iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #5,551 of 6,795

The other issue I had with that DX80, which I also explained to AdvancedMp3Players, is that the card slots were not cleanly releasing the cards.  I had had to tease them out with a penknife and tweezers.  I am positive I never put them in incorrectly or with excessive force.

I have had this same issue in my slot 2.  After very few engage/disengage usage cycles, it seems to me that the "spring" has failed.  I only use slot 2 for FW upgrades and now I make sure to never insert the card 100% or it may stay in permanently.  I plan on getting this fixed if I ever send the unit in for other service.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5,552 of 6,795

The other issue I had with that DX80, which I also explained to AdvancedMp3Players, is that the card slots were not cleanly releasing the cards.  I had had to tease them out with a penknife and tweezers.  I am positive I never put them in incorrectly or with excessive force.

After very few engage/disengage usage cycles, it seems to me that the "spring" has failed.

Ah, so now that's what the Americans are referring to when they say "Spring Break". 
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #5,553 of 6,795
the sound of Ibasso IT03 + Ibasso DX80 is just 1 word, wow.
perfect harmony, the synergy is as good as it can get.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #5,554 of 6,795
  Hi there,

Yes to Scotland but no to because of the battery.

My DX80 died for about 45 minutes on 15th Sept. I was listening to music and battery was about 70% when I started. After ~30 minutes listening it just stopped.

When I tried to switch it on I got the startup 'DX80' screen followed by some physical clicks from the player and then the "See you" screen.

I tried plugging it into my charger but it made no difference.

I tried holding the on/off button and '+' to get to the system menu to try a factory reset but it just repeated the same behaviour.

Then, around 45 minutes later I tried starting it up again and, amazingly, it worked!

It's worked fine till the start of the week, when I started it up and it played a few seconds and then died. This time, after a few seconds, I could start it up again and it's played fine. [...]
  I'm happy to persevere with the DX80 because I think it has an excellent sound quality and a decent interface.  No device is ever perfect but for the money, assuming the replacement device works correctly, I think it represents good value for money.  (Queue an avalanche of contradictions!
wink.gif
)

The battery issue has gotten worse. Similar situation you describe. It is reading as charged, once I remove the usb cable and try to start it up, I hear the click and nothing happens, doesn't boot up. Maybe is a bootloader issue? Was having trouble accessing the recovery system (Vol up + Power). Have to hold it down until the screen flashes once then release the buttons. So I have now updated (downgraded) to firmware 1.1.2, did factory reset. And again, updated to 1.3.3, factory reset. I'll report back if anything changes, but if it is indeed a battery issue, that is manageable. It appears to be draining fast. I rescanned my library, was at 80%. Now is 70%. I have some music to listen to, so I'm happy it is working again at least!

Will be shipping back to iBasso in China this Monday. Was to ship back Wed, but got sidetracked with life and health issues. Music is one of my best therapies. Really hoping the new battery will bring it back to life. I am confident it will be taken care of, customer service has been very good so far.

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #5,555 of 6,795
The use LiPo battery seems to be less than ideal. Based on what I read, LiPo typically has less recharge cycles of 300 compared to 500 in Li ion. It does not like to be stored in a fully charged state (4.2v) and should not be fully discharged below 3v as damages may occur. It also does not like to be trickly charging.

This probably mean the player should only be operated between 20% to 90% for the longevity of the battery life.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,557 of 6,795

The battery issue has gotten worse. Similar situation you describe. It is reading as charged, once I remove the usb cable and try to start it up, I hear the click and nothing happens, doesn't boot up. Maybe is a bootloader issue? Was having trouble accessing the recovery system (Vol up + Power). Have to hold it down until the screen flashes once then release the buttons. So I have now updated (downgraded) to firmware 1.1.2, did factory reset. And again, updated to 1.3.3, factory reset. I'll report back if anything changes, but if it is indeed a battery issue, that is manageable. It appears to be draining fast. I rescanned my library, was at 80%. Now is 70%. I have some music to listen to, so I'm happy it is working again at least!

Will be shipping back to iBasso in China this Monday. Was to ship back Wed, but got sidetracked with life and health issues. Music is one of my best therapies. Really hoping the new battery will bring it back to life. I am confident it will be taken care of, customer service has been very good so far.

I have sent you a PM.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #5,558 of 6,795

Sent my DX80 for service due to battery issue. Logic Board replacement was the fix.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,559 of 6,795
I just inquired on the ibasso site about battery replacement on my dx80 which I purchased last December on Amazon.  Li Jian Sheng informed me it was under warranty and provided a return number and address in China.  However, Fed Ex wants $150 to ship from Minnesota to China.  
Was your cost similar and did you also have to pay the same for return shipping from China to the US?
If so, I cannot justify such expense which approaches the original cost of the unit.  I can power the dx80 from an external battery pack for less than $20.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #5,560 of 6,795
swanx1,

I was informed by Paul that there is a member here on Head-Fi who has been sent a number of batteries and I guess it is possible to contract with that person to have the battery replaced for whatever the fee may be. Should be cheaper than sending to China and back. However, if you are in the US, the USPS quoted me at $22 to have it shipped to their plant in China. UPS was honest when I was there last week when they quoted me at $160 shipping one way. To give USPS a try. Aside from the abysmal customer service here in town at our office, it is our post office, not hers! These beaurocrats. Petititions are useful sometimes.

@Ejabeja thanks for your feedback. Just so looking forward to getting this patched up and some great listening sessions in the queue! So far I've been pleased with the player. Really is a bargain since it can be used as a DAC, portable player and also in the car. That is just what I needed it for. I need to be more present with my music and have more quality listening sessions. Loved listening while rollerblading when I first bought it back in May. Loved it! A good deal of Rush and Floyd that day. It is broken in now, so I hope just a battery replacement will solve my issue. Logic board is seperate to the analog circuit, correct?

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #5,563 of 6,795
Strongly recommended dx80 users get the ibasso it03. One of the best pairing with excellent synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back