iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #6,137 of 6,795
Hi all,

I just received my DX80 and am loving it! For the price it sure packs a punch.

However I'm finding that I'm only able to make a maximum of 9 playlists. If I import a 10th playlist it simply doesn't show up on the lists of playlists (now that's a mouthful). Anybody else facing this issue or is this something I'm going to have to live with?

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #6,138 of 6,795
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a thread I may have overlooked on the Soundstage comparison of ibasso dx80 vs HTC 10 .
If not , can anyone please comment on the aboave

I have not seen  the thread on this specific subject but I have both and as good as HTC 10 is dx80 has wider soundsatge with better instrument separation. I am fully satisfied with HTC 10 when I use average portable headphones but I tested both extensively with T5p.2 and dx80 is better in every aspect, that includes soundstage.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #6,139 of 6,795

This post was super helpful for me. Thank you for it. As I recall, there is some similar information given in the pinned post at the beginning of this thread, but when I followed the directions there, it didn't work for me and I eventually gave up. I think I probably failed to add the leading / when I changed the paths to /mnt/... If it's possible to put a link to these better instructions from TheoS53 at the first post, that would be a good idea.

But it's still not all candies and unicorns. Because the first two times that I followed the 15-step plan laid out in post 5960, it didn't work. I think I figured out why.

First off, it seems that no matter what filename you give the playlist, when you reach the step where you instruct the DX80 to import it, the device renames it to something like "Playlist1" and there's nothing you can do to change that. Annoyingly, it also creates an empty playlist with the name that you chose (which if you're not paying close attention means you may not realize that you actually succeeded in importing a playlist to the DX80). I created a test playlist called "Popular.m3u," copied it to the DX80, rescanned both cards, located and imported Popular.m3u, the DX80 did a quick scan. Now I have an empty playlist called "Popular" in my Playlists list, and the songs that I listed in "Popular.m3u" show up in "Playlist1." I haven't yet tried to make a second playlist; I hope that doing so doesn't overwrite Playlist1.

EDIT: NONE OF THIS ACTUALLY WORKS... READ BELOW

Second, I made my test playlist using Banshee, which automatically (and unnecessarily) adds # comments for each song in the exported playlist. I think those # comments confuse the DX80. I am not 100% sure of this, since the bug with renaming the playlist meant that I didn't actually look at Playlist1 the first two times I ran my test. But given what I know about how kludgy the DX80 firmware is, I would not be in any way surprised if it is not capable of dealing with comments. I'm sick of messing with this tonight, but if I'm feeling charitable later this week, I may troubleshoot further and confirm/deny that # comments mess things up. Suffice to say, though, that it can't hurt to delete them when you're editing the playlist.

Finally, I'd just like to make it clear that I find it a tremendous burden that the DX80 can't parse paths sensibly in imported m3u files--that this only works if you jack around with a text editor and tweak things manually. This is not hard. People who want to import playlists don't care if it takes a couple more seconds for the device to find the songs if the alternative is jumping through hoops in a text editor. As I've said before in this thread, I understand the need in our current tech landscape to release functional (if buggy) software and eventually get around to fixing it. But if you never get around to fixing it, people will stop buying your products.

The notes I wrote above actually didn't end up working for me. I eventually was able to import playlists with the correct name, but their content was always NOTHING.

I got so mad at playlists not working for me that I gave up on the whole concept for a long time. Today I revisited it and SOLVED MY PROBLEM. The thing I was doing wrong was using a Linux text editor to change the paths of the playlist files before copying to the DX80... and then not specifically instructing the editor to use Windows end-of-line characters instead of the default Linux ones. Now that I've got this sorted out, playlists are awkward, but functional.

If you are having the problem where you follow all the available instructions, but the playlists you import into the DX80 show up blank, make sure you are either using a Windows machine, or you are saving your files with the Windows "line ending" code. (Also make sure you are changing the path in the playlist you plan to export correctly.) You can save with the correct carriage return character in gedit by going with "Save As..." then selecting "Line Ending: Windows" in the pull-down menu next to the Save button. (I also select "Character Encoding: Current Locale (UTF-8)" at this same screen, which works, but other options may work.)

Good luck. Sure would be good if new firmware would come out that (a) fixed all bugs, and (b) implemented functionality similar to Quod Libet.

In my dreams.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #6,145 of 6,795
Has anyone tried an OTG pendrive with DX80? I mean the pendrives which a micro usb on one side and the normal usb on one side. Can this work directly with the DX80?
Yes, but you have to use Directory menu to access its content.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6,146 of 6,795
I'm jumping back on the DX80 train, my brother has basically taken ownership of my last one so I found another cheap.

What's the gist on the best sounding firmare these days?

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #6,147 of 6,795
Has anybody here who owns the DX80 replaced it with the DX200 ?
If so how do they compare ?
Is the difference night and day type of thing ?

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #6,148 of 6,795
  Has anybody here who owns the DX80 replaced it with the DX200 ?
If so how do they compare ?
Is the difference night and day type of thing ?

I have DX200. Partly the reason I picked up DX80 again was so I can compare for you guys. 

I also have DX90 so the entire iBasso trio. The bang for buck is too good.

Pop back in another week or so, I'll say some thoughts.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #6,149 of 6,795
Yes shall be interested H20Fidelity in the comparison and your opinion, thanks.
Regarding the firmware for the DX80 I am using the latest one and it works great, no problems here.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6,150 of 6,795
So, I've had Fiio's new X5 for about a week now, and I must say that I'm still thoroughly impressed by the DX80's sound.  Whilst the X5 sounds a bit smoother, the thing that first intrigued me about the DX80 was it's sound stage. It's wide, but also immersive, surrounding. The X5 doesn't have this, and I especially noticed it on George Ezra's Blame It On Me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back