iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #13,637 of 14,593
A question for you guys. Has anyone switched from Dx300 to M17? Is it a SQ step up? I have a good deal possible on the M17 but will have to resell my Dx300. Just wondering. Thanks !
It all depends upon what you value in sound. After comparing a little while back, I would say that in certain areas, yes, the DX300 is a step up. the M17 has more power but the added headroom wasn't needed for what I was listening with.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #13,638 of 14,593
A question for you guys. Has anyone switched from Dx300 to M17? Is it a SQ step up? I have a good deal possible on the M17 but will have to resell my Dx300. Just wondering. Thanks !
Neither is a step up or down.
Both are at the top of the food chain and they present a different point of view in music listening.
The hobby is subjective and the question is what is that you are seeking from your audio journey.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #13,639 of 14,593
It all depends upon what you value in sound. After comparing a little while back, I would say that in certain areas, yes, the DX300 is a step up. the M17 has more power but the added headroom wasn't needed for what I was listening with.
Having seen this as true, I would also mention (for my part) that there isn't a need for more power at this plateau in DAPs. The DX300 (with the Amp12 card) pushes 600ohms @93dB/mW very well. I don't find them to be driven any better from something with 8W, is my point.

Power notwithstanding, it would come down to the whether one likes the signature better or not on one or the other. This part I cannot answer because I have not personally heard the M17. I would also argue that if you want a true answer, you will need to audition it for yourself, or the person that DOES have both be using the same head gear that you have (for synergy purposes). .

Sep 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #13,640 of 14,593
I'm considering the DX300 as my next dap upgrade. I only run daps these days, primarily for the convenience factor. I've had two previous daps with two of the same dac chips the 300 is using. Liked them both, though I know dac chips are only part of the overall sound presentation connection.
My current dap is the Shanling M6 Pro, AKM version. I very much like it, but I've got the upgrade itch. I'm considering a used DX300, new Shanling M6 Ultra, and the Hiby RS6.
I don't stream, or really use any of the Android options. I play local files, and sound quality is what I care about.
My preference is low bass that travels a little North of neutral. Fast, agile, and tactile is important. I'm not a bass head. Definitely a little warmth, but nothing overly warm. I primarily listen to rock and metal, and drum kits really need to shine and pop. Vocals and guitars are equally important. They can be pushed slightly forward, but not overly so. High mids and low treble are my bugaboo. I prefer neutrality in this area. Just can't handle any excessive brightness, ringing, shouting, or extra heat. I do prefer a slightly extended upper treble that adds some sparkle, without sounding artificial. I need note weight, and some meat on the bones. Nothing thin or overly dry.
I've grown to appreciate the general AKM velvet like house sound. I'll be keeping my M6 Pro, so something a little different is in order, so long as it doesn't completely deviate from my preferences.
Everything I've read makes this device sound promising, and it should be a step up in terms of detail and resolution. I really don't have time to read 900 pages - not sure many do. What have been the niggles and hang ups with this device? Every dap has them, but again, SD card files only. One thing I really like about my Shanling is that I can do the firmware updates over the air while connected to wifi. Does the DX300 offer the same, or do we have to unzip, unpack, and all that fun stuff? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #13,641 of 14,593
Everything I've read makes this device sound promising, and it should be a step up in terms of detail and resolution. I really don't have time to read 900 pages - not sure many do. What have been the niggles and hang ups with this device? Every dap has them, but again, SD card files only. One thing I really like about my Shanling is that I can do the firmware updates over the air while connected to wifi. Does the DX300 offer the same, or do we have to unzip, unpack, and all that fun stuff? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
At this point there aren't many niggles with this device. There are a couple things that people have complained about (missing) from Mango OS and Mango android, but those are just players and you can use anything that works on android (Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, FiiO).

The DX300 has a fairly neutral presentation, that changes a bit with different amp cards. So, really you can get the sound you are looking for just by changing the amp card, and then there are the amp card mods to take it further. It may be just me, but I would buy the DX300 all over again.

