iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #5,401 of 14,592
Well, 1200 bucks you should at least have an OLED display like many mid Teri smartphones do. šŸ˜›

My point was less is more. I don't want to have an attention span of 30 secs anymore and all that stuff I've cut down on. If I watch a movie I leave my phone in another room so I'm undisturbed for 2 hrs. I don't have any notifications on and leave my smartphone across the bedroom charging when in bed but I do have some DAPs by my bedside for late night listening. I'm less anxious and not as easily bored this way. Also with my head fi mantra now less active, more listening. That's all, I'm sure dx300 is everything it's cracked up to be for those who love it. It's just not my cup of tea. I don't see any benefits of having a DAC that can do everything a smartphone can and the social proof that goes with that.
This is a fair point. There is the flip-side of course. Perhaps equally valid. I don't own a smart phone (have a very old Nokia). I am not into phoning or texting (unless I absolutely have to) and can stand to be away from social media, e.g. when doing other enjoyable things, like listening to music, reading or watching a movie, same as you. However, I was looking for something with the functionalities of a tablet for travel/transport, where I can get emails, Messenger service, surf the web (e.g. for booking things), etc., but with faster UI and, at the same time, hires audio (which no smart phone or tablet has). Yes, DX300 does not offer telephony services, but offers the rest, so for users like me it's the best of both worlds, at the moment.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,402 of 14,592
Yes, DX300 does not offer telephony services, but offers the rest, so for users like me it's the best of both worlds, at the moment.
It depends some DAC/Headphone Amps dongles connected to an iPhone that just streams or plays your music files at the correct sampling rates (unlike Andriod) could be close, worse or better than the Dx300. I'm talking anywhere from the $150 and up range that uses XMOS. This is however subjective and I'm sure there are limits but since the dx300 is huge I doubt it isn't as uncomfortable to carry an extra dongle or external dac with your smartphone if so you chose to.

Ibasso should have just made it a phone with a SIM card for both 5G and to make phone calls, take pics and just taken on that market directly on. Audiophiles as far as on this thread are equally interested in using it for other uses like videos and movies so it would have made since IMHO. Iā€™m not in that market and donā€™t care about those things. However, I can see why they would accommodate those consumer demands in 2021 especially when their dap cost 1,200.

I bought an older dap that runs on Android and simply do not like it. Itā€™s not that sounded ā€œworseā€ because itā€™s on android. I just felt that streaming which I donā€™t use is ploy to get user data for adverts, mining, etc and that by default it doesnā€™t allow you to play your own files at the correct sampling rates. In fairness to Ibasso they do offer a workaround which does bypass Android with MangoOS and the FGPA plays a huge role which is cool.

These are just my opinions, no fanboy should take these things to heart. Ibasso is a name that has earned the trust and respect of the audiophile community. They also have an array of products including excellent dongles so it depends what your interests are and budget is...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #5,404 of 14,592
20210414_135018.jpg

This Headphone is so gorgeous...
Never I met so beautiful thing like this.. all finishing to the small detail is oustanding....

20210414_135010.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #5,405 of 14,592
Ironically, your questions are linked with UAPP in this video. Android by default doesn't allow for exact sampling rate but thanks for minor (useless) correction from Hz to Khz.
What questions? I don't have any questions.

FPGA is a field programming chip that allows for the pure music that bypasses and isn't affected by android default settings so the DAC internals can play the files without android. So, I'm assuming MangoOS runs on Linux or it's coding language??! However anything you stream will go on your dx300 will go through the 48 khz default regardless but UAPP does allow for you to switch it the 44 khz. It's a pact (I suppose Google made with the Record Companies??)
FPGA is a programmable gate array chip that you program via VHDL or Verilog , then it does what you want it to do. If you want it to add 2 and 2, it does that. If you program it do DSP, it does that. If you place it between a camera and controller and program it to manipulate video data, it does that. If you program it to support jitter correction, it does that. If you program it to act as a device to be controlled as, for example, a USB device connected to an internal USB bus, it does that. If you program it to act like a SPI master or slave it does that.

When I check the ALSA information:

DX300:/ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [sdm660sndcardi2]: sdm660-snd-card - sdm660-snd-card-i2s
sdm660-snd-card-i2s

Before starting playing on Mango application:

DX300:/ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status
closed

After I start playback on Mango:

state: RUNNING
owner_pid : 3212
trigger_time: 29618.818513646
tstamp : 29627.003569112
delay : 3840
avail : 0
avail_max : 1920
-----
hw_ptr : 362880
appl_ptr : 366720

Checking the HW parameters while playing 44 kHz audio:

DX300:/ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 1920
buffer_size: 3840

Checking the HW parameters while playing 352 kHz audio:

channels: 4
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 15360
buffer_size: 30720

...meaning there is no bypassing of ALSA, and the sample rate setting has been done by the audio subsystem. This can be confirmed also by checking a 3rd party application, such as Qobuz:

Checking the HW parameters while playing 96 kHz audio using Qobuz application:

rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 3840
buffer_size: 7680

What do we have here?

- The resampling has been by-passed at the software level, but without bypassing the kernel, _before_ the data reaches the FPGA.
- This is most probably done by manipulating the Android audio subsystem, because it also works for 3rd party applications.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #5,406 of 14,592
What questions? I don't have any questions.

FPGA is a programmable gate array chip that you program via VHDL or Verilog , then it does what you want it to do. If you want it to add 2 and 2, it does that. If you program it do DSP, it does that. If you place it between a camera and controller and program it to manipulate video data, it does that. If you program it to support jitter correction, it does that. If you program it to act as a device to be controlled as, for example, a USB device connected to an internal USB bus, it does that. If you program it to act like a SPI master or slave it does that.

