iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #5,719 of 6,795
To me, the bugs are minor and easy to live with, except 1.5.0 which was very short lived. I, for one, am very happy with the continued and quick firmware support from iBasso. Yeah there are problems, but there are always new fixes, and then minor stuff to keep cleaning up. I'd rather have that scenario than some of the players that get released with decent firmware that never gets updated, leaving you with some bugs that you'll always have to live with, or like Fiio that released the X7 without PC DAC capability and it took them months to finally patch it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #5,720 of 6,795
On 1.5.8 I genuinely can't say that I have found the device buggy. 

However, there are a thing or 2 that I'd like to see added/changed:

1. When browsing through the Artist category, how about a PLAY ALL BY ARTIST function?
2. Perhaps the ability to search? This is especially useful if you're looking for a particular song and can't remember in which album it is (for example).
3. When going into Artists or Genre, the text seems unnecessarily large...would much prefer text size to be uniform across all category screens
4. Screen wakeup when changing volume, perhaps?
5. Option to leave the volume buttons unlocked when locking the device

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #5,724 of 6,795
Great tips pholcus1975, thanks.
Regarding bugs, most of us have had issues one way or another however with every firmware introduced most bugs have now been fixed.
I personally am very pleased with the player and while at it I would also like to thank Paul for his support to this thread.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #5,726 of 6,795
Not quite sure what you're asking.

Do you mean:

DX80+Valhalla 2 vs Phone+Valhalla 2?

or

DX80 vs Phone+Valhalla 2?

Oh good question! I hadn't thought it completely through. I'm wondering about

DX80 (coax out) + Valhalla 2
Vs
DX80 (headphone out)
Vs
Iphone (headphone out) + Valhalla 2
Vs
Samsung S7 Edge (headphone out) + Valhalla 2

One thing I have noticed is that the headphone out of the S7E is noticeably lower than that of the iPhone. I also have a Beyerdynamic A200p which I sometimes use.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,727 of 6,795

Vs
DX80 (headphone out)
Vs
Vs

One thing I have noticed is that the headphone out of the S7E is noticeably lower than that of the iPhone. I also have a Beyerdynamic A200p which I sometimes use.

well, unless the phones have a LO function through the HO, you'll just be double amping the signal

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #5,728 of 6,795

Vs
DX80 (headphone out)
Vs
Vs

One thing is you can't use the coax out to an amp, it is used to send a digital signal to a different DAC. You'd just use the normal line out like you would from a phone.

I personally don't like using phone DACs into good amps, you get good amplification, but you're settling for a crappier signal chain overall. I'd just go with the DX80 for now and if you need extra amplification (not very likely) then pick up an external amp later.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #5,729 of 6,795
  On 1.5.8 I genuinely can't say that I have found the device buggy.

[....]

5. Option to leave the volume buttons unlocked when locking the device

Me neither. I had a lot of trouble with my first unit (returned), and have written some pretty mean/angry things about the firmware in this thread. But it works reasonably well at this stage of development. I like the suggestion for a "locked, but not the volume" option. And I long for, as many others have requested in this thread, the option to view the library by Album Artist, instead of Artist... once you have a few "various artists" compilations in the library, the "Artist" sort option becomes too cumbersome to be useful. But my pie-in-the-sky wish would be something like an on-the-go playlist, where you can long-press a song or album and either "add to the end" or "play next." And obviously, after creating a playlist "on-the-go" in this manner, it would be great to be able to save it as a real playlist. I can relive so many road trips where we took turns passing the ipod around the car, sharing the DJing duties--wish I could do the same with the DX80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back