iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 6, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #4,666 of 14,577
Yeah, I'd imagine Covid-19's been equally if not more disruptive to the portable audio hobby with fewer people commuting.

Hmm true!

Maybe offset by more time to listen to full size headphones?

Although what I'm now tempted to do is to buy better speakers.. Just that the price/performance there is very doubtful...

I only have good things to say about the Apple Watch aside from perhaps the limited number of watch faces. Battery life is shocking when used as a standalone phone replacement, but paired with an iphone easily lasts me the day. First time I made a phone call on it felt every bit as Dick Tracy as I hoped it would.

Well.

Let's say they did have a classic-look chronograph or calender complication - would you actually use it?

My fav (real) watches are now time only because even though it's really purely jewelry I kinda still want the time to be set right, I never wear any my (only) calendar watch...

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #4,667 of 14,577
All these side conversations...mqa, watches etc - lead me to believe many are happy with their iBasso DX300 (apart from the first batch of cases, a couple of people with charging issues with early units - or just simply preferring another daps styling or tonality).

I am also enjoying it myself, though the last week or so i have been catching up on tv and movies as i had a few days free. Soon back to the music.

as for watches i have a couple, modern, old, pocket watches handed down...

Heres one of mine. (Picture is by the seller).
Frankenstein - Omega 1920s pocket watch, engraved both sides and put into a wristwatch case.

5532BE81-463F-453B-BE9E-5C4FF212B2CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #4,668 of 14,577
I'm very amused at the reference to rolex as being "well built" as a watch.

Nothing wrong with rolex but it's in the same category as the Apple Watch - it's built for use and not artistry.

Look into the "big 4" (patek, AP, vc, lange) - heck even some aspects of Grand Seiko (most obvious is dial furniture) for a watches' watch. This isn't even considering the top independents (e.g. Philippe Dufour).

Anyway, back to the topic, I've demoed (a demo) M8. It's painfully slow and hence basically unusable for tidal. Same for SP2K. There are tuning differences but nothing serious.

Of course, consider a hiby R8 or R6 2020 too.

I guess you can consider the M8 if you're just listening to local files.

For better sound, just add a cayin C9 and the result is clearly superior (certainly vs M8 alone or SP2k alone).
I use tidal everyday in the M8 and SP2000, you must tried defective units

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #4,669 of 14,577
I'm very amused at the reference to rolex as being "well built" as a watch.

Nothing wrong with rolex but it's in the same category as the Apple Watch - it's built for use and not artistry.

Look into the "big 4" (patek, AP, vc, lange) - heck even some aspects of Grand Seiko (most obvious is dial furniture) for a watches' watch. This isn't even considering the top independents (e.g. Philippe Dufour).

Anyway, back to the topic, I've demoed (a demo) M8. It's painfully slow and hence basically unusable for tidal. Same for SP2K. There are tuning differences but nothing serious.

Of course, consider a hiby R8 or R6 2020 too.

I guess you can consider the M8 if you're just listening to local files.

For better sound, just add a cayin C9 and the result is clearly superior (certainly vs M8 alone or SP2k alone).
Why only local files on the M8 and SP2K, not sure I understand your reference? Apple watch the same as Rolex ..okay

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #4,671 of 14,577
Why only local files on the M8 and SP2K, not sure I understand your reference?

Maybe read the whole post?
Apple watch the same as Rolex ..okay
Didn't say that...

If your reviews are of the same quality as your reading comprehension maybe I should not get into this..

:smiling_imp:

There will be allways people that think that way... Is like Fiat equal to Bentley.... Both are for traveling from a point to another... There are very strange statements

I haven't sat in a Bentley which by any objective measure was worse than a Fiat... But yes if your test is "can it travel from point A to B" then they're equally capable of that?

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #4,673 of 14,577
Maybe read the whole post?

Didn't say that...

If your reviews are of the same quality as your reading comprehension maybe I should not get into this..

:smiling_imp:

I haven't sat in a Bentley which by any objective measure was worse than a Fiat... But yes if your test is "can it travel from point A to B" then they're equally capable of that?
Xand...it is not important to me at all if you read my posts or my reviews :smiling_imp:. I fully fund my review site, so I gain nothing by you being there.

I read the whole post, and I still didn't understand the reference, because I don't have issues with streaming on either device, thus I am not sure where your comment came from, except that you demo'ed a demo unit. Common sense might connect those dots.

If you have followed this thread, you will see that I have given props to the DX300 for it's speed, and yes the two DAPs you mentioned are not as fast, even on my non-demo unit. Also, I did have lag issues on the M8 at first install, as requested by the manufacturer, I did a factory reset and re-installed and Voila, no lag, except normal processor speed as compared to the DX300.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4,676 of 14,577
Let’s be honest, the dx300 SOC is as fast as R8. They are both 660 lol

@subguy812 That's ^ my point...

Because of the chip, I expected it to be faster than certain elements of the competition, and happily based on the demo it is.

It's not uniformly as fast as my 12 pro, because it does sometimes bog down, but it's usually as fast.

The M8 was painfully slow in comparison.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #4,677 of 14,577
What? ....i did not said that you have defective earing, I said defective units...... LOL

Sorry if there's a misunderstanding - I just mean you must be fine with what I regard as painful slowness.

Nothing wrong with that? I have not bought a DAP for years and years because the experience was so awful.

I doubt the M8 I tried was defective - the demo was in a very popular shop and would certainly have been noticed. I actually asked if it was this slow generally and they said "yes"...

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #4,679 of 14,577
@subguy812 That's ^ my point...

Because of the chip, I expected it to be faster than certain elements of the competition, and happily based on the demo it is.

It's not uniformly as fast as my 12 pro, because it does sometimes bog down, but it's usually as fast.

The M8 was painfully slow in comparison.
I attempt to give credit where credit is due and I have always given the DX300 it's props for speed. However, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the subjectivity of painfully slow on the M8. It is slower overall and that does count against it, but there are many other factors when buying a DAP, IMO. I wasn't jumping for joy when I sold the DX300, it just didn't check my most important boxes.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4,680 of 14,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back