iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Aug 25, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5,357 of 6,795
Hey All,

Just bought the DX80 and am lovin' it.  Much better than the Note2 (with Wolfson DAC) I've been using for playback.  Wider stage, more texture and detail, very happy so far.  I upgraded the firmware to 1.5.2, loaded my music on a 200Gb microSD card, and everything works as expected, except that I can only seem to create 9 playlists.  I try to generate more, either by importing from Foobar2000 and editing/changing the path or creating a new playlist, and they just don't show up.  The ones I've created work fine without issue.  If I delete one (now 8 playlists), and I can create just one more than no more!  Anybody heard of this bug before? Any fixes?  I've hard re-booted several time to no avail.  Looking for a little help :)
Thanks

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #5,362 of 6,795
The Lurker produced firmware just strips out some unnecessary background processing that goes on and makes the same experience feel smoother.   I haven't really noticed any sound difference but I'm 47 and my ears possibly aren't as sensitive as they once were.

As the stock firmware has got better (and I mean much better in 1.4 onwards) I'm not sure if there really is a need for other firmware now.  1.5.2 is fantastic with no gripes from me and I can't wait to try 1.5.8 tomorrow.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #5,364 of 6,795

It's unfortunately hardware-related and caused by the used DAC chip when the bitrete changes.

Do you know if other daps using same dac suffer of this same problem?

A pop sound with changing bitrates is relatively normal and some other DAPs and also DAC chips have this, too. However, in some implementations and with some chips, there is no such pop when the bitrate changes. I guess it comes down to how the hardware is implemented.

However, what the DX80 also has is a thumping sound that occasionally appears when pressing play/pause/manually skipping tracks and this is not related to a bitrate change.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5,366 of 6,795
On my device, 1.5.8 has fixed the song sorting issue in the "Directory" tab, but it has introduced a new song sorting bug in the "Album" tab. 

Described here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786815/ibasso-dx80-bug-thread-post-any-firmware-bugs-issues-here/1215#post_12814613

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #5,368 of 6,795
One feature I really wish the dx80 had was a queue list that you could add to on the fly.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #5,369 of 6,795
Hi guys, i just got my ibasso dx80, i have firmware 1.5.8 installed on it, im using always equalizer on other devices so i wanted use eq on ibasso also... im having problem with 16k band, i push it to the 12db up, but after next song the 16k band goes back to 0db, it still showing 12 db but sound is on 0db, i must take the band a little down and than back to 12db so i can hear the difference... sorry for my bad english...

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #5,370 of 6,795
Hi guys, i just got my ibasso dx80, i have firmware 1.5.8 installed on it, im using always equalizer on other devices so i wanted use eq on ibasso also... im having problem with 16k band, i push it to the 12db up, but after next song the 16k band goes back to 0db, it still showing 12 db but sound is on 0db, i must take the band a little down and than back to 12db so i can hear the difference... sorry for my bad english...

Did you factory reset after update? That was happening to me on my dx 50 and I had forgot to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back