suspect there will be poor resolution files on the cloud, as they are doing a scan-and-match approach, rather than uploading one's origianl source.

So, a high quality DAP will complete my portable rig.....

Unless, of course, I decide to spend money on a new micro four-thirds camera from Olympus....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back