iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #3,046 of 3,079
The left side keeps cutting out and it appears to be due to the gorgeous IT01 cable as cheaper cables do the job. Has anyone been able to fix a broken mmcx cable? I can imagine maybe using tweezers to reshape it?
Unfortunately it may be solderings inside plastic molding at MMCX ends or jack side. Fixing loose MMCX is actually quite easy, did it with my IT01 and it`s fine now long time. Just "bend" gently cable end connectors so-to-say "wider".

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #3,047 of 3,079
The left side keeps cutting out and it appears to be due to the gorgeous IT01 cable as cheaper cables do the job. Has anyone been able to fix a broken mmcx cable? I can imagine maybe using tweezers to reshape it?
Some manufacturer are moving away from MMCX due to this reason.

Contact ibasso first and see if they will help out. Otherwise, just use the cheapo cable. The gorgeous IT01 cable is just aesthetically nice.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #3,048 of 3,079
If anyone has 1 or more defective IT01 cables, I’d be interested in buying them (I’m in the US). I want to rebuild it into a balanced IEM cable. It’s OK if it’s got a bad jack etc, since I’d be cutting off the ends and rebuilding the cable.

PM me if interested.

P.S. @Paul - iBasso, if you have a ‘junk box’ of the various defective IT01 cables you guys swapped out under warranty, shoot me a PM and we can talk :)

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #3,049 of 3,079
A couple of tips questions...

I don't understand why the it01 ships with different bore widths on them. I figured that the wide tips would require a wide bore - are there sonic differences with the different bores?

Also, I bought some Comply t500 based on doing size research, but they don't seem wide enough to fit on the tips. I could force it on there, but it didn't look "flush" and I was concerned about breaking either the tip or the nozzle of the IEM. Has anyone tried the Comply 600, or would they be too wide?

Related, I'm looking to explore some silicon hybrid tips (Symbio, Acoustune, etc) but wanted to confirm the diameter of the nozzle on the IT01

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #3,050 of 3,079
I figured that the wide tips would require a wide bore - are there sonic differences with the different bores?

There’s absolutely a difference with different bores. On all earphones, not just the IT01.

Trying different tips (called tip rolling) is one of the primary non-EQ ways the sound tuning of an earphone can be tweaked.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,051 of 3,079
There’s absolutely a difference with different bores. On all earphones, not just the IT01.

Trying different tips (called tip rolling) is one of the primary non-EQ ways the sound tuning of an earphone can be tweaked.

I always, wrongly, assumed that "tip rolling" referred to squishing a memory foam tip between your fingers before inserting. I did some some quick tip-swapping, and definitely noticed a difference between the different silicone tips that came with the IT01. I forgot that I had some Comply 600s around the house, as well, and preferred the sound with those over the silicones. However, is there a general rule of thumb for how the different bores affect sound? For instance, does a narrower bore typically make a "boomier" sound because it restricts the more than a wide boar? Or is it all a YMMV/personal preference?

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #3,052 of 3,079
However, is there a general rule of thumb for how the different bores affect sound? For instance, does a narrower bore typically make a "boomier" sound because it restricts the more than a wide boar? Or is it all a YMMV/personal preference?

Well, there are some very generic rules of thumbs, but it also depends on the nozzle of the earphone itself.

Most people aren’t aware of just how important of a role the nozzle plays in tuning. The ID, length, shape, internal volume, type of filter, any front vents, etc all play a big role.

The reason I bring this up is because the tip can basically be thought of as an extension of the nozzle. That’s why the sound can be changed (sometimes considerably) depending on the tip used. A nozzle with a 2mm ID bore, that opens up to a tip that has an ID of 5mm will make a definite sonic difference. Likewise, putting a 2mm ID narrow bore tip on an earphone with a huge 5.5 or 6.0mm nozzle will also make a noticeable difference.

Back to the generic rules of thumbs - generally if you use a tip with a long bore, it will increase low end. A really short/shallow tip will often decrease low end. And wide bore tips seem to open up the soundstage a bit and can often smooth out peaks (at least for me).

Of course different tips affects the ability to get good or bad seal, which will affect the low frequencies especially. And the insertion depth of an ear tip makes a big impact too.

