iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,861 of 6,795

'LOL' . . .  a lot of people seem to be laughing out loud after their comments ?!? . . . curious :)

(probably a good job this doesn't tend to happen for real in real life!)

off-topic.

There was a time years ago I spent far too long on the internet and began seeing something amusing in real life then saying "lol" rather than laugh!

It could happen to you too Jon Parker. 
wink.gif

SAFLOL

(Slightly Amused Flaccid Laugh Out Loud)  :D

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,862 of 6,795
Anyway, to get back on topic I will explain how I use my DX80.

1) Only use 16/44 FLAC files
2) x1 64GB micro sd card (only one slot used)
3) Browse by directory 'only'
4 No repeat, no shuffle, just play in 'order'

Besides some of my album art not showing (even after some checking on the issue with MP3Tag) I really don't have any major concerns with my DX80 unit. I run 1.1.4 firmware and it doesn't exhibit any major problems. I'm not saying its the same for everyone because obviously we're using the player for different tasks. In my situation, limited file variety its smooth sailing.

Atm I use DX80 with Aurisonics ASG-2 for about a 4-5 days now every night.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,864 of 6,795
Anyway, to get back on topic I will explain how I use my DX80.

1) Only use 16/44 FLAC files
2) x1 64GB micro sd card (only one slot used)
3) Browse by directory 'only'
4 No repeat, no shuffle, just play in 'order'

Besides some of my album art not showing (even after some checking on the issue with MP3Tag) I really don't have any major concerns with my DX80 unit. I run 1.1.4 firmware and it doesn't exhibit any major problems. I'm not saying its the same for everyone because obviously we're using the player for different tasks. In my situation, limited file variety its smooth sailing.

I agree, I have no files greater quality than 16/48.. Everything else is 320k or Flac. So is this player overkill? No.. Because it plays everything I need it to play with perfect ease. In addition, the bands I listen to have never released anything higher quality.. So, it's a safe bet, I will have as much of a "Future-proofed" device as possible for MY needs and budget. In addition, I am looking towards the polishing of the firmware, as it will only get better with time.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,866 of 6,795
Is iBasso dx80 comparable to the rough power output of a Fiio E11k?

I'd want to upgrade from the X1 + E11k combo to an integeated DAP of better quality. I definitely don't want to go down in driving abilities/power from my current setup, as I find it just enough for my K550 (they sound dramtically underpowered, for example, on Fiio X1 direct headphone out).

I'm also evaluating Fiio X5ii, AK Jr and Cayin N5, which is undoubtably a looker.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,867 of 6,795
The Fiio X5ii is (in my opinion) on par with the DX80, feel like both have relatively strong built in amps. Out of the two even though I started with the X5ii, and returned it downgrade to the Fiio X3ii thinking it would be sufficient for my personal needs, sadly, I was wrong.. So I wanted to give the DX80 a shot before I finalized my choice with the X5ii again, as I initially started with. (Sometimes your first choice is the best choice, lol) however, I actually am really liking the DX80. Main thing I can say differentiates the two is the touchscreen and scroll wheel. That is definitely a personal preference. As both are tried and true ways of navigating around the UI's.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,868 of 6,795
Thank you all for the help, I would like to ask if anyone knows the difference of THDs between the DX80 and the x5ii because on the x5ii seems to be slightly different and I am curious to know if the difference is udible

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,869 of 6,795
EQ? Does anyone have any impressions on the EQ of the DX80

I work a lot with EQ in my work and well... the preset shapes just don't sound like how they should according to how they appear o_0

Checking out the custom EQ. I also find it a little strange. I know its not a parametric EQ but still... :)

Maybe the width of each EQ Freq is wide. This would go some way to explaining what Im hearing!?

Due to the high quality of the player and [what I would imagine] would be the high quality of headphone / IEM used,
that the EQ would function be to a lot more accurate. I can't see the HiRes crowd needing to make big changes in EQ?

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,870 of 6,795
  EQ? Does anyone have any impressions on the EQ of the DX80

I work a lot with EQ in my work and well... the preset shapes just don't sound like how they should according to how they appear o_0

Checking out the custom EQ. I also find it a little strange. I know its not a parametric EQ but still... :)

Maybe the width of each EQ Freq is wide. This would go some way to explaining what Im hearing!?

Due to the high quality of the player and [what I would imagine] would be the high quality of headphone / IEM used,
that the EQ would function be to a lot more accurate. I can't see the HiRes crowd needing to make big changes in EQ?

My opinion ans usage, I only have to adjust the EQ a little depending on the genre of music. overall it sounds very good with no EQ. however, sometimes, it's just nice to accent certain frequencies in some songs. Furthermore, because of the power behind the amp, it has a lot of power to have greater effect on each adjustment.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,871 of 6,795
There is my combo:
IBASSO DX80 + IFI MICRO IDSD + Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80Ohms /Beyerdynamic DT801 since 1996/

I have absolutely no problem with playing any music as mp3/flac/aiff/dxd/dsd on Ibasso DX80, firmware 1.1.4.
I don´t use EQ.
I´d like to have better choice for album order , work with long names of songs and and playlist, but for sound quality i have no complains...
I use 32GB Sandisk Extreme Plus SDHC card, I tried 1st and 2nd slot without problems.
I tried DX80 as DAC as well, without problems.
Sound output from DX80 is really nice, but with IFI is better
With IFI MICRO IDSD, it is "killing system", DX80 as player and IFI as output system... :)

I tried DT770 PRO with 80Ohms and 250Ohms as well, my choice is 80Ohms, very similar sound to my old DT801,
250Ohms version has less deep bass then 80 Ohm version, sound is nice as well, but I prefer 80 Ohms version.

I tried X3II as well, I wanted something just as portable player for IFI. X3II as player for IFI is ok, but when I compare sound output X3II and IFI, there is big difference.
And because I didn´t want to bring my Ifi every day to work, I tried to find some portable player /DAC AS well/ with sound output near IFI quality and I chose DX80 and no regret.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,872 of 6,795
  It's still running on FW rev. 1.14 direct from the factory. There is one irritating problem that surfaces once in a while, a sudden millisecond stutter. I believe this random hiccup could be due to the read buffering. I'm using a single 128Gb Lexar LSDMI128BBNL633R card.

Hi Paul, FYI. I've just tried 1pc 128Gb Strontium Nitro (SRN128GTFU1T) formatted to FAT32. It's worse, playback just stopped randomly.

Also, library rescan is not 100%, this issue persists from day 1.

Looking forward to a fix soon.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #1,874 of 6,795
I use the card 128Gb MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 70MB/s STRONTIUM Nitro, SRN128GTFU1C without any problems . FLAC, Hi-Res, DSD, DSD128, DXD 24 / 352.8Khz Oo also plays . To speed up scanning , remove all unnecessary files from the music , scans , etc. I left only folders Artist/Albums, plus each cover in jpg. The scanning speed has increased dramatically !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back