iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #5,434 of 6,795
Windows update is fine and DX80 still connects.

I find the USB cable used makes a big difference as to whether the device connects or not, I recommend Anker cables which always seem to work.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #5,435 of 6,795
Today I successfully took apart my DX80, and assembled it back
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is a picture of the display part, bottom cover with the battery, and the board:

You need to open the connectors to remove the flat cables that go from the display. The wide connector is shown opened.

I've marked with red circles the holes for 5 screws that you need to unscrew to remove the board. Note, that one of the screws is hidden under a sticker with a number, and another hidden screw is under a capacitor.

Take care!

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #5,437 of 6,795

Question regarding ''album view'' : in this view, If I look for compilations of various artists, the name of the artist under the title is one of the artists of the songs. I have my ''album artist'' fields properly tagged, but dx80 doesn't seem to care..
See pic:first two are compilations,I should see ''various' under the title.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5,438 of 6,795
[...] Question regarding ''album view'' : in this view, If I look for compilations of various artists, the name of the artist under the title is one of the artists of the songs. I have my ''album artist'' fields properly tagged, but dx80 doesn't seem to care..

I can't help with this question, but I will use it as an opportunity to complain (respectfully) that since I have so many "various artists" compilations, the notion of looking at my music library on the DX80 "by artist" is absolutely worthless--just hundreds and hundreds of one-off artists cluttering the view. iBasso really needs to get a handle on the "album artist" field, both for the reasons pholcus1975 cites, and for my reason.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #5,440 of 6,795
  Today I successfully took apart my DX80, and assembled it back
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is a picture of the display part, bottom cover with the battery, and the board:

You need to open the connectors to remove the flat cables that go from the display. The wide connector is shown opened.

I've marked with red circles the holes for 5 screws that you need to unscrew to remove the board. Note, that one of the screws is hidden under a sticker with a number, and another hidden screw is under a capacitor.

Take care!

can you make instruction? how to take it apart.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #5,441 of 6,795

Question regarding ''album view'' : in this view, If I look for compilations of various artists, the name of the artist under the title is one of the artists of the songs. I have my ''album artist'' fields properly tagged, but dx80 doesn't seem to care..
See pic:first two are compilations,I should see ''various' under the title.

Like at least 90%+ of audio players, the DX80 doesn't care about the "Album Artist" tag and builds its database based on the regular "Artist" tag.
Except for Android models with third-party apps as well as more or less recent Astell & Kern plus Apple devices, about most players don't read the "Album Artist" tag.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #5,442 of 6,795
Like at least 90%+ of audio players, the DX80 doesn't care about the "Album Artist" tag and builds its database based on the regular "Artist" tag.
Except for Android models with third-party apps as well as more or less recent Astell & Kern plus Apple devices, about most players don't read the "Album Artist" tag.

Can you explain what this means? I don't know if I understand correctly the difference between the two.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 4, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,443 of 6,795

Can you explain what this means? I don't know if I understand correctly the difference between the two.

Sure!

Let's take Yello's "Touch Yello" album as an example, as it contains some tracks with guest artists. Tracks with only Yello as artist have "Yello" in the "Artist" tag and nothing or "Yello" written into the "Album Artist" tag (this might vary depending on the tagging/ripping software). However tracks with guest artists have "Yello" written into the "Album Artist" field and "Yello ft. Till Bronner" in the "Track Artist" field.

In order to get one whole album/artist shown in the database when going for the Artist View and no fragments, the player needs to read the "Album Artist" tag as the master tag with the regular "Artist" tag being the slave.
If the player builds the database solely on the regular artist tag, one will get many fragments of one album instead of the entire one when going "Artist" -> "[Album Selection]".

As it seems, a correct "Album Artist" view implementation might be a little tricky (at least more complicated than the regular "Artist" view) as I think some exceptions need to be added to the source code (e.g. "when the album artist tag of album X is empty, go by the track artist tag and create a database entry..." as well as exceptions that include the case when one album only has the "Album Artist" tag filled out for tracks that contain guest artists).

I know that the iPod Classic (stock Apple firmware, as RockBox is able to do it) want able to handle the "Album Artist" tag either, but since the iPhone was introduced, newer iDevices are now able to properly read this tag (devices that are running on iOS even give you the ability to choose between both tags somewhere in the music settings).

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #5,445 of 6,795
Hear,hear!!!, Please someone fix this, as it makes such a mess of the file system. I have a lot of compilations sets that when I look on my laptop are sorted RIGHT, it seems that when I put them on any of my Daps, it becomes a unusable mess. Some manufacturers of said Daps need to fix this. In this age of technology there are way to many of these makers of our beloved players who are  1) cheating with the software and releasing buggy UI and making us QA it for them and more often or not when something is noted,it is ignored. 2)It seems to me a fair amount of my players have basically the same software, like they are sharing the same crappy template. Wow I feel better that i got that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back