iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #6,379 of 6,795
I have just received a replacement unit from my local iBasso distributor, almost exactly 2 months to the day I returned it because the unit was stuck in optical out mode. As a quick reminder, my unit became faulty approximately 2 weeks after I received it.

I am pleased with the sound quality; it sounds great paired with both my Dita Answer and Noble Kaiser Encore. At this point it's perhaps just a little short of my AK240 in terms of sound quality and oomph - well worth the price I paid for it, if the only factor in consideration were SQ.

What I do find disappointing (and also which does appear to be relatively easy to fix...) I am not able to create more than 8 playlists. As I almost exclusively use playlists to listen to my music, this is a huge downer. This is an issue that was totally unexpected and I would not purchase this player if I knew this problem in advance.

In conclusion I would consider myself relatively pleased with my purchase. However, given the vast selection of devices available at similar price points nowadays, and given the evidently shoddy build quality (and reluctance of the distributor to offer a timely replacement - waiting a total of 5 months from the date of my initial order to enjoy a purchase is way too much), I would regrettably have to say this will be my last iBasso product.

May 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #6,380 of 6,795
Quick question, dx80 or dx90? I found a dx80 on ebay for $150 cheaper than I can find a dx90, is there any reason not to get the dx80? I was only considering the dx90 for the sabre32 dac's in it, but I've read mixed reviews on whether or not the dx80 sounds better than the dx90. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

May 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #6,382 of 6,795
They are both great units. While I slightly prefer the DX80, IMO if you can get one cheaper than the other that would be a primary factor.

Thank you very much. This will be my first hi res dap and I'm just trying to find a good one to pair with my new ath-im70's that I will get tomorrow. I think I might go for the $200 dx80 I found on ebay, or maybe an Aune M2.

May 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #6,383 of 6,795
The Dx80 is a fine unit, i purchased mine used also, pretty fast ui, i have no problems with it, no on board memory, but the 2 micro sd slots make up for it, i have a couple 200gb cards in mine formatted eXfat with zero problems.

I think you'll enjoy it if you go for it.

May 8, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #6,384 of 6,795
The Dx80 is a fine unit, i purchased mine used also, pretty fast ui, i have no problems with it, no on board memory, but the 2 micro sd slots make up for it, i have a couple 200gb cards in mine formatted eXfat with zero problems.

I think you'll enjoy it if you go for it.

I went for it, couldn't resist the deal. Good to hear you haven't had any problems

May 8, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #6,385 of 6,795
In conclusion I would consider myself relatively pleased with my purchase. However, given the vast selection of devices available at similar price points nowadays, and given the evidently shoddy build quality (and reluctance of the distributor to offer a timely replacement - waiting a total of 5 months from the date of my initial order to enjoy a purchase is way too much), I would regrettably have to say this will be my last iBasso product.

There is nothing that will not fail. We do not use shoddy construction or materials. We regret any inconvenience and disappointment when something does not work as intended that we manufacture. Parts do fail though. Also a replacement can take longer than it should. If this occurs I am always here to try and expedite the process. We want people to enjoy music and to do this as stress free as possible.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,387 of 6,795
DX80 is fine model, but with faulty firmware. And iBasso team does nothing to resolve errors. Just like most chinese companies - they support only the latest models.

Are you referring to the latest firmware (1.5.8), and what exactly is at fault?

May 9, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #6,389 of 6,795
Are you referring to the latest firmware (1.5.8), and what exactly is at fault?

Sorting bug. In version 1.5.8 not fixed, but in version 1.4.2 not existing. I returned to 1.4.2, Lurkers edition.

As Ziggomatic said year ago: When starting a song from an album in the "Album" tab, the playlist is properly populated in album order, as before. Fine. But, after powering down, when you power back up, the playlist repopulates in alpha order. Not fine. This means, of course, that if you are listening to an album in this manner, and you need to take a break from listening, your songs will be all out of order when you come back and power back up.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,390 of 6,795
In my post, https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/i...8-link-1st-page.786443/page-425#post-13469799 I detailed one issue. In the next few posts there is some discussion about ibasso's fw update history.

Sorting bug. In version 1.5.8 not fixed, but in version 1.4.2 not existing. I returned to 1.4.2, Lurkers edition.

As Ziggomatic said year ago: When starting a song from an album in the "Album" tab, the playlist is properly populated in album order, as before. Fine. But, after powering down, when you power back up, the playlist repopulates in alpha order. Not fine. This means, of course, that if you are listening to an album in this manner, and you need to take a break from listening, your songs will be all out of order when you come back and power back up.

Thanks guys, I have actually read through all the dx80 threads here. I don't know how much of a problem that will be for me, but it's good to hear that ibasso claims they will release a new firmware this month. I guess we will have to wait and see. I was debating on whether or not to run lurkers fw, this issue might force me to use it if it's a big problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back