iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,696 of 6,795
  Would you buy a product knowing that its support will be dropped in a year? I, for one, appreciate iBasso efforts in supporting just discontinued products.

Point taken but...

I spend too much time on this page and I don't have a DX90 or DX50.  I don't know what problems still exist in their firmwares.

On the other hand, when it comes to an either/or, as implied in Paul's last post, and the result is that iBasso are currently doing NOTHING to remedy serious problems (for some) on their current product, well that's bad, isn't it?

I understand that all resources are finite but when it comes to prioritisation surely it makes sense to:

1. Address the most serious problems first.
  2. Where resource conflict occurs, get the current product sorted so that the negativity that the current issues are attracting does not impact current sales.  (If I was a potential DX80 purchaser I'm not sure I would buy one, having read just the last few pages of this thread.  As it happens, the firmware issues don't impact my usage pattern anyway - though I'm just aghast that iBasso are neglecting fixing serious problems in their current product in favour of discontinued products.)

I don't know what problems still exist on prior /discontinued models, accepted.  If they are as serious as the current ones on DX80 then I guess our road with the DX80 is going to be perpetually bumpy!

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #4,697 of 6,795
Would you buy a product knowing that its support will be dropped in a year? I, for one, appreciate iBasso efforts in supporting just discontinued products.

Yes, of course. That's why I said "most of the time". Naturally, some time should be spent updating previous products. But the priority, with most of the time, should be spent on the new products, I believe. Or else, we have a new product with short support.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #4,698 of 6,795
FYI, the player source code for DX50 and DX90 is exactly the same, and it shares many with DX80. So, working under DX50/90 iBasso improves something for DX80 and vice versa. For instance, the main problem with the latest firmware for old models is cut off of the end of the last track, which is already fixed for DX80. On the other hand, recently DX80 has lost tag support in Vorbus files, but it is already fixed for DX90 (I've checked!).

In brief, better not to blame without knowing the full story. It is well known that iBasso is a small company, but they do their best to serve customers. OK, I know that "the best" is not always "good", but, at least they are trying :) So let them decide about priorities.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #4,699 of 6,795
I just scanned a 128g card into my X7. I took it out of the DX80 inserted it in the Fiio and in less than 90 seconds I was playing music. This whole ibasso thing has been a terrible experience. I do think the player has real good sound but just coming to this thread depresses me. GL to all of you but I'm outta here. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,700 of 6,795
is there a change in sound dynamics if you use low or high gain ?

what's better sonically, picking low gain and pushing vol levels higher or picking high gain and keeping vol levels lower ?

is there a concensus here ?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #4,703 of 6,795
  is there a change in sound dynamics if you use low or high gain ?

what's better sonically, picking low gain and pushing vol levels higher or picking high gain and keeping vol levels lower ?

is there a concensus here ?

It always depends on the device and headphones in question, but I have generally found that I prefer using high gain and lower volume levels. If your headphones aren't that sensitive, then high gain is always the better option. Low gain is really just there to prevent people from blowing up very sensitive headphones and to reduce hiss with sensitive headphones.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #4,704 of 6,795

While imperfect FW is a PITA for all of us, I can say from my experience that I have yet to see a company diligently "stick to it" to the level that ibasso has. They have also interacted with the users and considered many suggestions.

I own the DX100, 90 and 80. Was there some pain getting them to the shape they are in now...yes! However all of them now have good functionality and sound great.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,705 of 6,795
I have a DX50 and now a DX80 and they have served my portable music need admirably. I also have a Cowon P1 and it is used rarely. I have read these threads for both iBasso products and although I feel sorry for all the users that have had problems I must concur that I have had a few problems but nothing that has stopped me from listening to my music. I always carried a spare battery for the DX50 and now a power bank for the DX80. I have used both Unique Melody Miracle ciem, Sony MDR-1A and Meze 99 Classics headphones with no problems in any way. I feel most users are happy too and have no need to post disparaging comments. If help is needed then that is fine and people do try to help and that should be the way of this forum.

peace all.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #4,706 of 6,795
I've had my DX80 for a couple of months now and I have not encountered any major issues with mine. Sure I get the occasional null artist issue during scanning from time to time but not really a big deal since I can just easily reload those files and then do the rescan for that specific folder. That being said I won't really go into the sound quality of the FW updates since I do notice some differences in between FW versions but again it doesn't bother me as much since if I have a problem with the update I can just as easily go back to the previous FW version. 

Just my 2 cents 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #4,709 of 6,795
  I have a DX50 and now a DX80 and they have served my portable music need admirably. I also have a Cowon P1 and it is used rarely. I have read these threads for both iBasso products and although I feel sorry for all the users that have had problems I must concur that I have had a few problems but nothing that has stopped me from listening to my music. I always carried a spare battery for the DX50 and now a power bank for the DX80. I have used both Unique Melody Miracle ciem, Sony MDR-1A and Meze 99 Classics headphones with no problems in any way. I feel most users are happy too and have no need to post disparaging comments. If help is needed then that is fine and people do try to help and that should be the way of this forum.

peace all.

I've also had the DX50 and DX90 (sold the latter this week after 2 years of use). Last week I've picked up a (used) DX100 and I think it's amazing (superb SQ)
smily_headphones1.gif

The DX80 will be skipped by me, as I have more interest in the upcoming new flagship DX200. But over the past years I only had positive experiences with my iBasso daps and I think it's great how they communicate with their customers here on HF.

A rarely used P1?  Hmmm, can't say that about mine
rolleyes.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,710 of 6,795

Have you tried a full format, not quick but full in exFat? Please try this if you haven't.

So, now i formatted (full format) the card in exfat, copied the whole bunch of music files back onto the freshly formatted card and re scanned it with FW 1.42... same result, unfortunately. the dx80 rebooted during the scanning process and the library is spoiled... only this time win10 cant open the card anymore when connected to the dx80 as card reader.

so i guess ill have to revert back to 1.33 and wait for a new FW to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back