iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,011 of 6,795
I guess, if one is using mojo, it makes no difference whether the signal comes from X3II or DX80, does it?

In theory yes, digital out is just that. I have personally believed to heard differences running different sources via USB, coax or optical. It's not something I'll talk about extensively in this thread.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2,013 of 6,795
Talking fr experience?
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, I have the strongest big left toe ever to the point that I wear different shoe size on my left foot!

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #2,014 of 6,795

The procedures seem too complicated for me (I'm not good with PC).
Does that even in recovery mode, factory reset & FW update are still not clean ?

For most all FW updates the normal process is all that is needed. If their are complications the batch tool can help to restore a unit but most always it is not needed.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,015 of 6,795

Yep, that's correct.

iBasso don't intend on changing the sound each firmware, when they correct bugs, adjust the CPU and all these things I don't understand this alters the sound. 

What they try and do is understand why it changes exactly and correct it.

Yep, that's correct.

iBasso don't intend on changing the sound each firmware, when they correct bugs, adjust the CPU and all these things I don't understand this alters the sound. 

What they try and do is understand why it changes exactly and correct it.

It is strange that fw changes have such an impact on sound quality.
What could be the causes? Higher CPU load leading to higher power consumption and more interference or different amplification?
Or perhaps setting a digital filter in a different way to reduce hiss leading to a different sound signature?
Or the CPU not being powerful enough or getting too hot and reducing speed and as a result decoding errors?

On a German forum measurements were posted for the DX90 - flat for the stock 2.3 Firmware, strangely curved for a Rockbox Firmware for the DX90:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-125-6242-36.html

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,016 of 6,795
What could be the causes? Higher CPU load leading to higher power consumption and more interference or different amplification?
Or perhaps setting a digital filter in a different way to reduce hiss leading to a different sound signature?
Or the CPU not being powerful enough or getting too hot and reducing speed and as a result decoding errors?

On a German forum measurements were posted for the DX90 - flat for the stock 2.3 Firmware, strangely curved for a Rockbox Firmware for the DX90:

I really don't know sorry.

All the work done inside a firmware patch or update is way beyond me. I did successfully get my Commodore 64 to load a game via cassette tape in 1983, so maybe I can still learn. :wink:

Now the sound differences, that's something I know how to describe. :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,017 of 6,795

These measurements give indeed very strange figures. It proofs again that a sound sig isn't something you can grip easily
like W = V x A. 
There's much more under the horizon than our brains can understand (at this moment). It's probably a very complex combination of hard- and software, (and personal preferences) mixed together. That makes all the discussions about the "right or wrong sound" and the why and how questions at this forum all more enjoyable and interesting! For this I don't envy the iBasso staff to try and find an ideal firmware. It's just not possible. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,019 of 6,795

The only problem I have is not being able to install new Windows driver to use it as USB DAC, my Norton Anti-virus deletes executable within a second of unzipping it, marking it as a virus.  @Paul - iBasso can you please let your guys know about it?  Better yet, tell them "no soup" until they recompile that driver so Norton is happy
biggrin.gif

AVG doesn't detect as anything dodgy. Try excluding the folder you're downloading it to.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,020 of 6,795

The only problem I have is not being able to install new Windows driver to use it as USB DAC, my Norton Anti-virus deletes executable within a second of unzipping it, marking it as a virus.  @Paul - iBasso can you please let your guys know about it?  Better yet, tell them "no soup" until they recompile that driver so Norton is happy
biggrin.gif

AVG doesn't detect as anything dodgy. Try excluding the folder you're downloading it to.

It's not the folder, download was OK.  It's when I'm unzipping it, in that instance I get a virus pop-up without a choice of file being quarantined to let me decide if I want to delete it.  I need to play around with Norton setting (triggers even when I have wifi disabled) - this is Internet Security edition of Norton, and they are trying to fool-proof it by hiding a lot of options.  I might just have to suspend the process, putting it on half, run the install, and then re-enable it.

Btw, I did more critical listening last night, analyzing FW 1.2.1 sound with different headphones, and do hear a more reference quality brighter sound in comparison to 1.1.4.  I guess it all depends which pair of headphones you are using.  With brighter signature headphones it's less noticeable, while with warmer/neutral ones it will be less subtle.  Can't explain this phenomenon, but I have experienced it with a lot of my other DAPs (FiiO, Cayin, L&P, etc) as well.  Perhaps it's related to some optimization which inadvertently changes the sound, who knows.  A theory was thrown up in the air about change of current/voltage in amp section.  That is rather a drastic change, in my opinion, which going to affect spec of the DAP.  Not sure they will go for that, but who knows...

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #2,021 of 6,795

It's not the folder, download was OK.  It's when I'm unzipping it, in that instance I get a virus pop-up without a choice of file being quarantined to let me decide if I want to delete it.  I need to play around with Norton setting (triggers even when I have wifi disabled) - this is Internet Security edition of Norton, and they are trying to fool-proof it by hiding a lot of options.  I might just have to suspend the process, putting it on half, run the install, and then re-enable it.

You are put that zip file in a folder, and set in Norton an exclusion from scanning for that folder, and then unzip the file.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,023 of 6,795
DX80 will sound considerably cleaner and more vibrant than X3II, like a large level of warmth or veil has been lifted. I do find X3ii a technically capable unit however for me, I'd take the DX80 over my old X3II any day because FiiO house sound is not to my desire. You can try Mojo and run it from X3II coax out, that will work quite well, you'll be carrying a stack though.If you want my personal option I'd say take the DX80 which will fit more in line with Dunu DN-1000's performance ceiling. 

Either choice is a step in the right direction though.

Youve been really a great help. Thank you.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,024 of 6,795
Anyone here with experience of the cayin n5 who could do a quick wright up of pros and cons? Would be much appreciated

In terms of a sound difference, I talked about it in my review, toward the end in the comparison section: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-dx80-high-resolution-audio-player/reviews/14737

Regarding everything else, it's up to you if you are more comfortable with a touch screen interface vs scroll wheel (and FiiO style UI used in Cayin) navigation.  2.5mm TRRS output of N5 is great as long as you don't have sensitive IEMs/CIEMs, otherwise too much hissing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back