ibasso dx50 or fiio e18
Jun 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gcgrant

New Head-Fier
Hi this is my first post and as you'll likely tell, I'm new to the game. Anyway,I recently picked up some SE215 special editions, and have been running them on my Australian Galaxy S4. Not sure if this has the qualcomm or wolfson dac?? However I have noticed that plugging into the computer or tablet seems to produce better sound. Basically I want to be able to get the best sound out of the SE215s and I am considering either the e18 or the dx50. I understand one is an amp/dac and one is a source, but I would appreciate opinions on which would give me better sound. I would run the e18 off both my S4 and computer (if I chose that one) with variable quality recordings, and would possibly get more headphones in the future.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi this is my first post and as you'll likely tell, I'm new to the game. Anyway,I recently picked up some SE215 special editions, and have been running them on my Australian Galaxy S4. Not sure if this has the Qualcomm or Wolfson DAC?? However I have noticed that plugging into the computer or tablet seems to produce better sound. Basically I want to be able to get the best sound out of the SE215s and I am considering either the E18 or the DX50. I understand one is an amp/DAC and one is a source, but I would appreciate opinions on which would give me better sound. I would run the E18 off both my S4 and computer (if I chose that one) with variable quality recordings, and would possibly get more headphones in the future.

I believe the newer firmware for the FiiO X3 allows it to work as an external DAC/Amp connected to a PC.
Not sure is iBasso offers that feature.
The SE215 SEs are only 20-Ohms, so my $27 FiiO E6 could easily drive them.
So the amplifiers built into the FiiO or iBasso would have way more then enough power for the SE215SEs

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I just picked up an X3 about a month ago and he is correct the new firmware will work as a DAC off a PC and it has more power than any IEM would need. Take a look at the thread, you can find them for around $150 on sale.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Awesome thanks guys. Any idea whether they would be OTG campatible to be a DAC for Android now or into the future? Although I'm guessing there would be minimal need to do such a thing, but I like gadets. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Btw I just loaded some hires flacs (Grateful Dead AUD recordings from archive.org) onto my S4 through poweramp and the sound is amazing. Definitely think I need to upgrade my music collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back