iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
Jun 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #496 of 668
Thanks for the info on the batteries. I have a bunch to take with me as it looks like we are moving to Micronesia for a while. 

I am finding the OPA2111AM to be very different. As I have mentioned, fast and very transparent. It is like popping a very high quality circuit into the fi.Q, which it is. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #497 of 668

Quote:
yes Ryuzoh, even though the average OEM owner is a tweaker at heart and most (and I stress most ^^) have got a clue
tongue.gif
you might consider either including a rudimentary manual or putting together a PDF and emailing it out. this thread will become a resource for owners as well, but at the moment we are winging it.

BTW just cracked open the charger and added to my PCX order to upgrade the rubicon caps to Nichicon 4700uf/35v KZ and 470 or 330uf (got both), some tantalum bypass caps to deal with ripple and I also will replace the hookup with with 16AWG neotech UPOCC and put an upgraded AC plug on there too
biggrin.gif
dont know what type of diode is being used for a reference (i;'m assuming zener) but will play with other options here once I know more about it. I have other supplies that would probably do better anyway for home use, but I think having a portable upgraded PSU to bring on the road for use with all sorts of things will be way cool

I would like to know a little more about the switches and headers inside as well when you have time mate

qusp, now that you switched caps, how does it sound? Has this change improved  anything significantly? What were the stock caps that you changed?  Appreciate your time. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #498 of 668
Hi guys!

Sooy if my english isn´t the best, hope I make myself understood anyway!
Also sorry if I post in wrong part, maybe there´s a better place for me to post a question even tho it will take forever for me to search in english, Hope you be patience with guys and I really hope that I´m not disturbing anyone by doing this? 

I searched for ibasso and came here, I have been looking for good headphone amplifier here in Sweden but can´t find any.
I have tried a small one (Nuforce Icon Mobile) with DT770 (don´t know the ohm? but either 80 or 250?) and it was way to weak for that.

So I wonder if one of those ibasso is good enough for driving a Beyerdynamic headphone (770 or 770 pro at 80 - 250 ohm)?
If so, what modell is the best for DT770?

I don´t know much at all about audio and what´t good or not, but these ibasso´s look very good compared to Icon Mobile I think?
Will connect to DT770 (don´t know version yet) that I listened to the other day and enjoyed + a Sansa Clip+.that I alredy have at home.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #499 of 668
Fark, your English is fine buddy....

I have the Fi-Quest and this is able to drive my DT880 600ohms easily. I also Have a couple of ibasso P3 + amps and in High gain they drive my HD600's (300 ohm) again to very satisfying volumes so you should be fine.

Nigel

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #500 of 668
Thanks SpudHarris, that is good to know!  Then some 80 or even 250 ohm DT770 should be just fine

I use some translations, dictionarys etc.... quite often to accuire some of the words in english as well as spelling,  I´v got to use that until I´m moore used to write and read in english I suppose? I find grammar to be the most difficult tho.

Anyway thanks for responding! I´m a total noob when it comes to audio, but I did listen to MusicFidelity X-can V8P with a pair of Beyerdynamic 770 the other day and realized I havn´t heard decent audio before after all, hahaha!  My HD555 is ok but leak to much for portable use and the Icon Mobile pherhaps isn´t powerful enough to use as amplifier with many of the decent headphones I think?

Do you know where these iBasso amps is built and sold from, what country I meen?

I´m in Sweden and if I should buy anything that is worth noore than approximately 60 USD/40 GBP including shipping fee I have to pay a lot of tax/customs fee etc if it´s from outside EU, so I have to take that into consideration when bying stuff.  Also I have ordered some products from China in the past but wouldn´t dear to try again I think?
confused_face_2.gif
  Paid for but didn´t arrive, at all! I have bought from UK before tho = no customs + great service.

