iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
May 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #5,776 of 14,567
That would hardly be a fair comparison. Different classes, one is almost three times the price of the other. That can't be for nothing, sound-wise.

Why not? I haven't heard the sp2000 personally, but I am all for comparing devices based on their sonic quality regardless of prices, especially once we start talking about $1000+ devices. I sympathize with the "three times the prices, of course they should sound three times better" sentiment, but we should not be bounded by brand's marketing gimmicks and pricing, believing they are fair representations of sonic quality. I suggest you audition expensive DAPs before buying them if you can, no matter twice or three times the prices (or less).

May 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #5,777 of 14,567
Why not? I haven't heard the sp2000 personally, but I am all for comparing devices based on their sonic quality regardless of prices, especially once we start talking about $1000+ devices. I sympathize with the "three times the prices, of course they should sound three times better" sentiment, but we should not be bounded by brand's marketing gimmicks and pricing, believing they are fair representations of sonic quality. I suggest you audition expensive DAPs before buying them if you can, no matter twice or three times the prices (or less).
You got a fair point, but you're reading a bit too much into what I'm saying. I never said "costs x times as much, therefore should sound x times better", but prices aren't gimmicks, they do reflect (at least to some extent) quality of design, materials and implementation. Otherwise, it's plain robbery. I'd never say, "don't compare x with y", as we all write in a free forum. It's just that, in my book (I'm being clear about this) if you can afford to buy something that costs about $4000, even if DX300 at $1200 punches above its weight and gains are marginal rather than linear, if you are a sonic purist, you do just that and screw the lack of linearity. Other than that, I agree.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #5,778 of 14,567
Lots of what folks sometimes take for granted is very expensive, R&D, tooling, and infrastructure to support expensive products and provide proportionate customer service. Being first in the market is also expensive, as the followers don't have to make big investments in proof of concept.

There is also the matter of diminishing returns, and the added costs of adding specific functionality (often by licensing 3rd part tech).

Most important is the flavor/voicing/presentation of a device or iem, headphone.. whatever. I do not like mustard-hate it. So, for me, there is no good, bad, better or worse mustard. When they tell me they only put a little in the potato salad, and that I won't be able to taste it, I call B.S.! This can be far more important than any so-called 'objective' determinant of quality.

So, yes - compare across price-ranges. Alas, the best stuff is almost always the most expensive, or at least in the most expensive tier - unless it's mustard, then it just plain sucks! LOL

May 2, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5,779 of 14,567
That would hardly be a fair comparison. Different classes, one is almost three times the price of the other. That can't be for nothing, sound-wise.
I had both the SP2000 and DX300 at the same time and sold the SP2000, because DX300 paired better with my HPs than SP2000. SP2000 has good sound if it is paired with a low impedance high sensitivity IEM, otherwise its amplifier is too weak for todays starndards. Also the software is a bit problematic and takes long time to get fixed by A&K. DX300 has been so far really stable. If I don't like the native player, I can simple load the Neutron Player or UAPP, which SP2000 cannot. Also DX300 system is much faster than SP2000. Oh, and DX300 lighter than SP2000.

It is all about pairing and preferences.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #5,780 of 14,567

I have way too many DAPs, because I’m basically an idiot. I have both the dx300 and the SP2000. I personally find the SP2000 just a touch more musical (sorry, not skilled enough like the masters here to break things down more), but I’d be happy with just the dx300 if we base things just on sound.

I’m big on streaming. Both can do it, but the SP2000 is Roon Ready, which is like crack for Roon users. So, that puts it ahead of the dx300 more than just sound for me.

So, I think once you get into the higher tiers of DAPs, there is more to it than just the sound, as the gains you get for more money are not linear.

May 2, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #5,781 of 14,567
I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when I heard impressions of amp11 mk2 module. I do understand, mk2 changes were not intentional because iBasso had to update the design due to shortage of some components, but I thought the change would be subtle. Turned out to be more noticeable. Only have about an hour out of the box, so it could change, but so far I hear treble to have more air/sparkle which improves the perception of soundstage width and layering/separation of the sounds, literally more air between the layers of the sound. As a result, the sound is a little more revealing, more transparent, more reference (in analytical sense) vs the original amp11 being a little warmer due to smoother treble and a little more coloring of the mids. I will keep it on burn in for a few days and update my impressions if I hear a bigger change. But so far, I actually prefer amp11 mk2.

ibasso_amp11_mk2-01.jpgibasso_amp11_mk2-02.jpg

May 3, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5,782 of 14,567
Another vote in the Amp11mkII camp... wow.

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when I heard impressions of amp11 mk2 module. I do understand, mk2 changes were not intentional because iBasso had to update the design due to shortage of some components, but I thought the change would be subtle. Turned out to be more noticeable. Only have about an hour out of the box, so it could change, but so far I hear treble to have more air/sparkle which improves the perception of soundstage width and layering/separation of the sounds, literally more air between the layers of the sound. As a result, the sound is a little more revealing, more transparent, more reference (in analytical sense) vs the original amp11 being a little warmer due to smoother treble and a little more coloring of the mids. I will keep it on burn in for a few days and update my impressions if I hear a bigger change. But so far, I actually prefer amp11 mk2.

