iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #4,051 of 14,590
He got back to me very quickly- I will be sending my unit back to the retailer.

I am, at any rate, disappointed by the apparent lack of quality control.

A chip gone faulty is one thing but a defective volume wheel/power on button is another matter entirely.

I also had a Hiby R6 2020 last month that suffered from continuous rebooting even after many a factory reset- I think I am done with Chinese DAPs.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #4,052 of 14,590
My SP2000 left for a new home today leaving the DX300 behind. I, of course, do not claim anything over the impeccable tuning of SP2000 but DX300 with NOS + over-sampled files was just a better match in dynamics and power for Solitaire P. Besides, i can still install any Android software and EQ on DX300 which gives me space for fine tuning for the sound I like. So, couldn't justify keeping the SP2000 as someone that does not use IEMs. I still have my HA200 which outperforms any DAP and most of the desktop DAC/amps in the market, so I am still fully covered.

I also decided to remove the BX2+ completely out of the equation, as after both device and brain burn-in I am more accustomed the sound directly from DX300. Besides, though it opens up the sound in dynamics, I am still in many ways limited by the amplifier of the DX300 - and currently I am in peace with the reality of the limitations of a portable device - and that is Solitaire P pairing. With D9200 it is a far better pairing.

I did some comparison with HA200 on some well textured bassy pieces like this one, and I think I might still have some room for EQ tweaking. I guess I will grab that Oriolus EQ box.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #4,053 of 14,590
I received mine today. I'm glad I followed this thread and chose this over other DAPs. To think I almost sold my Angie's.. This is an enchanting pairing straight out of the box.

Don't know what you think of your Tinhifi T4, but initially I was disappointed with it.
Since the DX300 arrived, the T4 has been getting a lot of serious listening time.
Not sure that if I was hit with serious brain burn timing, but DX300 and T4 sounds wonderful together.
Listening through 4.4mm. It had a really restrained sound initially, but it's really opened up now. Nice sound stage is really good for it's design.
I get an even nicer imaging effect when I attach my Oriolus Vaccum amp together with the DX300.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #4,055 of 14,590
Hi!
Does anyone know where I can buy display protection for DX300.
Or which smartphone has the same size?
Best,
Dietmar from Germany
I’d also like to know. Bonus points for those that have the “EZ fit” or “alignment frame” that you put on the phone/DAP to help poor misguided souls like myself with proper no-air-bubble alignment for the screen protector :).

For, I have offended the DX300’s gorgeous screen by having those stupid little air-bubbles giving her beauty confidence issues😞

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,056 of 14,590
Hi!
Does anyone know where I can buy display protection for DX300.
Or which smartphone has the same size?
Best,
Dietmar from Germany

Unfortunately I haven't seen any available yet. I normally buy the Brotect matte display protectors over eBay or Amazon, as normal shiny ones get dirty easily with finger prints. I don't know how well the smart phone films would fit, as DX300 has very round corners.

I guess I will do again what I did before: Buy an iPad 12 matte film and cut out one (or two or three) using the original black display film as template.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,058 of 14,590
My SP2000 left for a new home today leaving the DX300 behind. I, of course, do not claim anything over the impeccable tuning of SP2000 but DX300 with NOS + over-sampled files was just a better match in dynamics and power for Solitaire P. Besides, i can still install any Android software and EQ on DX300 which gives me space for fine tuning for the sound I like. So, couldn't justify keeping the SP2000 as someone that does not use IEMs. I still have my HA200 which outperforms any DAP and most of the desktop DAC/amps in the market, so I am still fully covered.

I also decided to remove the BX2+ completely out of the equation, as after both device and brain burn-in I am more accustomed the sound directly from DX300. Besides, though it opens up the sound in dynamics, I am still in many ways limited by the amplifier of the DX300 - and currently I am in peace with the reality of the limitations of a portable device - and that is Solitaire P pairing. With D9200 it is a far better pairing.

