iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #6,527 of 6,795
It is a sort of screen protector, but it is written. I changed it.

mwuuxj.jpg

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #6,528 of 6,795
I haven't listened to Lurker's FW but know he does a good job. The current stock FW is what I use and it is the best that the DX80 has ever sounded for me.

Agreed. I've used Lurker's prior firmwares and they were great, but currently I'm on stock 1.6.0 and it sounds fantastic. Definitely the best among all the prior stock firmware.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #6,529 of 6,795
Thank's again for all the answers.
That's funny because on a french dedicated forum (tellementnomade.org), we discussed the same subject and not a single DX80 owner would agree on which FW to install . For exemple one of them would argue that 1.5.2 was the one to keep, 1.6.0 being too "cold" for him ...
Conclusion : hard to collect info on a heavily subjective topic ...

Jul 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6,530 of 6,795
Agreed. I've used Lurker's prior firmwares and they were great, but currently I'm on stock 1.6.0 and it sounds fantastic. Definitely the best among all the prior stock firmware.

Have you compared IBASSO's 1.6.0 with LURKER's 1.6.0 ?

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #6,533 of 6,795
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #6,534 of 6,795
Could you develop "fantastic" ? What kind of improvement ? What music did you test with ? what cans ?

To my ears, the 1.52 was also very good but 1.60 holds an edge on clarity and sounds more dynamic than the prior firmware. It is also nicely balanced, with the (solid) bottom end, full midrange and slightly recessed upper frequencies each in their own space.

Go ahead and try the firmwares you are considering and decide for yourself. It is very easy to switch firmware on the DX80 so there's no reason not too experiment. Good luck!

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #6,536 of 6,795
More on the battery. It was the second time I thought I would have to replace it, and again I am not sure, I think I found the pattern. If you recharge DX80 it reaches 100% in less than 2 hours but when I started using it at this moment it dropped to 49% in less than an hour.
Then I left it for a night charged with Anker power bank instead of a charger. Next day after playing continuously for 5 hours the battery was at 38% and went down to 13% after 8 hours. That's plenty for me. I think that the charging time and the source are important. Or the battery indicator is faulty. So it looks like I will keep using it. Charging overnight is not a big deal, and 8+ hour is more than enough. But.. if used in the DAC mode with the phone, the battery seems to be draining much faster.
I still like this player a lot, the sound is just great.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #6,537 of 6,795
More on the battery. It was the second time I thought I would have to replace it, and again I am not sure, I think I found the pattern. If you recharge DX80 it reaches 100% in less than 2 hours but when I started using it at this moment it dropped to 49% in less than an hour.
Then I left it for a night charged with Anker power bank instead of a charger. Next day after playing continuously for 5 hours the battery was at 38% and went down to 13% after 8 hours. That's plenty for me. I think that the charging time and the are important. Or the battery indicator is faulty. So it looks like I will keep using it. Charging overnight is not a big deal, and *+ hour is more than enough. But.. if used in the DAC mode with the phone, the battery seems to be draining much faster.
I still like this player a lot, the sound is just great.

Thanks for this post. Facing exactly the same problem when using my Samsung charger. Will try leaving it overnight to see how it improves.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #6,538 of 6,795
Thanks for this post. Facing exactly the same problem when using my Samsung charger. Will try leaving it overnight to see how it improves.

I have slightly better battery life when leaving on charge overnight but it will increase just by 1hr max, right now I can enjoy my DX80 for an average of 4hrs max which is very far from the promised 8hrs +

My bro bought the DX200 and voilà ! The same battery issue, maybe less important than on the DX80, but it's a matter of months. I enjoyed my DX80 for the first 2 months before starting to face fast battery drops. I tried all firmware releases but nothing can solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back