iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 15, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #4,503 of 6,795
Both DAPs are good, I would pick either one but you should get some better IEMs. The Cks77 are good but there is so much better out there. You get major improvements from higher class headphones then you do from a new DAP.

May 15, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,504 of 6,795
All the firmwares I've heard--admittedly with blown-out, 40-yo "old man" ears and <$400 headphones--sound pretty much the same: they sound great.  Awaiting a firmware release that combines (a) the ability of 1.3.3 to scan all my files without crashing or "nulling" dozens of songs, with (b) the barely-user-friendly functionality added for the various (lousy) 1.4.x versions. Specifically, I would like to be able to navigate from a list of hundreds of albums/songs/artists/whatever into one subdirectory from that list, decide I took a wrong turn, then navigate back to the list of hundreds of albums/etc. without being idiotically taken back to the top of the list. This is not a big ask.

May 15, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4,507 of 6,795
Hi all, between dx80 and fiio x5 which would you choose for mainly better bass? sorry that I didnt do enough reading. thanks

Both a very close in bass, if you wanted visceral bass, should've bought the Cowon Plenue D.. Lol.. Easily the most insane bass on a DAP.. The DX80 and the X5ii are all about a natural sound signature. You can squeeze a little more thump from the DX80, but you can manipulate any smartphone to give you loads more bass, but of course you miss out on details.. You can't have both.. Sorry..
When I want to listen to the gangster rap with the bass heavy sub-bass rumble, I use my iPhone 6 sending a signal to the Fiio E12A, to boost the sub-bass and give my earphones the power they need to stay controlled.. Any other time, I rely on my Shanling M2 or DX80.. With my bDay nearing, I'm looking forward to the Shanling M5!!

By the way, give the RHA T10's a shot for bass heavy signature.. The Mids and Highs are very good too..

May 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4,508 of 6,795
Or you can put a good amp on line out. Thumbs go way (I'm not having much thumps and from those I have they don't bother me). If the amp has a perfectly darker background it improves the hiss on low impedance IEMs. The amp on the DX80 is a bit on the warmer side I feel. It actually very emotional, I noticed that. But it's not very refined in details. I just test now and the FiiO E12A is a better amp. More open, refined and detailed, better mids, no hiss, no thumps...Well, it's a significantly better experience, I'm sure of that. But...it cannot power properly the HD650. Despite giving a refined sound, the body is too thin. So, I'm saying its better than the DX80 internal amp but...on IEMs. If I can spend the money now I would get also the Picollo amp, read good thing about it.

I want to say that, with time being, I don't think the amp on the DX80 is worst than the E12A. It just has a different signature: the E12A has more bass quantity but maybe a just a bit less cohesion, the mids (strongest point of E12A) and the treble are showing their details in just a bit more prominent way. And the MUSES02 used gives it a very specific (and very addictive) tonality. It sounds a bit more aggressive. The amp in the DX80 in comparison is a bit more neutral, flatter and maybe natural sounder. A bit smoother and very enjoyable but...

...now I'm getting a feeling of slow PRAT and maybe a smooth "injection" with my Earsonics SM64 in slow music just using the DX80. Feels like I'm almost falling asleep lol I just have to use this combo with a little more energetic music for it to have a natural pace. For instance, Daft Punk is enough (minimum) and I start tapping my feet with that hypnotic rithm. I'm maybe in the market for a new IEM soon, more energetic. Well, don't know, I remembered that E12A gives a more agressive character to DX80. Come on guys, help me out, I'm trying to get a pretext to get the Earsonic Velvet now that its price has lowered 
dt880smile.png

May 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,509 of 6,795

I want to say that, with time being, I don't think the amp on the DX80 is worst than the E12A. It just has a different signature: the E12A has more bass quantity but maybe a just a bit less cohesion, the mids (strongest point of E12A) and the treble are showing their details in just a bit more prominent way. And the MUSES02 used gives it a very specific (and very addictive) tonality. It sounds a bit more aggressive. The amp in the DX80 in comparison is a bit more neutral, flatter and maybe natural sounder. A bit smoother and very enjoyable but...

...now I'm getting a feeling of slow PRAT and maybe a smooth "injection" with my Earsonics SM64 in slow music just using the DX80. Feels like I'm almost falling asleep lol I just have to use this combo with a little more energetic music for it to have a natural pace. For instance, Daft Punk is enough (minimum) and I start tapping my feet with that hypnotic rithm. I'm maybe in the market for a new IEM soon, more energetic. Well, don't know, I remembered that E12A gives a more agressive character to DX80. Come on guys, help me out, I'm trying to get a pretext to get the Earsonic Velvet now that its price has lowered 
dt880smile.png

Enjoy the variety. Just like going to different halls/venues, you can enjoy different monitors and amps or no amps. I look at my headphones, with a number being TOTL and wish I could listen to them all at one time. lol They all offer something different and all enjoyable, depending upon my mood. 

May 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,510 of 6,795
It's the first time. However, after it happened, it didn't recover after several tries when it kept turning off. Then, I put it away and tried again in 10-15 minutes and it woke up...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I had that exact same thing happen to me. I've also seen this same complaint posted several times throughout this thread. So, it's a known and recurring issue. When it happened to myself, I had only had the DX80 for a couple of weeks, so I returned it to the seller for a replacement. The replacement has never demonstrated the this behavior (going on 5 months now). I think I was running FW 1.3.0 on the failed unit. I'm curious to know what version you're running?

May 16, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #4,511 of 6,795
It's the first time. However, after it happened, it didn't recover after several tries when it kept turning off. Then, I put it away and tried again in 10-15 minutes and it woke up...

I had that exact same thing happen to me. I've also seen this same complaint posted several times throughout this thread. So, it's a known and recurring issue. When it happened to myself, I had only had the DX80 for a couple of weeks, so I returned it to the seller for a replacement. The replacement has never demonstrated the this behavior (going on 5 months now). I think I was running FW 1.3.0 on the failed unit. I'm curious to know what version you're running?

I've bought my unit some six months ago and I've never had any problems whatsoever. But now, it struck! I am using FW 1.4.2, the latest one. I just hope it's not going to be recurrent...

May 16, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #4,512 of 6,795
I just hope it's not going to be recurrent...
It happened for me once in November, at the first day of use, and never repeated again. Also, from a few people who experienced the same misbehavior, I never heard about repeats.

May 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #4,513 of 6,795
I just hope it's not going to be recurrent...
It happened for me once in November, at the first day of use, and never repeated again. Also, from a few people who experienced the same misbehavior, I never heard about repeats.

Let's hope so! Thank you!

May 16, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,514 of 6,795
2 questions , maybe someone has done the testing

1 - of the last 3 FWs (1.3.3 , 1.4.0 and 1.4.2) which is more musical ? more neutral ? more detailed ?

2 - are Lurker FWs any different in sound quality/signature than the original DX80 Fws frm which they emanated ?

thanx for any feedback 
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,515 of 6,795

1 - of the last 3 FWs (1.3.3 , 1.4.0 and 1.4.2) which is more musical ? more neutral ? more detailed ?

1.3.3 sound more musical to me, and better than any of the 1.4 FWs. If you prefer a sound with a more forward treble and more focus on on details than coherency and musicality, then I think you will prefer the 1.4 FW's. I don't think one is clearly better, it's a matter of preference. 

I use the Lurker FW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back