I did some comparison with HA200 on some well textured bassy pieces like this one, and I think I might still have some room for EQ tweaking. I guess I will grab that Oriolus EQ box.

The phrase “oversampling” is being misused a lot here. What you are referring to in these instances is up-sampling when through external software or hardware you are artificially increasing the sample rate of a music file. Oversampling is a function that all Delta Sigma Dacs perform and/or the FPGAs that control them. All the filters on the DX300 are oversampling filters with the obvious exception of the NOS, which stands for “Non-Over Sampling” and presumably bypasses the oversampling stage in the conversion process. Upsampling and oversampling are totally different functions and have nothing to do with each other. Just thought I’d clear that up.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,059 of 14,590
The phrase “oversampling” is being misused a lot here. What you are referring to in these instances is up-sampling when through external software or hardware you are artificially increasing the sample rate of a music file. Oversampling is a function that all Delta Sigma Dacs perform and/or the FPGAs that control them. All the filters on the DX300 are oversampling filters with the obvious exception of the NOS, which stands for “Non-Over Sampling” and presumably bypasses the oversampling stage in the conversion process. Upsampling and oversampling are totally different functions and have nothing to do with each other. Just thought I’d clear that up.

"The term oversampling is also used to denote a process used in the reconstruction phase of digital-to-analog conversion, in which an intermediate high sampling rate is used between the digital input and the analogue output. Here, digital interpolation is used to add additional samples between recorded samples, thereby converting the data to a higher sample rate, a form of upsampling. When the resulting higher-rate samples are converted to analog, a less complex and less expensive analog reconstruction filter is required. Essentially, this is a way to shift some of the complexity of reconstruction from analog to the digital domain. Oversampling in the ADC can achieve some of the same benefits as using a higher sample rate at the DAC."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

The software I am using does not simply add / repeat same sample value to increase the rate, but it does interpolation, which is the same process that takes in the DAC.

I don't know the algorithms they use but as I understand the DS DACs does it in 2X in multiple steps (3 times to reach 8X), but better algorithms can do the 8X interpolation in a single steps. So the process is better named as interpolation (and placing the interpolated result between the original samples - thus increasing the rate).

But in the end it is the same oversampling process that takes place in the DAC or at the FPGA - it is just done in the software this time. So it is oversampling.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4,061 of 14,590
Just to complete the discussion: Two DAC manufacturers. One uses the over-sampling for interpolation filters, other one using it for DS modulator. So the terminology is more foggy than it looks. You can find pages and pages of discussions about what is the correct one.

1613421687117.png

1613421726717.png

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #4,062 of 14,590
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #4,063 of 14,590
My in-depth full written review about DX300 is live now my boiiis :)

I tried to bring the news a bit quicker, so I will be posting my video review a bit later too, but for now I did my best to explore both the intrinsic usage and the overall sound of DX300 :)

Comparisons with many competitors, and pairings in the full written review!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/02/refined-masterpiece-ibasso-dx300-music-player.html

I tried to bring the news a bit quicker, so I will be posting my video review a bit later too, but for now I did my best to explore both the intrinsic usage and the overall sound of DX300 :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/02/refined-masterpiece-ibasso-dx300-music-player.html

I look forward to digging into is shortly!

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,064 of 14,590

iBasso-DX300-DAP-Music-Player-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Tidal-MQA-Android-Mango-21.jpg

So between the M15 and the DX300, the DX300 is not head and shoulders above the M15? From what I read, I'm seeing one of the usual 6 of one, half dozen of the other kinds of comparisons. You throw some advantages to the M15, and others to the DX300.

I was kind of thinking that the DX300 should be significantly better, since it is about a year newer.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #4,065 of 14,590

Cayin C9 unleashed the full potential of DX300 and Sony IER-Z1R. It preserved the neutral, balanced and a bit laid back sound signature of DX300, but brought the control, power and imaging to the next level.

@lumdicks @Whitigir or anyone who has this combo

What is your opinion on this stack (dx300 to C9) with IER-Z1r compare to dx300 to Hugo2 with IER-Z1r?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back