Sorry for all off topic´s

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #502 of 668

Quote:
qusp, now that you switched caps, how does it sound? Has this change improved  anything significantly? What were the stock caps that you changed?  Appreciate your time. Thanks.

you do know i'm talking about the power supply adapter dont you?, that post is like 6 months old, yes it did improve the bass slam when using the adapter; but significantly?? I cant remember mate, it was too long ago to describe and I hardly used the adapter at all for listening before i changed ALL of the caps. I have also changed ALL of the caps in the amp, plus adding bypass caps that werent there at all, well everything in the power supply and amp sections of the amp anyway. it would be easier for me to tell you I havent changed. I also changed ALL of the resistors in the signal path and some that werent :wink:

but I see you havent got the FiQ anyway, so i'm a bit confused at your question

@ Fark haha sorry is your english good enough to know why that is funny?? immature I know. 

your english is perfectly fine mate and your grammar is better than many native english speakers. Its certainly better grammar than mine when i'm prattling on on here; others will attest to that.

yeah i'm with spud, the FiQ has quite easily enough grunt to do a fine job of driving even the hardest headphones; nothing to worry about there either. I use mine for my HD600 regularly and it sounds fantastic, even compared to many home amps it sounds fantastic. I have also used DT880, K701, D2000 (woody), T1 and probably some others I cant remember, while they were staying at my place awaiting surgery and in recovery :wink:

indeed ibasso is in china, but these amps are sold from Japan I think these days. either way you have nothing to worry about (except tax) ibasso is very good to deal with. not only do they ship, they ship quickly!! I have dealt with very few companies that ship as quickly and reasonably as ibasso

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #503 of 668
Thanks mesaone.

Ok, is there anyone that have had problems getting their delivery (now or in the past) from iBasso or do they have nothing but good recommendations? 

I thinking about my horribly exensive buisseness with china companies in the past of course, but trust me I really do want to find a good china based company that I can trust to get my deliverys, I´m sure there are plenty out there and their markert are growing so I´m gonna have to eventually I think. 

So if your (Head fi users) experiences is that iBasso is a solid trustworthy company that will give me a big confidence boost, then I might end up order a iBasso amp in the end?  There isn´t many people here in Sweden that I know of who can point me in the right direction regarding the right company to order from?

Again, exuse my english, grammar etc...

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #505 of 668
Thanks again SpudHarris!

So much easier to make that desition when I see you write that, don´t have to worry then.

I took a peak at their site and a lot of t´stuff seems to be out of stock now, so they´r probably popular?

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #507 of 668
Sorry it took so long to resont Spud, didn´t meen to be rued by not responding for days!

I actually don´t know what amp yet, I have a Icon Mobile with Sansa Clip+ right now. Besides that I reacently bought Beyerdynamic DT770 pro/80 cause my HD555 leaks to much outside, got a killer deal on them and have seen others mod theirs here so I thought I give it a go as well.

The thing is that I feal my entire gear is not up to standard, I want to enjoy my music moore.  I do kind of like the Beyers cause that is my kind of sound I think, but of course I feel like so many others about the thundering loose bass + a little weak mids.etc.. 
So my plan was like this:

1: I have spoke to Vinnie about bying a refurbished ipod video 5.5g and have him mod it for me. (that´s gonna hurt my budget wallet)

2: Mod my Beyers with cable, dampening etc...  I have found guide for modding 770 pro/80, but still have no ide where to find cable that is good and still doesn´t cost me $300?

3: Swap out the Icon Mobile for something with a little moore of everything in it!

When I use dac in Icon via usb I can hear a clear improvment I thougt pherhaps imod id the way to go for me? Moore portable than nettop so do speak.  Do you think that can be a clear improvment for me compered to Clip+ and Icon Mobile?

Is the D4 moore powerful than D10, or is it that other way around or equal?   I have looked at some iBassos + other amps now but don´t really have a clue where to start?  There are so many amps that I know nothing about, but amp comes after imod so I do have some time to sort it out. I can´t afford to upgrade it all at once.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #508 of 668
I want to update this thread with information about the prototypes. Poor Ryuzoh has lent them to me for a long time (bless his heart) and I'm only finally able to post this week.

I've been doing really exhaustive testing. The prototype is very much a hybrid design of the FiQuest (similar power circuitry) and more typical iBasso models. As far as I can tell, you can only change the op-amp and this is a good thing for now.

The included op-amps are 100% stable at all volumes, at all gain settings, and with every headphone. They come laid out on BrownDog adapters. There is very little noise, excellent channel balance, and good sound.

What I do notice is that some op-amp configurations in the prototype are more stable than on the FiQuest, and some are less. The OPA2111KP for instance, is brilliant on the prototype, but unfit for iems at loud (and I mean ear busting volumes, here) volumes on the FiQuest. Conversely, the original does better with other chipsets. 

I think MST are the current company to beat in terms of customisable portable amps. But if you are really, really into customisation, the original is LEGO while the new one is Playmobil.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #509 of 668
yep, i'll keep mine thanks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back