iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 7, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,351 of 6,795

That's interesting. On my DX80 the scan-process with 1.4.2 takes about 2 hours before it crashes. How many songs do you have on your cards? Later today I will give it another try with all cover-jpgs removed (of all my mp3-files). Maybe that makes a difference.

To give a follow-up: I now have removed all cover images of my mp3s, but the only thing that changes is the time. Now the scan is faster but crashes at the same position. Maybe there is a limit on files which the DX80 is able to scan. Does someone have more than 20.000 songs on his DX80? The next thing I will try is to split the files onto two cards.

The most frustrating point is that even after the crash there is no way to hear the songs which are not scanned. If I choose a file via the directory browser the scanning of the folder starts, ends and nothing happens.

Maik

May 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #4,353 of 6,795
  Did you see the price of those devices you are talking about? lol

I really enjoy the Mojo but IMO while it improves in a few areas the DX80 can also sound larger. I enjoy them both 

May 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #4,354 of 6,795
I haven't actually amped my DX80 yet, loving the sound through my Unique Melody Miracles as it is. I also bought a pair of Meze 99 Classics and they sound great too

May 7, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4,356 of 6,795

To give a follow-up: I now have removed all cover images of my mp3s, but the only thing that changes is the time. Now the scan is faster but crashes at the same position. Maybe there is a limit on files which the DX80 is able to scan. Does someone have more than 20.000 songs on his DX80? The next thing I will try is to split the files onto two cards.

The most frustrating point is that even after the crash there is no way to hear the songs which are not scanned. If I choose a file via the directory browser the scanning of the folder starts, ends and nothing happens.

Maik

With 1.4.2 (and 1.4.1), mine crashes while scanning 5000 flacs divided between 2 cards. One card has only around 300 items. Those all scan correctly. The crashing always happens at some point while it's scanning remaining 4700 flacs on the other card. All the files are tagged consistently. As I said above, this problem doesn't happen with 1.3.3, so I'm still back on that level FW... which means the "back" button takes me to the top of any list, and that I'm dealing with a bunch of other lousy UI problems, "nulls" and so on.

Frankly, I am sick to death of troubleshooting, scanning, rescanning, re-rescanning, upgrading FW, downgrading FW, and so on--all in an effort to find workarounds for this barely functional, garbage software. Frustration doesn't begin to describe it. But I'm not optimistic that iBasso is ever going to make this right. They really don't seem to care. If they did, they would have been in break-fix mode after 1.4.1, working hard to fix the problems they introduced with that FW level. Instead, they wasted the efforts of their (presumably only) programmer adding pointless features like a translucent volume menu for 1.4.2.

I think they've already moved on to the next model, and are running out the clock on the DX80. I regret the purchase, and will never give iBasso my money ever again... which is a shame, since the machine does sound really good... when it works. If I understand my warranty correctly, I think I have a little more time before I have to send it back for a refund. I hope iBasso surprises me with functional FW before then. But again--not optimistic. 

May 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #4,357 of 6,795
I really enjoy the Mojo but IMO while it improves in a few areas the DX80 can also sound larger. I enjoy them both 
for me I feel Mojo changes the sound signature of dx80 and turns out to not be my cup of tea

May 8, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #4,358 of 6,795
May 8, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #4,360 of 6,795
well it isnt that portable anymore...

Sure it is but what I mean is that I prefer the Hugo over the Mojo. For being portable the DX80 does great for me. 

May 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #4,363 of 6,795
I wonder what is the purpose of spying on thread of something that you disliked
tongue.gif

maybe they grow to appreciate it?
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #4,364 of 6,795
 I think I have a little more time before I have to send it back for a refund. I hope iBasso surprises me with functional FW before then. But again--not optimistic. 

Man, I understand that you're frustrated..! I guess I'm one of the luckier as I have a DAP that works fine on 1.4.2, but I'm not too crazy about the more analytical sound compared to previous FW version. I really like the DX80, it's such a cool piece of kit, so let us hope they work things out soon.

The DX200 looks tempting as an upgrade path, but honestly I'm not sure if I dare to buy it based the level of frustration some have with their iBasso machines. We don't buy these things to build frustration, we buy them to enjoy music.

Lately I've been following the Fiio X7 thread, there does not seem to be the same level of problems, and the new amp modules being introduced now seems to be really, really good.... Hmmm...

May 8, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #4,365 of 6,795
  Man, I understand that you're frustrated..! I guess I'm one of the luckier as I have a DAP that works fine on 1.4.2, but I'm not too crazy about the more analytical sound compared to previous FW version. I really like the DX80, it's such a cool piece of kit, so let us hope they work things out soon.

The DX200 looks tempting as an upgrade path, but honestly I'm not sure if I dare to buy it based the level of frustration some have with their iBasso machines. We don't buy these things to build frustration, we buy them to enjoy music.

Lately I've been following the Fiio X7 thread, there does not seem to be the same level of problems, and the new amp modules being introduced now seems to be really, really good.... Hmmm...

but fiio daps lack the musicality that ibasso brings
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back