iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 3, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,231 of 6,795
Might be of interest to some that are not aware that there is a poster on another thread who has tweaked the sound and personally I think it sounds great.
He has disabled the EQ so might not be for everyone.

May 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4,232 of 6,795
That is not what I read.
But pete99 understands me right way. Probably my explanations not so clear because English is not my native language...

May 3, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,233 of 6,795
Might be of interest to some that are not aware that there is a poster on another thread who has tweaked the sound
If you disassemble "his" firmware, compare it to the original version and realize the real meaning of the changes made, you won't call it "tweaked the sound" :wink: Ask him to reproduce the sound signature that you like in another fw version, and see him to fail, if you don't believe me.

May 3, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,234 of 6,795
But pete99 understands me right way. Probably my explanations not so clear because English is not my native language...

Same here, I'm also struggling to get the nuances right in English 
wink.gif

So what you are saying is, that there is no way to know what effect changes in firmware has on the sound of the DX80?

This is new to me, and different from what I hear from software developers I have been involved with during the voicing of audio designs during the years.

But maybe your statement is not general, but just for the DX80..? If the statement is just for the DX80 this would indicate, that the sound can go in any direction after a FW upgrade. Do I understand you correctly on this?

May 3, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4,236 of 6,795

Oo for me fiio is bright sounding!

Hehe, ya see, just like how I said I don't hear changes to the sound between FW's, we can't even all agree on house sound :)

It is very interesting how we all hear very differently. By the way, I owned the X1 and E18, that's all, I can understand if other products sounded brighter.

May 3, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,237 of 6,795
If you disassemble "his" firmware, compare it to the original version and realize the real meaning of the changes made, you won't call it "tweaked the sound"
wink.gif
Ask him to reproduce the sound signature that you like in another fw version, and see him to fail, if you don't believe me.

I believe you as I read all the thread and your posts on there.

May 3, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,238 of 6,795
  Hehe, ya see, just like how I said I don't hear changes to the sound between FW's, we can't even all agree on house sound :)

It is very interesting how we all hear very differently. By the way, I owned the X1 and E18, that's all, I can understand if other products sounded brighter.

sound is so subjective. no right no wrong

May 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #4,239 of 6,795
But maybe your statement is not general, but just for the DX80..?
No, not only for DX80. Just above I mentioned QLS QA360 as a clear example.

To eliminate the problem, at least the following conditions should be met: very stable DAC clocks; sofisticated power supply, with isolated sources for digital part, DAC and analog part; eliminate high frequency noises from digital part to audio. But, probably, there is something more...

I know that in DX90 the DAC clocks are very good, but I don't know about power supply etc. For my DX90, the hardware mod that was made for me, reduced the firmware influence a lot!

May 3, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #4,240 of 6,795
To eliminate the problem, at least the following conditions should be met: very stable DAC clocks; sofisticated power supply, with isolated sources for digital part, DAC and analog part; eliminate high frequency noises from digital part to audio. But, probably, there is something more...

OK, then it makes sense for me again, since this is the kind of equipment I have been involved in the voicing of are totally optimized on all the areas you mention (Crazy expensive high end audio equipment). In designs like that the programmers can tweak the sound relatively predictably.

Thanks Lurker...

May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #4,242 of 6,795
  Crazy expensive high end audio equipment

Now imagine how hard to do it in such a small form factor, with only one battery as the power source! No place for big capacitors, step-up regulators produce high frequency noise, thermal dissipation is bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back