iBasso DX50 MODS
Jul 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #241 of 378
Hi guys,

I have got some Panasonic FC caps for the HO and I'm wondering what is the best way to remove the old ones and solder the new ones. How are you doing this? What is the best way to desolder the old ones? Are you using desoldering braid or pump? There's little space to work so I'm afraid I will burn something.

Thanx in advance.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #242 of 378
Look for tutorials on Youtube how to solder/desolder tiny things on PCB. My advice is to use ~1mm soldering wick. If You don`t care about original caps anymore, just cut them off to make desoldering little easier. Wick helps easily to remove all tin from holes and it is easy to place new caps in (check polarity!) to solder them.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #243 of 378
Hi again,

I decided to go with the POSCAP caps for the HO decoupling caps. I've seen a Babs post where he put two POSCAPS together and I'm wondering why. Shouldn't I get four of those caps and replace the four electrolytic ones? I'm confused.

And should I get the 6.3v ones or 10v?

Thanx in advance

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #244 of 378
Please read the thread carefully, all the info You need is there.
...two POSCAPS together and I'm wondering why.

That`s because there are 2x 220uF 10V capacitors in parallel for both channels. He just connected them together and put into place of 1 cap of one channel which equals same as soldering them separately into 2 caps locations for one channel. He did same with the other channel.
And should I get the 6.3v ones or 10v?

That`s up to You. You can use both because HO amps work in lower voltage than stock 10V caps. I chose to stay within stock specifications. This is the place where You can do Your own research and get caps according to Your "requirements" by size/soldering and specification-wise. But remember that specs aren`t always everything that matters. It is recommended to make Your own tests to find match with Your gear and taste. We here can only point out top choices that one should try out, there is no such thing as "the best sounding" cap.

If You are beginner in hardware modding and soldering then I suggest You to think and read carefully. If You think You are not up to do it, let someone else with knowledge and skill to do it.
We here are not responsible for the mistakes You might do that might make Your DAP unusable.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #245 of 378
First I want to thank everyone in this forum (special thanx to CoiL) for their help.

Now, another question. So far I have succesfully desoldered the HO caps. After removing the solder from these caps there's a little hole. I wonder whether I will have to remove the whole PCB to solder the caps from the other side or if only one side is OK. Thank you again for your help.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #246 of 378
One side is also ok but for best result it is always recommended to have "free" PCB. Though in case of DX50 the removal is kind of tricky because of buttons on sides, they can break easily if not treated with care.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #248 of 378
Don`t forget to share impressions about LO/HO with poscaps :wink:  

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #249 of 378
Finally got time to install POSCAP`s...

Quote:
HO decoupling cap - # 10TPE220MIL (7343 case)
The original HO decoupling capacitor is a standard 220uF 10V tantalum in a 7343 case

DAC differential amp decoupling cap - # 6TPE100MI (7343 case) or # 6TPE100MPB (3528 case)
I ordered both and trying to fit larger with better specs.
The original DAC differential opamp decoupling capacitor is a standard 100uF 6.3V tantalum in a 3528 case

DAC analog power supply decoupling caps - # 6TPE100MI (7343 case) or # 6TPE100MPB (3528 case)
The original DAC analog power supply decoupling caps are standard 100uF 6.3V tantalum in a 3528 case

+
HO coupling capacitors - Panasonic FC 220uF 10V
LO capacitors - Panasonic FC 100uF 10V

+
Yinjw Wood "IE800" (2014 open-back version) > WOM-mod

=

I think I have now jumped over my desktop system SQ with this setup!
blink.gif
Insanely good sound!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I haven`t installed new HO opamps yet and I don`t know if I will bother with it...

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #250 of 378
Originally Posted by CoiL 

HO decoupling cap - # 10TPE220MIL (7343 case)
The original HO decoupling capacitor is a standard 220uF 10V tantalum in a 7343 case

DAC differential amp decoupling cap - # 6TPE100MI (7343 case) or # 6TPE100MPB (3528 case)
The original DAC differential opamp decoupling capacitor is a standard 100uF 6.3V tantalum in a 3528 case

DAC analog power supply decoupling caps - # 6TPE100MI (7343 case) or # 6TPE100MPB (3528 case)
The original DAC analog power supply decoupling caps are standard 100uF 6.3V tantalum in a 3528 case

so you managed to get the large caps in.....well done. Was there any extra soldering considerations in fitting these?

Great job Coil.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #251 of 378
Yes. Because I have only basic tools for soldering (wick + medium size soldering iron), then I had to use wire connections to fit and solder them.
But I think that even with correct tools it would be very hard to fit them. I just cut off positive side pins from old caps and "bent" the other side till it broke, leaving quite good soldering points for wires. Here`s a pic:

Edit: NB! Do NOT leave cap pins open like on pic, cover them with isolating material before putting enclosure together!

HO decoupling cap was easy to solder on old cap pins, anyone could do it easily with basic tools imo. Sorry, don`t bother to take DX50 apart again to take a pic of that.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #252 of 378
Hi Coil

Good shared info, great.

Have decided to solder in 6TPE100MPB (3528 case) rather than the 6TPE100MI (7343 case) the main difference being 25mΩ vs 18mΩ, after some reading I concluded that there will be no apparent difference in audio quality between the two (but hey, you can sleep soundly in the possibility that your DX-50 might sound better than mine)

Did also consider the AVX 22μF ±20% 6.3 V dc SMD Niobium Capacitor, as Babs used at the beginning of this thread, but wanted to go with the PANAMOD you so suitably named this MOD.

HO decoupling cap - # 10TPE220MIL (7343 case) is still in the post!

Gonna resist the impulse purchase of the DX-80 when it arrives with all my strength, though it does look great so far with what news there is of it!

Long live the DX-50

Cheers

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #253 of 378
Well, DX80 would be actually nice to come out fast... reason - DX50 prices will drop, especially aftermarket. Used DX50 + HW modifications (cheap) = BIG bang for a buck!
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #255 of 378
First try out some babs recommendations! Don`t start to invent bicycle again
rolleyes.gif

I`m probably going to try out ADA4897-1ARZ sometime in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back