If/when you get it, please share your impressions here?! :)

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #13,642 of 14,593
At this point there aren't many niggles with this device. There are a couple things that people have complained about (missing) from Mango OS and Mango android, but those are just players and you can use anything that works on android (Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, FiiO).

The DX300 has a fairly neutral presentation, that changes a bit with different amp cards. So, really you can get the sound you are looking for just by changing the amp card, and then there are the amp card mods to take it further. It may be just me, but I would buy the DX300 all over again.

If/when you get it, please share your impressions here?! :)
One hundred percent. :) And, in response to @Mhog55 asking about OTA updates and whether unzipping was required, I recall that was all handled seamlessly (auto unzipped and installed). At least up through firmware 1.05.343 which is where I stopped updating, not having the amp13.

Sep 11, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #13,643 of 14,593
One hundred percent. :) And, in response to @Mhog55 asking about OTA updates and whether unzipping was required, I recall that was all handled seamlessly (auto unzipped and installed). At least up through firmware 1.05.343 which is where I stopped updating, not having the amp13.
Oh, I forgot to answer that one also.

You are correct. Actually, you can do either. OTA updates are done seamlessly, but you CAN download whatever FW you want (in zip format) and install it like it was an update. So, it is a REALLY easy process to upgrade/downgrade your FW to whatever version you want.

If you do OTA, you don't need to do anything except click "ok" to upgrade. If you decide to use a different FW (downgrading for instance), you WILL have to unzip the download on the root of either your internal memory or SD card, point the "update" app to the file you want to use, and click OK...

Sep 11, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #13,644 of 14,593
I've grown to appreciate the general AKM velvet like house sound. I'll be keeping my M6 Pro, so something a little different is in order, so long as it doesn't completely deviate from my preferences.
Also, as a "for instance" I have a set of earbuds that are very inefficient, and high impedance (600ohms @92dB/mW) and the DX300 will push them very well. Though they sound even better from the Amp12 card with more power.

Keep in mind before deciding to pull the trigger though, that Shanling "house" tuning is more musical, where iBasso aims for more reference or neutral. As for myself, I prfer this because then I can tune the sound how I like just by switching to other head gear. My point is that with this type of tuning, it synergizes with a larger quantity of head gear than something that is warm, or bright, or etc...

Also, and to my ears, the upper mids are NOT boosted with the DX300. I am super sensitive to this area, and it would hurt my ears with any sort of volume if it were. IMO the stock tuning is very close to what you described (I look for similar qualities in DAPs).

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #13,645 of 14,593
Everything I've read makes this device sound promising, and it should be a step up in terms of detail and resolution. I really don't have time to read 900 pages - not sure many do. What have been the niggles and hang ups with this device?
I feel this unit is very polished in software at this late stage. Because of the dx300 choice of it's 4 chip topology, it can use Neutron at maximum overclock PSM to DSD settings, where as with the dx320 still has some compatibility issues with Neutron as of Aug, (although I haven’t checked last Neutron update).
That's why I held onto both of them, and finally after 3mo with these two units (300 & 320), I finally letting go my dx300 + amp11EX, (to look for an HD800S or 8XX).
👍
This dx300 with custom amp really is the way to go.
Then wait a year for next one to be polished, lol but no need when you can upgrade amp modules.
👍

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #13,646 of 14,593
I feel this unit is very polished in software at this late stage. Because of the dx300 choice of it's 4 chip topology, it can use Neutron at maximum overclock PSM to DSD settings, where as with the dx320 still has some compatibility issues with Neutron as of Aug, (although I haven’t checked last Neutron update).
That's why I held onto both of them, and finally after 3mo with these two units (300 & 320), I finally letting go my dx300 + amp11EX, (to look for an HD800S or 8XX).
👍
Unfortunately, unless you root your DX300, the kernel of the OS is the limiting factor for PCM to DSD256 in Neutron. It works just fine as long as the screen is on, but as soon as you turn it off, or let it time-out to off, there are major stutters in play here. But yes, it DOES work (and sounds great too). PCM to DSD128 works great though, unless you are inputting something (equal to and) over 24/192, and then it does the same stutter with screen off as it does with PCM to DSD256 unfortunately.

