iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,596 of 14,567
About that...
I've been looking at a lot of the back and forth between the MAX and 300 "advocates" (can someone really advocate for something they don't have yet?). I think a lot of us are looking at this all wrong. As a former owner of the MAX (and soon-to-be owner of the 300), I have some nagging questions about the MAX and its position in iBasso's line-up:

1. Why is it the "220 Max" if it is a so-called flagship?
2. Why go for the middle ground of "Transportable" vs Portable or Desktop?
3. Why the odd power charging configuration?
4. Why the odd battery configuration (really? five batteries?)
5. Why such a limited number of units for a "Flagship"?

Bear with me here; I too thought it strange that the 300 was announced so shortly after the MAX and that it had some, but not all of the MAX's features (i.e. multiple batteries but not Dsd512). But then it hit me; (please understand this strictly IMHO...I have no confirmation), what if the 220Max is a "Technology Demonstrator"?

Think about it; for years (most) DAP companies slowly (ha!) evolve their products with better components and technology as it comes along. FiiO, HiBy, and even iBasso try to offer products that perform better than the previous ones, but it is usually incremental "evolving" improvements. That works mostly, but there are many users that are getting tired of the XXX -> XXX Pro -> XXX Limited -> XXY...ad infinitum! What if (and again, this is an observation and an opinion) iBasso said, lets take the best current platform we have (DX220) and add on every cutting edge or innovative audio technology feature we can come up with? It may have to break some molds, but we (iBasso engineers) want the best possible architecture we can design within a "affordable" price range? How do we do it and how do we get feedback from the Audio listening public? Then we can take the best features and technology and adapt it into our line of DAPs, leaping the generational evolution barrier.

So, take the basic DX220, add all the bells and whistles you can think of, and put it in as small a chassis as they could. Some compromises had to be made to accommodate the innovations (no swappable amps) and I think the power supply was a bit over-engineered on purpose, all to get the best sound possible out of what is a cutting-edge "transportable" music player. And 999 use-cases gives iBasso engineers plenty of feedback on what's working and what could be improved. Max owners have a right to be proud. The MAX is an awesome and rare piece of technology. Although it is Flagship-Level, I wouldn't consider it iBasso's flagship DAP. However, take heart in knowing that the DAPs coming down the line from iBasso (including whatever they deem a Flagship), will contain the DNA of the 220Max. I truly don't believe that, in some way or another, the 300 or its follow-ons would be possible without the MAX.

So, the 300 doesn't have all the top-end features of the MAX (no 512, smaller, but still separate batteries), but it will be the start of an even better line of iBasso DAPs, and in more obtainable quantities. So the 300 owners can feel fortunate, and the MAX owners can be proud!

All the above is strictly IMHO and a personal observation. The truth may be different.

Cheers and All the Best to All of You!:beerchug:
-HK sends

1611428637422.png

MAX is a DX220 with a better amplifier. Full stop. It is the same DX220 board plus an amplifier. It is a good implementation for sure but this is the whole story behind. Dual battery is not a new thing, DTR1 applied it earlier, for example. And it is not properly implemented. You may accept it or not, there is nothing "cutting edge, technological break-through" about MAX. DX300 and MAX were being developed in parallel, I am sure. And DX300 must have started before MAX, as there is much more new stuff there.

So, please let's not get emotional. There is nothing to be proud of for owning a product. If you like it, good for you. That is my last post about the MAX subject.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,597 of 14,567
Hmmm R6 2020 has dual 9038Q2M not CS43198 :wink:

Yeah I am considering R6 2020 as a mid tier DAP for my reviews :p and so that I have an ESS DAC powered DAP :p
My bad—I thought they both had the CS DACs—confusing my new DAP releases!

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,598 of 14,567
There is nothing to be proud of for owning a product.

LMAO...that measure of self-worth is what explains about 99% of the conflict in hobbyist communities (not just head-fi, or audio...all hobbyists are varying levels of insane, hahahaha). Whatever...I'll never stop finding it funny when hobbysist are mad online about someone besmirching their beloved brands.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,599 of 14,567
1611428637422.png

MAX is a DX220 with a better amplifier. Full stop. It is the same DX220 board plus an amplifier. It is a good implementation for sure but this is the whole story behind. Dual battery is not a new thing, DTR1 applied it earlier, for example. And it is not properly implemented. You may accept it or not, there is nothing "cutting edge, technological break-through" about MAX. DX300 and MAX were being developed in parallel, I am sure. And DX300 must have started before MAX, as there is much more new stuff there.

So, please let's not get emotional. There is nothing to be proud of for owning a product. If you like it, good for you. That is my last post about the MAX subject.
And five batteries...and a chassis that could be used to take down intruders if you threw it at them! I'm not being emotional at all, and I respect your opinion. I freely admit that my opinion is only an opinion and could be wrong. I only used your post as a jumping off point, not to drag you back in (my apologies for that). It was just something rattling around in the spaces between my ears for a while.

