iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #12,046 of 14,577
I like the in ear Planars and great for the price but they don't have the realism of the IT07. No real depth or separation so for me they are a nice complement to the IT07 but would never replace them. I find the IT07 more faithful to the recording but the planar are very good, especially for the money. I am running them balanced.
I agree with you on many points. The IT07 are slightly more detailed and have better holography. Also the bass is tighter, more layered and goes deep. BUT these differences are 1. small, 2. they become almost unimportant when i plug the Timeless. What the Timeless has is a great and a very naural detail, slightly more realistic timbre, especially with pianos, drums, hi hats and even with bass instruments. It also has bit better tuning overall, being brighter and very revieling but still somehow less fatiguing for me at least. It also does better job with reverbs, where the IT07 with its balance armatures is maybe more layered with microdetails but the decay of the notes is too short and less realistic. The Timeless is able to create a very engaging and atmospheric sound where the music plays the main role, even tho the amount of details is outstanding and very clearly displayed.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #12,047 of 14,577
I agree with you on many points. The IT07 are slightly more detailed and have better holography. Also the bass is tighter, more layered and goes deep. BUT these differences are 1. small, 2. they become almost unimportant when i plug the Timeless. What the Timeless has is a great and a very naural detail, slightly more realistic timbre, especially with pianos, drums, hi hats and even with bass instruments. It also has bit better tuning overall, being brighter and very revieling but still somehow less fatiguing for me at least. It also does better job with reverbs, where the IT07 with its balance armatures is maybe more layered with microdetails but the decay of the notes is too short and less realistic. The Timeless is able to create a very engaging and atmospheric sound where the music plays the main role, even tho the amount of details is outstanding and very clearly displayed.
The Timeless presents more of a wall of sound vs a venue that has better acoustics, that allows you to hear where instruments are and how everything plays out. Two different venues. I was at a wonderful live performance in a wood church once and I really wanted to focus on the lead violin. During intermission I moved up front and in front of the lead and still, after they started playing, had no focus on where it was. So we have different things we enjoy in music. I find the timbre of the IT07 to be fine. I also enjoy the Timeless as well but for other reasons but ultimately find the IT07 to be more realistic, for what I like and enjoy in music but listen to both of them, though not at the same time. lol

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #12,048 of 14,577
The Timeless presents more of a wall of sound vs a venue that has better acoustics, that allows you to hear where instruments are and how everything plays out. Two different venues. I was at a wonderful live performance in a wood church once and I really wanted to focus on the lead violin. During intermission I moved up front and in front of the lead and still, after they started playing, had no focus on where it was. So we have different things we enjoy in music. I find the timbre of the IT07 to be fine. I also enjoy the Timeless as well but for other reasons but ultimately find the IT07 to be more realistic, for what I like and enjoy in music but listen to both of them, though not at the same time. lol
Thats the Timeless charm, i still agree with everything you wrote:)

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #12,049 of 14,577
Does anyone know if the dx300 can be used just as a source? Is that possible?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #12,050 of 14,577
Of course. You can connect to any DAC by USB and use it as a source. I have done sometimes with my RME ADI-2 DAC.

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #12,051 of 14,577
Of course. You can connect to any DAC by USB and use it as a source. I have done sometimes with my RME ADI-2 DAC.
Ok good to know. I figured you could I just didn't know 100%. I was thinking of getting a streamer in the future but I can hold out and just use the dx300 for now. Thx for the help.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #12,052 of 14,577
Whats great about them is the fact that they do THINGS completely effortless. Seems like its nothing for them, no special effects, no artificial bass boost, no treble boost. Its just so natural in presentation that its hard to find the words. And the dx300 gives them so much juice- they sing!
OH, these are definitely bass boosted my friend. In fact the IT07 are also bass boosted. If you want a good neutral reference, listen to the OG P1 planars.

Having said that, I find the bass ok on the Timeless. The problem I have had with them stems in my ortho DD experience. They are indeed better than a lot of DD IEMs, but if you compare to a really good ortho, you will hear that that Timeless has a boosted (non linear) mid-bass hump, and the texture is not as good (the CCA CRA, though even more bass boosted, have a much more linear bass frequency range). Yes, they are faster and more textured than a typical DD, but again, in comparison to a great ortho, they aren't as good. A great ortho can have boosted bass while remaining super fast and textured at the same time (something DD makers have striven for for years :)).

