iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,652 of 6,795
I just need it working through DX80 itself straight to phones. My DSD files (64 and 128) play speeded up so I can't listen to them. It was funny at first but I'm eager for next FW update to fix this. My high rez flacs play fine. Just DSD is too fast. I have reset and rescanned multiple times.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #1,654 of 6,795
Strange. I have 64 and 128 and they all play fine, around 90 albums. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #1,659 of 6,795
Regarding 'noises' when starting, stopping and skipping tracks.

As I stated in a previous post, on FW 1.1.4. with FAT32 formatted cards loaded with ALAC files, I have no issues or noises whatsoever when playing audio to headphones from the DX80 directly.

However, when the DX80 is digitally paired with a Chord Mojo and I do the same, I do get some audible artefacts and I can see from the way the Mojo sampling frequency light flicks that the PCM digital lock is briefly interrupted when pausing or skipping. Not enough to be a deal breaker given the SQ hike using the Mojo brings, but annoying nonetheless.

It seem that the DX80 does not handle the PCM digital feed particularly elegantly, because I get no such noises when feeding Mojo a PCM feed from other home devices.

Whether this is something that iBasso can resolve with FW updates, or if it is a HW issues remains to be seen.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,661 of 6,795
I want to ask you guys before I make any assumptions: I use the DX80 to output coaxial output to my Hugo. I'm running 1.1.4. and whenever I play WAV files (which are 24 bit/192Khz or less) which are said to be supported on the iBasso website for the DX80, my DX80 freezes. Only way to get out of that freeze is to hold the off button until it turns off and this repeats whenever I try to output wav files through the coaxial output.
Additionally, I checked to see if it's the same for the headphone output and it is...
Also, it sometimes goes to the play screen which just says ready and it's empty.
So, is this what's been happening to all the players?

I really hope things get resolved before talks of the DX200 would begin or anything like that.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,663 of 6,795
Can DSD be fed through USB in PCM? Perhaps DoP? Kindly enlighten me.

To do that the DX80 would have to convert DSD to PCM internally so it could be output as SPDIF only for you to then convert that PCM again externally. Double conversion would do SQ no favours obviously.

As I said, the best best option would be for iBasso to enable digital output over both USB and SPDIF. Whether this is possible via FW update remains to be seen, but as the DX80 is supposed to be able to act as an external DAC/amp (which would require digital in via USB) then this may be possible.

One for Paul from iBasso to comment on I think.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,664 of 6,795
To do that the DX80 would have to convert DSD to PCM internally so it could be output as SPDIF only for you to then convert that PCM again externally. Double conversion would do SQ no favours obviously.

As I said, the best best option would be for iBasso to enable digital output over both USB and SPDIF. Whether this is possible via FW update remains to be seen, but as the DX80 is supposed to be able to act as an external DAC/amp (which would require digital in via USB) then this may be possible.

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,665 of 6,795

For the bandwidth USB is required for the output of a DSD signal. Using DoP doesn't degrade the signal and is a work around to carry the dsd signal on PCM. We are working on more options for the signals on DX80. The DX80 does output up to 24/196 on the SPDIF. At this time I know of no DAP that outputs a signal on USB but that doesn't mean there isn't a DAP that does this.

For those with continuing problems with their FW here is a link. There are instructions on using this batch tool in a folder. It wipes the DX80 and then will load a FW with no artifacts left on the internal memory of the DX80. It can also be used for the DX90.    http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20151210/201512100333294318.rar

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back