Frankly, I am looking forward to the DX300!
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,601 of 14,567
About that...
I've been looking at a lot of the back and forth between the MAX and 300 "advocates" (can someone really advocate for something they don't have yet?). I think a lot of us are looking at this all wrong. As a former owner of the MAX (and soon-to-be owner of the 300), I have some nagging questions about the MAX and its position in iBasso's line-up:

1. Why is it the "220 Max" if it is a so-called flagship?
2. Why go for the middle ground of "Transportable" vs Portable or Desktop?
3. Why the odd power charging configuration?
4. Why the odd battery configuration (really? five batteries?)
5. Why such a limited number of units for a "Flagship"?

Bear with me here; I too thought it strange that the 300 was announced so shortly after the MAX and that it had some, but not all of the MAX's features (i.e. multiple batteries but not Dsd512). But then it hit me; (please understand this strictly IMHO...I have no confirmation), what if the 220Max is a "Technology Demonstrator"?

Firstly, great points. But I think the questions quoted has a one word (two if you put a space) answer - Hugo2.

I had the dx220 w/ amp8 and so forth and loved it and I feel like the dx300 will lean more towards the dx160 lineage - which kind of puts me off since when I had to make a choice I chose to go with the Hugo2 instead of the MAX.

And now, I am faced with the dilemma - M8 or dx300. I don't want another Hugo2, rather I want a more interesting weightier/warmer DAP like the WM1Z. Soooo ... still contemplating.

PS. I don't care about watching TV shows on DAPs cause although I find it cool to think about, I won't really do it irl. The only qualm I have about M8 (and dx300 pulls ahead here) is in the Android version (and software in general). I fear, maybe the day is not far when Tidal and Qobuz pulls out of the ancient Android 7.1.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2,602 of 14,567
At over 250 hours now. I didn't listen much yesterday. I notice that the sound has opened up a little more and was already excellent but now more 3D on more recordings with a very black background. With the conditioning of the batteries getting excellent battery life. Unlike many, my digital battery goes down faster than the amp battery and not using the screen a lot but still near 15 hours, if I let it run just on the batteries. So, considering everything, a long run time for the quality of sound, at this level of play. Also notice the timbre is really nice. Piano has a very nice play on the notes as the hammer hits the strings with good body and flow to the notes, if that makes sense.

No question the layering and 3D even on a lot of 16/44 recordings has really stepped up. The openers and space I hear in a good hall with live sound. Not closed in or murky between instruments and singers. Listening to some John Mayall 70th Birthday Concert. Very enjoyable.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,603 of 14,567
Unlike many, my digital battery goes down faster than the amp battery and not using the screen a lot but still near 15 hours, if I let it run just on the batteries.

Like you digital drains faster than amp and that's even when I run high gain at 40/45 volume with the Elysium... now I am streaming 85% of the times so there is that...

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,604 of 14,567
I have a quick survey for all DX300 / DX220 / DX160 / DX220 MAX owners please!

• What's your favorite Digital Filter setting?
  • Your favorite Gain setting for IEMs?
  • Your most commonly used non-music player app?
  • Is there a music player app you prefer instead of Mango Player?
  • Do you use Mango OS instead of Android?

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #2,606 of 14,567
Did i miss something? I havent seen any decent comparison about any other daps yet. Apart from some brief impressions, but theyre not much info.

I thinl it will soon start coming out.

R8 and se200 are my biggest curiousity.
The DX300 has just come out. How can you compare something that so few have and really, few have it even burned in and I can tell from listening, it does change as it burns in and this is using a couple of other daps for reference for the sound changes, not just what I think I am hearing.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #2,608 of 14,567
Aahhh. Walked past my dx300 parcel 6 times already in last 2hrs. Havent even got a minute to open it. Not even touch the box... Who said having kids is a joy lol
I have 6 y.o. twins. It's all about priorities... and this thread doesn't help me not getting my first "modern" dap...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,609 of 14,567
Absolutely agree! So many times I start to watch a movie or a show on my phone before going to sleep and 5min into it get interrupted by email or txt or messenger. Here the size is just perfect for watching a movie, it's bigger than my aging Galaxy phone and smaller than a bulkier tablet. Plus, DX300 is relatively lightweight for such a big device, so it is perfect as both audio player and media player.
I think it's time we create a new category of device, starting with the DX300: Digital Media Player (DMP). Not that any of the other flagships can't do what the DX300 does, but a true DMP is really about screen size as much as it is audio chops.

As an aside, I'm sure you'll be comparing the DX300 with the R8 in your upcoming review. Look forward to that. A few too many superlatives flying around here (which makes sense given its the DX300 thread), so I'm waiting for a level-headed comparison between the two to better understand their relative strengths.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,610 of 14,567
I have been a hardcore "no-EQ" person until a few months ago. Once I left that religion, I am happier with being able to tweak the sound to my liking. It is not "bit-perfect" but sounds better for my liking. :)
Still have this kind behavior in my surroundings.
in the end I am glad that you make peace, especially with ur self, and enjoy...

I remember well when having DX220 OTB, the sound was muddy, and getting better after burn in (the first time I believe it, I was a non Burn in believer...) but in time, if it make a difference and towards what I like, why don't I do it...

The sad part for me, I alrd lean on DX300 then my stack... and is not yet full burn in (50 hours), so i need to store my stack.. heheeh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back