The mids aren't buttery smooth and in-line with the rest of the frequency like other good planars are (ie, they are recessed). Using the type of driver that is supposed to be this capable, they should have show-cased the mids (not meaning to overcook the upper mids like the Chinese like to do for illusionary clarity). The treble is a bit of the same. With great orthos, you can have such wonderful separation and clarity, but I find there to be a bit of grainy(ness) to them, and not quite as airy and revealing as they could be. Once again, it is better than a typical DD, but it isn't up to snuff where planar is concerned. Take a listen to the P1, and while they may not be tuned to everyone's liking, you can hear the quality of the ortho DD in all frequencies.

Having said all of this:
  1. I find them an excellent compliment to the IT07 as @jamato8 said.
  2. With the bit of EQing from the Timeless thread I posted a bit earlier, they are improved so much, that I put them higher on the notch against the IT07.
  3. Also, remember that I am making comparison to what I KNOW orthos CAN sound like (regardless of tuning). The issues with the Timeless are a combination of (what I believe to be) a cheaper driver, mixed with a bit of off tuning that exacerbate the issues with the driver itself.
I really do love the Timeless, and think they are fantastic, but they aren't end game for planar IEMs for me. I am still on the lookout (maybe the P1 Max will do it for me?!)..... :)

I HAVE tried listening to the Timeless out of a phone and a couple lesser DAPs, and the DX300 11.2 and 12 really do bring out the best in these IEMs for sure. I would not fault anyone if they WERE indeed their end game planar IEMs.
I like the in ear Planars and great for the price but they don't have the realism of the IT07. No real depth or separation so for me they are a nice complement to the IT07 but would never replace them. I find the IT07 more faithful to the recording but the planar are very good, especially for the money. I am running them balanced.
+1

I will keep my Timeless though, much like the CCA CRA, they ARE a very fun listen... :)
I have tried all the above. Two 35w type c chargers two Sseperate cables and power and play for 30 seconds or more. Tried all buttons together, power + vol up and vol down. Nothing worked. I already shipped it out anyhow. Sucks I know but it is what it is....now we just wait and hope for the best.
Dude! That totally sux! I have yet to send mine in for the play/pause button not working (broken off in the body of the DAP) from the same time you sent yours in the first time. I figured I would wait until all of the COVID related shipping issues settle out a bit, because I was basically told that it would more than likely have to be shipped back to China from email response.

Now, I have a secondary issue with my Amp11.2. The 2.5mm jack has broken loose on the board, and moves around when plugged in, and when moved a certain way, sound cuts out. I may have a look at it and see can I solder it myself, but If I am sending the unit back, I may just hold off until then. :) It DOES soldier on though...

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #12,053 of 14,577
To use the Dx300 as a dac/Amp for your PC:
Connect to your computer, you can use the USB port.

To use only as a dac:
Use the 4.4mmBAL port in Line-out mode to feed another amplifier.

If you want to use the device as only a memory device holding the songs on its microSD card:
You use the co-axial/spdif port near the USB-charging area to feed into another DAC.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #12,054 of 14,577

To use only as a dac:

If you want to use the device as only a memory device holding the songs on its microSD card:
You use the co-axial/spdif port near the USB-charging area to feed into another DAC.

I know all this, then i half forget, get confused and second guess myself.

Screenshotted the post and made a photo album for future reference

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #12,055 of 14,577
OH, these are definitely bass boosted my friend. In fact the IT07 are also bass boosted. If you want a good neutral reference, listen to the OG P1 planars.

Having said that, I find the bass ok on the Timeless. The problem I have had with them stems in my ortho DD experience. They are indeed better than a lot of DD IEMs, but if you compare to a really good ortho, you will hear that that Timeless has a boosted (non linear) mid-bass hump, and the texture is not as good (the CCA CRA, though even more bass boosted, have a much more linear bass frequency range). Yes, they are faster and more textured than a typical DD, but again, in comparison to a great ortho, they aren't as good. A great ortho can have boosted bass while remaining super fast and textured at the same time (something DD makers have striven for for years :)).