Good, i am not crazy....or we are all crazy...

A0DA89F6-69DF-432D-B7FE-01FD8DDABDB2.jpeg

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #5,783 of 14,567
Got my unit few days ago from Moon Audio (with amp11 mk2). Loving it. I have a question though:

- since the screen is pretty large (which is awesome!), and I have small hands, is it possible to use gestures instead of the navigation buttons? They had that in M8. Pretty sure it could be done since it has a much more modern OS and SoC.
- if there is no such feature, can we please request it in a future firmware update?

Thanks.

May 3, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #5,785 of 14,567
How different is the amp11 mk2? I imagine ordering from from the UK is highly likely to include the older card. Is there anyway to know other than taking the card out?

There is a sticker on the box (the outer one - so you can see it without unsealing it) that says Amp11 mk2. You can ask whoever you are buying from before purchasing. They can just look at the box and tell you.

May 3, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #5,786 of 14,567
How different is the amp11 mk2? I imagine ordering from from the UK is highly likely to include the older card. Is there anyway to know other than taking the card out?
I bought mine from Advanced MP3players in the UK and it came with MK2. And as @Adnan Firoze suggests, ask the seller.
Nick

May 3, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #5,787 of 14,567
Btw, you don't have to order from the UK, even if you are based in the UK. I ordered from Hifigo, currently it is around £150 cheaper than Advanced MP3 Players, with free delivery. It takes a bit longer to arrive (ca. 10 days), but they've got MKII only now. I'm not taking commission from, or have any other affiliation with, Hifigo :ksc75smile:. But, frankly, I get fed up watching UK shops selling electronics at the same nominal price in GBP as others in USD (and, by that, I don't mean Hifigo which is based in China, closer to manufacturing sites) and pocketing the difference. At the end of the day, US outlets also pay shipping costs and customs duties, same as UK ones, I think.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #5,788 of 14,567
Btw, you don't have to order from the UK, even if you are based in the UK. I ordered from Hifigo, currently it is around £150 cheaper than Advanced MP3 Players, with free delivery. It takes a bit longer to arrive (ca. 10 days), but they've got MKII only now. I'm not taking commission from, or have any other affiliation with, Hifigo :ksc75smile:. But, frankly, I get fed up watching UK shops selling electronics at the same nominal price in GBP as others in USD (and, by that, I don't mean Hifigo which is based in China, closer to manufacturing sites) and pocketing the difference. At the end of the day, US outlets also pay shipping costs and customs duties, same as UK ones, I think.
Yeah there are others as well like Tecobuy and Ultraonlineuk. I did actually talk to Advanced MP3 players and they said that they wanted to retail at a lower price but iBasso won't let them. I found as well - at the time - if you put the player in the shopping basket and then on the shopping basket page go to leave, you get a popup with a 10% discount offer, which I used.

An alternative in the UK is npaudio.uk who dispatch from the UK and are priced in between AMP3 and the Chinese sellers, but AFAIK aren't an official distributor but do their own local repairs. I used them for a repair on a DX220 and was very pleased with the service.

I did consider getting a Chinese-sent DX300 but if there's a problem you have to send it back to them with the additional cost and delays, and you can't just pick up the phone to speak to them, so I paid a bit more for the peace of mind.

Nick

May 3, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #5,789 of 14,567
Yeah there are others as well like Tecobuy and Ultraonlineuk. I did actually talk to Advanced MP3 players and they said that they wanted to retail at a lower price but iBasso won't let them. I found as well - at the time - if you put the player in the shopping basket and then on the shopping basket page go to leave, you get a popup with a 10% discount offer, which I used.

An alternative in the UK is npaudio.uk who dispatch from the UK and are priced in between AMP3 and the Chinese sellers, but AFAIK aren't an official distributor but do their own local repairs. I used them for a repair on a DX220 and was very pleased with the service.

I did consider getting a Chinese-sent DX300 but if there's a problem you have to send it back to them with the additional cost and delays, and you can't just pick up the phone to speak to them, so I paid a bit more for the peace of mind.

Nick
Makes sense what you say about a possible need to return. Re. contact, Hifigo's team are quick to respond to emails and friendly (although, tbh, I've not had a problem yet with a device that required a more "substantial" conversation with them). Advanced MP3 Players have good customer service (I bought several stuff off from them, incl. my DK-4001 iems which were faulty and they replaced them for me, and our whole transaction was very professional). Still, that price issue irks me enough to go beyond UK suppliers and suffer the delay. Re. shipping cost for return, Hifigo apparently split it 50-50 with the buyer (not ideal, but their pricing remains competitive even so), but they then ship your item back free of charge. Anyway, I guess there are pros and cons, but I just wanted to raise this issue (which I've seen in the UK with other manufacturers of electronics from overseas, not just IBasso).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back