iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #6,498 of 6,795
I have an issue with multi-value tags. One could consider this a bug, or at least very annoying behaviour.

All my music is in FLAC format tagged with Vorbis comments. I use Foobar2000 for tagging. Particularly for genre, artist and performer I often use multiple values for a tag (using the semi-colon in Foobar2000 to enter multiple values), for example tagging a track with a genre of both "classical" as well as "opera". This works great in Foobar2000 as well as my Squeezeboxes (although to be honest the Squeezebox software does not only support true multi-value tags, but also allows to emulate it by recognising a separator character in essential single-value tags).

My new iBasso DX80 (running fw 1.6.0) appears to concatenate the multiple values for a single tag with a semi-colon as separator.

Problem:

I would expect to find multi-valued tagged tracks under either value. For example, a track tagged with genres "classical" and "opera" should appear in the user interface under the genre "classical" as well as "opera". Not under either "classical; opera", or "opera; classical". Furthermore, the order of the tag values in the concatenation appears random (probably simply determined by the occurrence in the file). So some tracks end up under "classical; opera", others under "opera; classical".

For genres this is problem is still limited somewhat as most of my music has one or two genres and only rarely more. However, for artists and performers this really becomes awful in that for many classical works I simply end up with many permutations of the different sopranas, tenors, basses, choir, orchestra, etc.

I confirmed with Mp3Tag that my tags are actually multi-value tags (showing multiple genre tag "lines") instead of single-value tags using a semi-colon as separator.

Proposed solution (I hope iBasso can pick this up):

The firmware is changed such that a track is listed under each value for a multi-valued tag as described above (track with genre "classical" and "opera" appears under a "classical" entry as well as under an "opera" entry).

Similar issues:

I searched the forums here for similar issues. I only found one for the iBasso DX90 from 2014, see here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/i...bugs-issues-here.715434/page-11#post-10702108 This appears as the same problem. I can imagine the firmware for the DX80 and DX90 share similar code. However, there was no relevant follow-up for this post in the thread and apparently at least the DX80 firmware (1.6.0) still has this issue.

I wonder whether I am the only one experiencing this...

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #6,499 of 6,795
Hello guys, I think got my dx80 become completely silent, there's no sound from HO or LO and I don't have dac for testing it's spdif out I wonder if it's internal amp or something else got burned after overheated last night I rdecharge it but I can hear static noise when pressing button or turning screen on, can anyone help?

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #6,502 of 6,795
Folks, I bought Pioneer XDP-100R DAP! I'm free from iBasso at last. No more faulty software, which is updated once a year (if any). No more Paul's broken promises.
What a relief...

Hmmm, don't mean to bust your bubble but I actually had two Onkyo DP-X1 that had the dreaded broken headphone / output connector issue. It was a design flaw that affected many owners. I do hope you got the latest version as I understand Onkyo / Pioneer fixed the issue by using different connectors in their latest iteration of these DAPs. The latest Onkyo is labeled as DP-X1A. I don't know what Pioneer labeled theirs as. That aside, I have to say I did enjoy using the DP-X1 then.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #6,503 of 6,795
I am using the latest FW with no issues and the sound is excellent. IMO, the best that the DX80 has ever sounded.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #6,505 of 6,795
Do you use playlists? There are many bugs.... :frowning2:
I don't use playlists. I like to listen to an entire album and I tend to pick the music I am in the mood for.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #6,507 of 6,795
Playlist is a must when you have over 10,000 tracks within 800+ albums
I have over that and I don't find it a must. Individual needs and preferences are what caps the use for me.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #6,508 of 6,795
I have over that and I don't find it a must. Individual needs and preferences are what caps the use for me.

It's a must for most people though, same as Gapless ! Agree that the sound is now far better than what we could dream on the DX80....but it still has stupid flaws in the UI that can easily be corrected via a firmware update

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #6,509 of 6,795
It's a must for most people though, same as Gapless ! Agree that the sound is now far better than what we could dream on the DX80....but it still has stupid flaws in the UI that can easily be corrected via a firmware update
You don't have gapless? It is working on mine. Or do you mean you want gapless just as much as playlists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back