iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4,621 of 6,795
dx80 battery life is quite bad

@Paul - iBasso need to fix it asap, already thinking of selling dx80 but the sound is stopping me
cheers
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,622 of 6,795
  @Paul - iBasso

I reported earlier that my DX80 is loosing charge at around 10% a day while not in use at all.  A number of users here also have similar experience.  Have you guys got any idea what could have caused that?

Just as an update of the situation, I fully charged my DX80 last night and by this afternoon, it only has 85% power left.  Should I take my unit back to the retailer?  As I cannot disconnect the battery I need to keep charging the DX80 everyday to avoid over discharging the battery, which will kill the battery for sure.

Cheers

Victor

Are you switching it off between listening sessions or leaving it turned on like a smartphone? 

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,624 of 6,795

Of course switched off, got the "see you" screen.

im with you the battery life is draining to the extent dx80 is my least used dap.
cowon plenue d has taken over bc of the sensational battery life although sound is not as nice as dx80.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4,626 of 6,795
My battery lasts at least 10+ hours with my Oppo PM-3 headphones and I don't lose any battery life while the unit is turned off. Just wanted throw my experience in there.

I also detect absolutely zero differences in sound signature between firmware revisions. I think it's all in your heads =p

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #4,627 of 6,795
  My battery lasts at least 10+ hours with my Oppo PM-3 headphones and I don't lose any battery life while the unit is turned off. Just wanted throw my experience in there.

I also detect absolutely zero differences in sound signature between firmware revisions. I think it's all in your heads =p

yes but my dx80 can last me less than 12 hours of listening while cowon pd can last me at least 3 days 
blink.gif

although i love the dx80, i am charging the dx80 like a phone on a daily basis which I dont mind but compared to my other daps, I mind 
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #4,628 of 6,795
I'm not heavy user, sometimes I will listen couple songs before sleep, maybe 10~30min each time, but not everyday,
and sometimes I will also charge it for a while during playback or transfer new songs to it.
My DX80 can last for a month !

It is Li-ion battery, charge it whenever you like,
and don't charge until battery is empty.
This will make battery more healthy.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,629 of 6,795
  and don't charge until battery is empty.
This will make battery more healthy.

Wrong. This is very wrong. You are killing your battery. Don't let it go below at least 30/20%, these battery don't like to be low. And yes, charge it often When you can and best performance is around 60%. They don't also like to be full, but It's not that bad as being empt. Not even close.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #4,630 of 6,795

Now the sound of the FW versions comes up again from a few people I decided to to a re-check on this with an open mind. I installed the 1.4.0 and 1.4.2 versions when they came out, but went back to 1.3.3 again because of the better sound. Yesterday I reinstalled 1.4.2 and gave it a serious listen over several hours and different types of music.

To me there is a clear difference in sound. I tried this with the DX80 as stand alone player, and I also tried the line out of the DX80 and used my Torpedo III amp. In both cases I think 1.3.3 sounds better: Better tonality, more natural sounding, more real. In my ears FW 1.4.2 still sounds clinial and with a slightl lean tonality.

I'm back on FW 1.3.3 again :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #4,633 of 6,795
I've measured two or three different FWs (frequency response, crosstalk, IMD, THD, SNR) and they did not show any difference at all.

Changing FWs does obviously take some time, so one cannot make an objective judgement when doing listening tests between FWs with only one device because there are quite a few minutes between FW A and FW B. For a more objective comparison, one would need at least two DX80s with different FWs, playing the exact same music files. Maybe something that could be interesting doing at the next CanJam or meet? 
wink.gif

It would of course require that different people have different FWs running on their DX80 and that either one would bring multiple micro SD cards with the same music or that one would send those music files to the visitors who are planning to bring their DX80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back