iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #76 of 6,795
I really like the ZX2 and doubt that I would ever get rid of it. The sound is open and airy and I truly enjoy the dap. What I find different about the DX80, is that it is to me, no less a musical quality but it has a different sound. That would seem obvious but to me the DX80 is a more robust and powerful sound. So they are like two different venues, both high quality but with a presentation of the sound that differs. I can listen to either for an extended time though the DX80 is new to me and still burning in. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #77 of 6,795
i ain't selling my ZX2 either, especially not now that i find the gonemad player to elevate it (in my ears at least) to a new musical level and with a nice silver with TRRS cable on the way 
gs1000.gif

however for someone who wants a very good sounding dap at just 350$ , DX80 looks like a winner 

as an upgrade to the dx90 though it is also a no-brainer - imo it has better sound , more storage and is less pricy , all the boxes are ticked here

ps : if zx100 costs 700$ , why shouldn't DX80 be considered a bargain at 350$ ? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #78 of 6,795
I haven't had much time to compare it with the DX90 yet, but what I subjectively can say is yes, the DX80 sounds different (though both have got a metrologically flat FR and low output impedance). To me, the DX80 sounds more analogue and less digital (which is the attribute I have in mind when I think of the DX90). Soundstage is different as well, with more depth.
Which is the better out of the two, SQ-wise? Well, I can't say for myself yet, but imho it is up to one's personal preference and neither is really better nor worse than the other.

However, one thing the DX80 unfortunately hasn't adopted from the DX90 is the noise floor: while it is extremely close to being inaudible on the DX90 and is just a tad louder than my blood's noise and can only be heard with extremely sensitive IEMs in a very quiet environment and with hard concentration (with an "empty" music file), it is clearly more present on the DX80, though still miles below the noise floor of the DX50 I had.
Though I need more testing, I can say that the DX80 has got more hiss than the iPhone 4, but less than the HiFiMe 9018d.
It is not really "much" hiss, but indeed audible with sensitive IEMs.

As you probably know, I am someone who is quite sensitive towards hiss, this is no absolute statement and your mileage may very well vary.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #79 of 6,795
  i ain't selling my ZX2 either, especially not now that i find the gonemad player to elevate it (in my ears at least) to a new musical level and with a nice silver with TRRS cable on the way 
gs1000.gif

however for someone who wants a very good sounding dap at just 350$ , DX80 looks like a winner 

as an upgrade to the dx90 though it is also a no-brainer - imo it has better sound , more storage and is less pricy , all the boxes are ticked here

rolleyes.gif

You guys really got my interest!!!  I'm not familiar with iBasso sound, but can't wait to check it out!!!

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #80 of 6,795
I have just finished some quality listening time with my DX80 acting as the line-out source for my P5. The pairing is absolutely outstanding! The DX80 and P5 are nearly the same length with the DX80 being very slightly narrower. The line-out of the DX80 and input of the P5 are about perfectly aligned. The SQ is, IMO, reference quality with no concessions as to cost of high-end component competition!

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor!

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #82 of 6,795
Nov 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #84 of 6,795
I have just finished some quality listening time with my DX80 acting as the line-out source for my P5. The pairing is absolutely outstanding! The DX80 and P5 are nearly the same length with the DX80 being very slightly narrower. The line-out of the DX80 and input of the P5 are about perfectly aligned. The SQ is, IMO, reference quality with no concessions as to cost of high-end component competition!

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor!

I hadn't tried them together. Listening to a live recording of Simon and Garfunkel (have some personal matters going on with my mother's health) and this is like hearing it live and helpful right now. Thanks for the insight. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #85 of 6,795
I just ordered one and hopefully will here soon. Very interested in hearing its signature. Hadn't tried the dual DAC set-up before. I will offer a comparison with my AK100ii and my AK Jr.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #86 of 6,795
  sound-wise , if we say that ibasso with a 128gbcard costs around 450$

rolleyes.gif

I bought my ZX100 for less than $450, im not really sure why the rest of the world sell it at very high price.
more or less just the same price DX80 + 128gb card = $450 , ZX100 w/build in 128gb = $450.
im also interested with DX80 and Fiio X7, but for sure the X7 will cost more, while the DX80.. well ibasso.. as we all know firmware things
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #87 of 6,795
A friend of mine  traveled over to minidisc.com to demo DX80 today. I think its safe to assume (well I know) he walked out with one his hand. 
wink_face.gif

The sound quality as being mentioned is absolutely great, especially the resolution, clarity and detail.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #89 of 6,795
dx90 haa dozen of bugs and not usable at all. i hope this dx80 fix those issue rather inherits them.

What isn't useable? The DX90? I use one all the time, no issues to speak of so I am not sure where you are getting your information from but if you own one then I suggest you update it and if you are still have problems then maybe it is defective but the UI isn't an issue for me. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #90 of 6,795
@jamato8 I support your comment. I don't have any issue with DX90's UI too.

Anyway may I repeat my question that DX80 support M3U playlist created by PC? If yes I will seriously consider replacing my DX90 with DX80 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back