The mids aren't buttery smooth and in-line with the rest of the frequency like other good planars are (ie, they are recessed). Using the type of driver that is supposed to be this capable, they should have show-cased the mids (not meaning to overcook the upper mids like the Chinese like to do for illusionary clarity). The treble is a bit of the same. With great orthos, you can have such wonderful separation and clarity, but I find there to be a bit of grainy(ness) to them, and not quite as airy and revealing as they could be. Once again, it is better than a typical DD, but it isn't up to snuff where planar is concerned. Take a listen to the P1, and while they may not be tuned to everyone's liking, you can hear the quality of the ortho DD in all frequencies.

Having said all of this:
  2. With the bit of EQing from the Timeless thread I posted a bit earlier, they are improved so much, that I put them higher on the notch against the IT07.
  3. Also, remember that I am making comparison to what I KNOW orthos CAN sound like (regardless of tuning). The issues with the Timeless are a combination of (what I believe to be) a cheaper driver, mixed with a bit of off tuning that exacerbate the issues with the driver itself.
I really do love the Timeless, and think they are fantastic, but they aren't end game for planar IEMs for me. I am still on the lookout (maybe the P1 Max will do it for me?!)..... :)

I HAVE tried listening to the Timeless out of a phone and a couple lesser DAPs, and the DX300 11.2 and 12 really do bring out the best in these IEMs for sure. I would not fault anyone if they WERE indeed their end game planar IEMs.

+1

I will keep my Timeless though, much like the CCA CRA, they ARE a very fun listen... :)

Dude! That totally sux! I have yet to send mine in for the play/pause button not working (broken off in the body of the DAP) from the same time you sent yours in the first time. I figured I would wait until all of the COVID related shipping issues settle out a bit, because I was basically told that it would more than likely have to be shipped back to China from email response.

Now, I have a secondary issue with my Amp11.2. The 2.5mm jack has broken loose on the board, and moves around when plugged in, and when moved a certain way, sound cuts out. I may have a look at it and see can I solder it myself, but If I am sending the unit back, I may just hold off until then. :) It DOES soldier on though...
If your 2.5mm Jack is broken and lose, then you will need to buy a new socket to solder it in. These sockets are surface mounting and once broken, the legs are no good anymore. You can try bridging it with solder, but when was tre last time solder did all the signal integrity justice anyways ?

Instead of doing all that hard works, I recommend you to switch completely to 4.4mm Jack. These sockets are through hole and in no way can you break it easily…

Apr 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #12,056 of 14,577

To use only as a dac:

I think you can also use USB out as a source to another DAC/amp can't you? (a smartphone for instance) :) I know that you can use it in this way on a PC. Though this is more like hard drive (sort of same thing), where you would use the music player on the PC rather than on the DX300.
If your 2.5mm Jack is broken and lose, then you will need to buy a new socket to solder it in. These sockets are surface mounting and once broken, the legs are no good anymore. You can try bridging it with solder, but when was tre last time solder did all the signal integrity justice anyways ?

Instead of doing all that hard works, I recommend you to switch completely to 4.4mm Jack. These sockets are through hole and in no way can you break it easily…
That is a good point, and I didn't know that. I will just send it with the DX then and have them take care of it and make sure to mention this issue when I do send the DX in for repairs.

Thanks for the rec! I have since bought a 4.4mm adapter to convert those cables that I still have that use 2.5mm, but I guess it is the point, that I have something on mine that is broken, and I know it.. LOL I know that is probably OCD of me but ya' know...... :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #12,058 of 14,577

To use only as a dac:

Thx for the info. I am using my dx300 as dac right now but eventually I will be buying probably holo spring 3kte. I just needed to make sure that it was possible to used as just a source because I don't have the money for a dac and streamer. I don't have a computer rn so it was a great to hear that the dx300 can be uses as a straight source.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #12,059 of 14,577

Having said all of this:

+1

I guess you don't listen to metal, right?
Because with many metal records, CCA CRA has some excruciating treble spike.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #12,060 of 14,577
I guess you don't listen to metal, right?
Because with many metal records, CCA CRA has some excruciating treble spike.
I think its quite obvious that for this moment there are no better tuned planar iems on the market than the Timeless. Lets see what brings near future, i would love to see more planar technology among other companies, like Campfire, Thie Audio, IBasso, Moondrop, Empire Ears etc. It definitely has a great potential but slightly limited to the most powerful portable devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back