iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
May 27, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #466 of 668
Ryuzoh's company is Musashi Sound Technology but I googled that and found only Samurai references :)........

Tony, I have sent Ryuzoh and e-mail to find out for you. When/If he gets back to me I'll hook you up. If you ever get down to the Midlands, shout me and you can have a listen.

May 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #467 of 668
hehe, yeah well I mainly mention it, not because you are all thumbs :wink:, but because although Blackgate NX are specified as non-polar, they still can induce some ill effects if soldered in the wrong pole. regardless of it being DIY or not it may still be the issue :wink:

I only ever use 3 channel, I find 4 channel really isnt as stable as it should be. pity it doesnt save power not using it though as the circuit is always drawing power regardless of whether its being used or not. probably works well with some, headphones, chips and some combinations of components; but in my build I have never really fell in love with it. I find the sound to be much more solid in 3 channel and the soundstage, although maybe not quite as wide, to be more coherent and tangible 

May 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #468 of 668
I think MST Audio will be up next month - in website form. These damn websites are so hard to get up (TWSS?)
Again, next week, I'll give a bit of love to the new FiQuest prototypes - which are long overdue. MST is probably going to kill me next time he sees me!

May 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #469 of 668
lol, yeah they are hey.... mate my life never has enough moments in the day. 

May 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #471 of 668
........ I thought you were already hinting at that above lol, thus my sheepish answer. dunno mate, I can never find the time and I doint know who to get to finish it off. not connected in that way anymore. would be awesome to find a headfier to barter with :wink: I have it all packed on DVD and its mostly done was thinking I might use wordpress or a blog to start off so its easy for me to do myself with limited time

May 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #472 of 668
I am gonna find time to put a DIY iMod cable together fairly soon as I have some nice wire lay around not doing much. As long as the NX are connected to both signals the same way there shouldn't be any issues should there?

You are spot on about 3 and 4 channel mode Jeremy there is a definate wider SS with 4 channel mode and a little more air but with the DT880/600's that needs toning down slightly as the synergy is not good. 3 channel mode with HiC sounds spectacular but if I have the OPA637's in L/R I can't use the JH13's at all :frowning2: 

May 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #473 of 668
I can use everything in 3 channel wit the 637. It is in 4 channel that the problem arrises and was noted by Ryuzoh as not the best option. He emailed me some time back that 3 channel was really the best way to go, in his opinion. I have used the 4 channel and really liked it but I did notice some DC offset and to me, it isn't worth the risk as I did not measure it so I don't know how much there was but I don't want to risk my monitors finding out. 

May 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #474 of 668
John are you using the HiC switch?

Just for clarity I have OPA637AM's (TO-99) with the 2 stacked BUF634AU's on underside and BUF634P's above. Should I just have single BUF634P's if running in HiC mode?

May 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #475 of 668
I don't think it matters on the number when running HiC but if portable of course it will not last as long with more buffers going. I have used the HiC on and off. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #476 of 668
Well like I said, I can't use the 637's with the JH13's in HiC mode they just hiss and crackle and even without HiC they still get some scratching from the pot. It's no biggie though coz I still rate the OPA2111AM up there with the best I've heard in this amp...

May 27, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #477 of 668
Ok, I have the 2111AM here. The little piece sticking out is for the number one pin I presume. I need to pop it in. 

Ok, the tit sticking out goes to pin 8. Very nice sounding op amp. Great clarity, imaging and bass. Very different sounding than the 637. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #478 of 668
Yes it is a superb opamp I also have one in one of my P3+.

I have the ADA4627-1's in the other :) The ADA4627-1 is probably close to the OPA637 in terms of detail and resolution and I like it a lot but the 637 just has a musicallity that the 4627 doesn't.......

May 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #479 of 668
Well I have let it burn in over night and can hear a difference from yesterday in comparison to a couple of other amps that I compared it to as reference and not relying on memory or speculation. The sound is very different from that of the 637. A little brighter and very transparent. Very fast and dynamic but there is, right now, a bit of an edge. Will wait and see but it is one of the better op amps. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #480 of 668
Glad you like it John :)

They retail here for £40 each but I had a source that didn't quite realise the value so I got a few as stock for a ridiculous price. They are definately one of my favourite opamps, if not ''the'' favourite. May have to get 2 x OPA111's next......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back