Also, individual ear canals come into play too. Some of us have longer ear canals than others. Some have different ear canal volumes and shapes. And again, the ear canal is an extension of the ear tip, which is an extension of the earphone nozzle. Think of it like 1 giant long tube, extension from the driver itself all the way to the eardrum. When you think of it like that, you realize how each little thing will impact the sound.

This individuality is why I believe the bottom line is that general rules of thumbs aren’t as important as just trying different tips. What works for me - what allows the best fit, the best sound for me, the best seal, etc - is highly dependent on the shape and size of my ear canals. And the only way to do that is to tip roll. But what I settle on can very often be different than what you settle on.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #3,053 of 3,079
I'm on my third pair of IT01, they are great, but so much driver flex. At times it almost seems like they are being damaged. First two pair were warrantied due to noticeable changes to sound quality in the side with most driver flex.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #3,054 of 3,079
I'm on my third pair of IT01, they are great, but so much driver flex. At times it almost seems like they are being damaged. First two pair were warrantied due to noticeable changes to sound quality in the side with most driver flex.

Easy/free things that reduce driver flex:

1. Holding your mouth open while you insert your earphones.
2. Using 1 hand to pull outwards on your anti-tragus,while you use the other hand to insert the earphone (while also doing #1).
3. Using foam tips
4. A small piece of string under the eartip/nozzle to create a very small vent for pressure to escape.
5. Using a sewing needle to make a very small hole in the inside of the eartip, to create a small vent for pressure to escape.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3,055 of 3,079
Easy/free things that reduce driver flex:

1. Holding your mouth open while you insert your earphones.
2. Using 1 hand to pull outwards on your anti-tragus,while you use the other hand to insert the earphone (while also doing #1).
3. Using foam tips
4. A small piece of string under the eartip/nozzle to create a very small vent for pressure to escape.
5. Using a sewing needle to make a very small hole in the inside of the eartip, to create a small vent for pressure to escape.

I recently went through a lot of this while trying to sort out my very-driver-flex-prone EE Bravado. I ended up having to settle on the foam tips solution. #5 soooort of worked, but also threw off the sound more than the foam tips did.

What I should try next is taking those vented tips and doing the DIY symbio mod and putting foam in them. (But, I'm lazy.)

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #3,056 of 3,079
Call me crazy but...

After my IT01 left side driver flex evolving worse (not caused by modifications) and cable sleeving material gone hard and springy....

...I opened them up again and took out drivers by "brute force" as I didn`t care for those anymore. RIP IT01 and thanks for filling my ears with fun sound.

What I discovered was - right under driver shell (helmholz resonator) there`s little fabric venting filter as expected... but... driver shell is installed in a way that it
literally presses against that filter and that caused bad air-flow (and thus driver flex).
IMHO this is pure design fault as many IT01 owners have driver flex issue.

WHY o why I removed drivers and didn`t re-sell them or something?

Well, I need nice shells for my VE BIE drivers and they fit like a glove and I like my modification looks :)

Will post pics later tonight if I can.

Peace and don`t hate me for destroying IT01 !

Feb 14, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #3,057 of 3,079
Call me crazy but...

After my IT01 left side driver flex evolving worse (not caused by modifications) and cable sleeving material gone hard and springy....

...I opened them up again and took out drivers by "brute force" as I didn`t care for those anymore. RIP IT01 and thanks for filling my ears with fun sound.

What I discovered was - right under driver shell (helmholz resonator) there`s little fabric venting filter as expected... but... driver shell is installed in a way that it
literally presses against that filter and that caused bad air-flow (and thus driver flex).

Well, I need nice shells for my VE BIE drivers and they fit like a glove and I like my modification looks :)

Was it that wooden pair you made yourself a couple years back?

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,058 of 3,079
Call me crazy but...

Do you have a photo of this filter, or the disassembled shell?

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #3,059 of 3,079
Was it that wooden pair you made yourself a couple years back?
Yes, that one.
Do you have a photo of this filter, or the disassembled shell?
I can take a pic but can`t tell atm if I`m able to tonight or tomorrow, too busy with work lately ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back