iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Jul 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,021 of 1,733
I have both. The FH5 has good, balanced tuning but is a more forward sounding earphone vs the IT04. Vocals are highlighted a bit more so on the FH5. Some might like this but this is due to a slight peak in the 2khz range. Otherwise sound balancing is actualy done well on them. Treble has a slight dryness to it and is tuned well so not to cause any stridancy or fatigue. But it lacks a bit of sparkle in being a bit conservative. Treble is not as extended defined or as smooth/ sweet or silky like the IT04 treble. Mids do sound a bit more forward on them but it was purposfully done to highlight vocals. Layering of the mids is done well but lacks the imaging and precision the IT04 provides. Again resolution is not on par with the IT04 here.

Bass ends both are done well but the IT04 bass end is tighter is better textured and reaches the lowest of lows easier than the FH5. FH5 sub bass is a bit softer, boomier sounding and not as textured or as tight. Mid bass is a bit less than the sub bass on the FH5. Both have good impact in the bass region but neither are overly bass emphasized, both take a more balanced approach to tuning.

FH5 does isolate better than the IT04 but not by a big margin. It is a heavier earphone due to having alloy shells. Ergonomics and fit is a wash as both are supremely comfortable for me.
Stageing of the IT04 wins here as the FH5 gives off mid wide sound. The IT04 does have a wider stage and it is the definition of each of the sound regions that really separates the IT04 from the FH5. Depth wise I feel the IT04 has better depth the FH5 being a fuller sounding earphone can seem a bit up front for some recordings. No such issue with the IT04. Again much more natural sounding as a result.

I do enjoy both earphones but the IT04 is a special earphone, the FH5 is good for the price, very competitive at their price point. However It is the refinements in the IT04 that makes them special combined with that wide sound stage add one of the best balancing I have heard on any earphone and you get what clearly separates the IT04 from an otherwise good for the price performing FH5.

So is the FH5 a poor man’s IT04?

Just kidding!

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,022 of 1,733
Different flavors actually. FH5 is different enough for them to be a keeper for me. Still getting to know their abilities.

Poormans IT04 would be Zero audios Tenors @ 1/10th the price.

Is the cheapmans equivalent.
Similar balancing and tonality.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,023 of 1,733
@twister6 , I apologize if you've answered this earlier but in your opinion is there a big difference between using the AMP7 and AMP8 with the IT04's? Can you describe what Pros/Cons each of the 2 AMPs have when you listen with the IT04's?

Thanks.

The difference is not that big simply because AMP7 and AMP8 have a rather similar tonality. What I'm hearing, and this is common not only for IT04 but other IEMs I tried when comparing AMP7 vs AMP8, AMP8 has a little wider soundstage and a little more bass impact. One noticeable difference is AMP8 having more power, so I need to go 12 steps down in volume when switching between AMP7 and AMP8. Also, AMP8, due to its balanced design nature, has a blacker background which makes the sound tighter and improves the dynamics. At the same time, more sensitive low impedance iems like Andro will hiss badly with AMP8, but pair up much better with AMP7. Another thing to keep in mind, due to AMP8 design, there wasn't room for Line Out, so AMP8 only has 4.4mm BAL headphone output, while AMP7 has 3.5mm single ended HO and LO.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #1,024 of 1,733
The dude with the dick re-zero avatar has joined the club. Hopefully in 4 days I’ll have these puppies!! This is the first time in my history of stalking threads that nobody has mentioned an objective weakness to an iem in three weeks of them being out. This is balls to the wall enough that I have ordered a pair of these ear nuts.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,025 of 1,733
The dude with the dick re-zero avatar has joined the club. Hopefully in 4 days I’ll have these puppies!! This is the first time in my history of stalking threads that nobody has mentioned an objective weakness to an iem in three weeks of them being out. This is balls to the wall enough that I have ordered a pair of these ear nuts.

who knows, you could be the first one who hates it :wink:

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,026 of 1,733
Twister and many others I trust if u love it I’m sure I’ll love it! Thanks for your efforts I for one of many appreciate it! H-if is great because of you guys!

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,027 of 1,733
Lol. I was waiting for that one guy to pop in here. You know. That one guy. Always on every thread.

Probably auditioned at a store and don't own the earphone of course.
Mornin', fellas! Hehey, that sounds like me!
GregariousAlarmedHanumanmonkey.gif

I'm gonna head over to Jaben tomorrow. Read somewhere that they have a demo unit. The 04s aren't ubiquitous just as yet, locally.

Can't exactly mention "I hope they're THE one" since I'm trying to downplay my expectations, so I'll just push that thought to the back of my head in the interim.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,033 of 1,733
After looking up closer, mine came with slight bent 2.5mm connector..
Soundwise it performs just OK, but not too happy given the price.
Please contact me at paul@ibasso.com so we can get this fixed up for you.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,035 of 1,733
That's weird, you should shoot Paul an email. Watch your sleeve connection, if you have weird issues with half a channel cutting in and out that's the cause....

I'm on day 2 with these and I'm trying to think of a product comparison for them.

Basically, what if a (Hyundai) Genesis g80 was the exact same price as a toyota Camry?

You'd be stupid not to buy it over the Camry, and you'd have a hard time justifying an upgrade over it unless you have way too much money.

That being said, there are still more exotic cars out there, and the Genesis is a great performer, but might be a little boring in comparison to the Ferraris/Lambos that exist, but it's almost always more practical.

At the price point, all my complaints are kind of silly in the scheme of things.

Yes, there are flaws. I find it a little boring, not in the same way that my oppo pm-3 were, but still, they're not as lively or dynamic as some pairs (perhaps burn in could be a factor here, but as it should really only affect the DD, I'm doubtful). The design/build quality also is well behind the likes of campfire.

If I wasn't obsessive compulsive, this could be end game for me and i'd be very happy with them. I'd have a very hard time justifying anything beyond these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back