Good luck with your hunt for some Senny's! :wink:

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #13,647 of 14,593
Also, as a "for instance" I have a set of earbuds that are very inefficient, and high impedance (600ohms @92dB/mW) and the DX300 will push them very well. Though they sound even better from the Amp12 card with more power.

Keep in mind before deciding to pull the trigger though, that Shanling "house" tuning is more musical, where iBasso aims for more reference or neutral. As for myself, I prfer this because then I can tune the sound how I like just by switching to other head gear. My point is that with this type of tuning, it synergizes with a larger quantity of head gear than something that is warm, or bright, or etc...

Also, and to my ears, the upper mids are NOT boosted with the DX300. I am super sensitive to this area, and it would hurt my ears with any sort of volume if it were. IMO the stock tuning is very close to what you described (I look for similar qualities in DAPs).
Happy to hear that the upper mids aren't invasive or troublesome. I would start with the stock amp card. Thank you for letting me know about the firmware updates.
Shanling house sound is indeed very musical. What I really want is an evident upgrade, that combines "musical" with that extra polished character - better technicality. I'm not after something that will throw overwhelming details in my face, but I want to hear everything that the song has to offer. I'm hoping that this device doesn't border on being analytical, or that it doesn't sound overly dry. Definitely not my cup of tea. Just want something that is very engaging.
One thing I forgot to ask, especially being that it's not quite as musical as my Shanling - Just how bad do poorly recorded material sound? Unfortunately, I have more than a handful of rare 80s hair metal and hard rock. It's quite obvious that these bands did not have the money to pay for quality recording. Appreciate all of your help 👍

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #13,648 of 14,593
There is still a certain musicality and sweetness to the sound of the dx300. Even the reference amp12ex i use. I would not call it overly analytical at all. But it def shines in the technicals too. That deal for the 311ex is great and that modded amp card is quite musical. A rare find in the wild. I would consider that as a great entry to the dx300. Then you can get the amp12 card later if you want a more reference sound. (And the you will get it modded too because it just sounds so damn good haha)

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #13,649 of 14,593
There is still a certain musicality and sweetness to the sound of the dx300. Even the reference amp12ex i use. I would not call it overly analytical at all. But it def shines in the technicals too. That deal for the 311ex is great and that modded amp card is quite musical. A rare find in the wild. I would consider that as a great entry to the dx300. Then you can get the amp12 card later if you want a more reference sound. (And the you will get it modded too because it just sounds so damn good haha)
That amp11ex was one of a kind

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #13,650 of 14,593
Happy to hear that the upper mids aren't invasive or troublesome. I would start with the stock amp card. Thank you for letting me know about the firmware updates.
Shanling house sound is indeed very musical. What I really want is an evident upgrade, that combines "musical" with that extra polished character - better technicality. I'm not after something that will throw overwhelming details in my face, but I want to hear everything that the song has to offer. I'm hoping that this device doesn't border on being analytical, or that it doesn't sound overly dry. Definitely not my cup of tea. Just want something that is very engaging.
One thing I forgot to ask, especially being that it's not quite as musical as my Shanling - Just how bad do poorly recorded material sound? Unfortunately, I have more than a handful of rare 80s hair metal and hard rock. It's quite obvious that these bands did not have the money to pay for quality recording. Appreciate all of your help 👍
I agree with this statement. It is not as musical as Shangling tuning, but it isn't as analytical as something like A&K (in your face) tuning. Nor is it as treble heavy or digital sounding as FiiO tuning. It is pretty smooth, but with clarity at the same time (you won't want for details). The Amp12 card (stock) has less quantity of bass, but tightens it up, and the staging is bigger. Amp13 adds the tube sound where everything is just so smooth, but clear and detailed. Amp11.2 is sort of in between the two (comparatively speaking).

I find that poor recordings sound fine from the DX300. A lot of my (28K) collection is stuff from the 80's also. This will also come down to the head gear that you use, but I find them to sound good on most of my head gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back