When I check the ALSA information:

DX300:/ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [sdm660sndcardi2]: sdm660-snd-card - sdm660-snd-card-i2s
sdm660-snd-card-i2s

Before starting playing on Mango application:

closed

After I start playback on Mango:

state: RUNNING
owner_pid : 3212
trigger_time: 29618.818513646
tstamp : 29627.003569112
delay : 3840
avail : 0
avail_max : 1920
-----
hw_ptr : 362880
appl_ptr : 366720

Checking the HW parameters while playing 44 kHz audio:

rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 1920
buffer_size: 3840

Checking the HW parameters while playing 352 kHz audio:

channels: 4
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 15360
buffer_size: 30720

...meaning there is no bypassing of ALSA, and the sample rate setting has been done by the audio subsystem. This can be confirmed also by checking a 3rd party application, such as Qobuz:

What do we have here?

- The resampling has been by-passed at the software level, but without bypassing the kernel, _before_ the data reaches the FPGA.
- This is most probably done by manipulating the Android audio subsystem.
nice, have you installed a terminal on DX300 and typed everything there or managed to read that connected to your Mac/PC?
I also did install a terminal app before but quite fiddly with typing :)

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #5,407 of 14,592
nice, have you installed a terminal on DX300 and typed everything there or managed to read that connected to your Mac/PC?
I also did install a terminal app before but quite fiddly with typing :)
I did it with Android debugger (adb). I have to say, I am not an Android or audio developer, but this is the information I could gather with my limited knowledge on that part. But still, I think it should be a good enough proof - as long as iBasso does not tell us a very different scenario.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #5,408 of 14,592
Erh. Yes.

Sorry everyone, but I don't even use the DX300 without the C9 (and I'm quite shocked @Whitigir , who has a C9, likes the AMP 11 MK2 so much that he's fine using the DX300 alone without his C9).

I planned on using the DX3000 alone with my IEMs at least that when I bought it (IEMs are 21 ohm and 119 dB @ 1mW - but the C9 is so much better that I have to do this nowadays):

I should also say that my UAPP impression has me wondering whether:

1. My ears are broken.
2. Tidal MQA is a scam.
3. DX300 status bar display, UAPP display, AND the UAPP developer are all wrong and actually UAPP does support the unfold.
IME, the most important thing from the DAP I look for is textures and tonal balances, the signatures can be warmth or neutral, bright, donā€™t matter. When I look for external amplifier, it would be the cleanliness, the imagings, cues of positioning, dynamic delivery

At this point, I am satisfied with Amp11 MKII for on the move with Z1R and EX1K. The C9 is mostly with my HD800s all the time :)

What excites me is the proof that Dx300 with a dedicated Line Out can be even more wonderful toward C9 as the MKI changes to MKII is already significant, let alone a 4 in 1 like the C9. I can not wait for the dedicated LO module

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,409 of 14,592
At this point, I am satisfied with Amp11 MKII for on the move with Z1R and EX1K. The C9 is mostly with my HD800s all the time :)
Haha.

It might be a question of synergy or something. I only regularly use Utopia and Zeus XR - both are much much better with a C9 in the chain.

What excites me is the proof that Dx300 with a dedicated Line Out can be even more wonderful toward C9 as the MKI changes to MKII is already significant, let alone a 4 in 1 like the C9. I can not wait for the dedicated LO module

ABSOLUTELY YES.

I cannot wait!!!

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #5,410 of 14,592
Haha.

It might be a question of synergy or something. I only regularly use Utopia and Zeus XR - both are much much better with a C9 in the chain.

ABSOLUTELY YES.

I cannot wait!!!
Yes, the C9 improves everything, literally even EX1K and Z1R....however, it is a Pita to carry around with LoL!!

Of course I try to use C9 and 800S each and every time though

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,412 of 14,592
These are just my opinions, no fanboy should take these things to heart.

Bye, you should know that the rest of your post is entirely wrong.
Sure if you are judging me based on your product ā€œpicsā€ worth $6,000 budget.

96 kHz is a multiple of 48.

48 x 2 = 96/2 = 48

Android takes over while streaming.

Running your ā€œtestsā€ proves nothing since it must measure the output stages not the ā€œkernalā€ Moreover, the kernel is programmable so sure they by-passed the default settings of Android which I mention, fanatical fanboys!

The third party apps are Android who has a licensing agreement with record labels unless you are running third party apps not bought on Google Play and are cracked The actual source files/materials are controlled by the Record labels. Regardless itā€™s being resampled upsampled/downsampled once you go back online if itā€™s cracked! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #5,413 of 14,592
Sure if you are judging me based on your product ā€œpicsā€ worth $6,000 budget.

96 kHz is a multiple of 48.

48 x 2 = 96/2 = 48

Android takes over while streaming.

Running your ā€œtestsā€ proves nothing since it must measure the output stages not the ā€œkernalā€

...as if I cannot play a 44.1 or 88.2 kHz file on Qobuz.

1618415877038.png

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #5,414 of 14,592
...as if I cannot play a 44.1 or 88.2 kHz file on Qobuz.
Because itā€™s online try it offline and you will get 48 or 96! This was mentioned in the video you didnā€™t watch by Darkko.

also try your own files not theirs see what you get on third party apps like USB run those test NOT on MangoOS!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #5,415 of 14,592
Because itā€™s online try it offline and you will get 48 or 96! This was mentioned in the video you didnā€™t watch by Darkko.

also try your own files not theirs see what you get on third party apps like USB run those test NOT MangoOS!
Sorry, you don't have the smallest idea of what you are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back