iBasso P3+ vs. P51 Mustang
Oct 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to make a decision about a portable amp for my iPhone.

I only have one set of high impedance 'phones (HD580) but the rest are pretty low impedance. I'm looking for an amp that will really suit my primary headphones (ATH-M50 and ATH-ES7) for my music taste (primarily electronic). A "bright" amp will really not suit as I have high frequency hearing loss so bringing out the treble will hurt my ears.

Obviously the price of the P3+ appeals to me as it leaves me room to pick up a good LOD, while the P51 is at the very top of my budget at $400 in the color I'd prefer.

A third option is the upcoming "Shadow" from Ray Samuels. Also in the $400 range.

So, those more knowledgeable than I...which of these phones plays better with these headphones and music type? Will I gain that much by springing for the P51 (costs more than any set of headphones I own by a fair margin).

Help an amp newbie!

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 18
ALO mini 3

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO mini 3

Sold out on the ALO site. And I've already built a Mini3 which is nice but I'd like something smaller/more attractive to actually carry around.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 18
I am also interested in this A/Bing.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recomend P-51 Mustang, because the sound is very powerful.
I love the sound by P-51 Mustang.

Is it twice as good? because it IS twice as expensive.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too.
Really trying to decide between p3+ & D10. But also am interested in the Mustang.

Well you can easily eliminate one/some of those. Need a DAC, D10, don't need one, the P3+ and Mustang will be a better amplifier, but won't have a DAC. Laptop - D10, iPod P3+ / mustang

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 18
I would vote on the Mustang, it sounds so great after burn-in which you can't imagine. It is definitely the top 3 in the market by the sound quality.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm still debating on this. I've got a preorder in for the Shadow right now, but I'm thinking the Mustang is so well established that I might just go for the Mustang. It's small enough, and I don't NEED it to be uber ultra portable since I will almost never use it on the go.

A looooot of money, though.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 18
You're trying to decide between some of the (IMO) nicest portables out there now. They're all great.

If you're worried about bang for the buck...the P3+ or D10 are a great option. If you want to spend extra for that little % extra, get the Mustang.

I have a SR-71 (reputed to sound just like a Mustang) and a D10. I go back and forth between them all of the time and enjoy both. Therefore, the gulf between the two is not that wide.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 18
I have a good DAC so don't really need the D10 unless its amp section is substantially better than that on the P3+.

The mustang is appealing since it's so heavily lauded but it is SO expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back