iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #5,446 of 6,795
I recently upgraded my headphones from PSB MAU1s to the Beyerdynamic t5p v2 headphones. I also am replacing my Fiio X5 (original version) with the DX80. I probably do not have more than 30 hours on the player so my hope is it will sound even better as it sounds pretty good but debating how much improvement over the Fiio. It seems to me on the scale with the Fiio X5 I would typically listen using a volume of around 90 to 95 on high gain and with the DX80 around 100 to 110 on high gain but am not sure if volume scale is an apple to apple comparison. Of course different music sources could have a lot to do with it so this is just an initial impression as I am sure the iBasso has at least the same or if not more powerful amp than the Fiio X5.

There are over 300 posts on this thread so forgive me if this has been asked before - has anyone tried the DX80 with the new Beyerdynamic T5p v2 headphones and if so do you think they could benefit from a portable amp? And of course the obvious follow up question would be what portable amps recommended with these fairly efficient headphones?

By the way if Paul iBasso reads this I want to thank you for the player, I appreciate the longer battery life, better user experience with the touch screen, and smaller form factor at a great value.

Gary

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,447 of 6,795
Was having a battery issue. DX80 batt last only half an hour not more than 1hour max.
Tried all firmwares and factory reset a few times. Still no avail.

Anyone had issues with battery?

Luckily it's still under warranty, send it back to them last 29 August. Still no news today, was informed will take 4 weeks to have it repaired. Since sending it back to China and back to me for repairs.

Also no temp unit to use while the dap is under repair.

Any of you guys encounter this issue before? It's not even 1 year old yet. I use it as DAC on a Mac always and sometimes on the go.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,448 of 6,795
@Paul - iBasso
+1 on adding "Album Artist" as a category. Would actually prefer it to "Artist". But having both would be awesome!

I would also like to see The DX80 display full text of long song titles in the 'Now Playing' screen instead of just cutting off the characters that don't fit. Maybe have the song title slowly move back and forth, as I've seen implemented on other DAP's.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #5,449 of 6,795
I would also like to see The DX80 display full text of long song titles in the 'Now Playing' screen instead of just cutting off the characters that don't fit. Maybe have the song title slowly move back and forth, as I've seen implemented on other DAP's.

Aren't we able to manually scroll over the title to the side to show the whole thing? At least that is what I have stored in my mind and think to remember.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #5,452 of 6,795
I want to say thanks to Paul @ iBasso and the iBasso support in general.

I purchased my DX80 back early this year, while I was (actually I am) totally happy with the sound quality by August it has developed a progressive battery failure - in the end runtime was cut down to less than 30 minutes.. I contacted Paul and he provided me a contact at iBasso for a free replacement. Received a return number and instructions from them how to send it back. Turn over time was only a few days - the most time consuming part was shipping Europe to China and back. The support was processional with great communications. I received it back today with a new battery and I am a happy camper now. Thanks Paul and your support folks, you rock noodles!
beyersmile.png

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #5,453 of 6,795
Has anybody had problems with the spdif connector? It worked great for like 2 months but now everytime I move my DAP it clicks and looses connection and i have to move the cable around to get it to connect again. Would it be my cable or is the port wearing out? Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #5,454 of 6,795
dbaker1981 -- I have not had any problems with the SPDIF output, but probably because I don't use it. And I don't have anything more than the obvious to suggest: Try another cable ($) before trying another DX80 ($$$$). Come to think of it, you may be able to go to somewhere like Best Buy and test SPDIF cables without paying for them.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #5,455 of 6,795
dbaker1981 -- I have not had any problems with the SPDIF output, but probably because I don't use it. And I don't have anything more than the obvious to suggest: Try another cable ($) before trying another DX80 ($$$$). Come to think of it, you may be able to go to somewhere like Best Buy and test SPDIF cables without paying for them.

Yea it's my cable. I hooked it up to my other one and it is working fine. "Thank god" lol

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,456 of 6,795
  Was having a battery issue. DX80 batt last only half an hour not more than 1hour max.
Tried all firmwares and factory reset a few times. Still no avail.

Anyone had issues with battery?

Luckily it's still under warranty, send it back to them last 29 August. Still no news today, was informed will take 4 weeks to have it repaired. Since sending it back to China and back to me for repairs.

Also no temp unit to use while the dap is under repair.

Any of you guys encounter this issue before? It's not even 1 year old yet. I use it as DAC on a Mac always and sometimes on the go.

Sounds familiar. I had it repaired by iBasso (see my posting above), was done professionally and fast - wait time wasn't that bad as the DX80 is not my only DAP. (Any my DX90 will never have this issue, as the battery is user replaceable)

Maybe there was a batch of bad lipo batteries? Even Samsung was hit by the same issue before.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #5,457 of 6,795
  I want to say thanks to Paul @ iBasso and the iBasso support in general.

I purchased my DX80 back early this year, while I was (actually I am) totally happy with the sound quality by August it has developed a progressive battery failure - in the end runtime was cut down to less than 30 minutes.. I contacted Paul and he provided me a contact at iBasso for a free replacement. Received a return number and instructions from them how to send it back. Turn over time was only a few days - the most time consuming part was shipping Europe to China and back. The support was processional with great communications. I received it back today with a new battery and I am a happy camper now. Thanks Paul and your support folks, you rock noodles!
beyersmile.png

I had the same issue. So they just changed the battery and fixed the issue?
Same thing for me it's only 30 mins max usage on them.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5,458 of 6,795

Sounds familiar. I had it repaired by iBasso (see my posting above), was done professionally and fast - wait time wasn't that bad as the DX80 is not my only DAP. (Any my DX90 will never have this issue, as the battery is user replaceable)

Maybe there was a batch of bad lipo batteries? Even Samsung was hit by the same issue before.

Oh sorry never saw your reply to mine. haha

Yah i just sent it to the repair shop, left it there. It's been 1 1/2 weeks and kinda missing my dx80 already. haha
Does the DX90 sounds better than the DX80? i think in the long run because of this i might sell off my DX80 and switch to DX90 or maybe higher models instead.
IMHO user replaceable batt is the way to go.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,459 of 6,795
Well, not better - different. I find the DX90 (FW 2.5.2 L2) lacks a bit 'oooomph' while at the same time sounds a tad brighter (both on Low Gain). Sound stage appears a bit wider on the DX90. The DX80 (1.5.8) is more energetic however. I'll certainly keep both.

Total runtime for the (fresh) battery on the DX80 is longer than on the DX90 due to a larger battery capacity. But the 90er battery can be swapped easily.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #5,460 of 6,795
yah i think in the long run or years go by, user replaceable batt's would be better.
so after a year or so of using, then i do need to send it back to ibasso again for batt replacement?

I think that's a bit of a hassle yah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back