Ibasso dx90 - upgrade opinions
Jan 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dubstepnext

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I've recently purchased the ibasso dx90. The sound is incredible (especially as it's my first high quality DAP).
I do, however, have a few matters I'd like other forum users to give me their opinions.
1. Although I've read no external amp would be required I find that in some headphones (akg and sony mdr-z7) the dx90 lacks output power- what amp would you recommend (one that would not impare the quality)
2. Regarding the battery - did anyone try to change to larger samsong batteries? Do they fit?
3. I saw a few threads addressing the "ultimate" Iem or headphones for the dx90- do you think there is such a thing- a better combination of hardware?
Lastly (and not completely in the same area):
2. I love the sound with my Shure 535, would you guys recommend buying an upgraded cable?

Thanks people- would really appricate some feedback

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Did you update it to Lurker 2.1.5 L2? That will make a difference in sound

1. For harder to drive headphones you can get an amp. The cheapest one that is fairly good is the cayin c5, which you read a lot of reviews on.
2. In the dx90 thread, they did say the samsung batteries did make a difference. You need to find a good galaxy s3 battery.
3. Always having better headphones makes the most difference. A dx90 with apple buds will sound worse than a smartphone with a jh13 for example.
4. I think there are better upgrades you can get(better iems/headphones, better amp, better dac, then maybe cables) I wouldn't bother with cables at this point.

I had a dx90 but i sold it to buy an ifi Micro DSD, and the sound is not even close. The ifi Micro also comes with a great dac, amp, and sounds much better. I do however miss the dx90 and portability.

Hope that helps

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Dithyrambes!!!!

I did upgrade to the 2.1.5.
Now you got me interested in the ifi micro dad lol..

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Hey,
Got the Topping nx1 which well improves full headphones sound quality.
My question now is there a portable amp+DAC that will work with the dx90?
I read many reviews and from what I understand DAC work with android devices, ios (with a connector) and PCs.
Does anyone know of a portable amp that will also work as a dac for dx90?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back