iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #3,931 of 14,567
It’s really hard to be definitive as it’s obviously based on personal preferences in terms of SQ. User experience I’d say was equal. Both have Android 9 and 660 chip, which puts them way ahead of others. I love the sound out of my Cayin N6ii, but it’s terrible laggy compared to the R8 and DX300.

I thought R8 was endgame for me. But something made me want to try the DX300. At first R8 was the clear winner. But after around 80-90 hours on the iBasso, the gap is narrowing. I still find the DX a bit aggressive in the upper mids. The R8 is wonderfully euphonic and cohesive to my ears. But others have said differently. I won’t decide completely until I’ve got another 100 hours on the DX300.

One thing is for sure The gap in SQ is nowhere near in line with the 500GBP difference in price here in the UK. IBasso has definitely made that gap a nonsense. When you see it’s the same price here as the N6ii, the DX300 is head and shoulders above it in SQ and user experience. But then Cayin may have something up its sleeve to leapfrog again. And so it goes on...

As N6ii has different DAC and amp boards I am curious which one you tried that the dx300 is head and shoulders above. I assume not the A01 because the E02 puts the N6ii in a different league.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #3,933 of 14,567
I am not sure if it is the new firmware or something else entirely but the DAP is no longer stable.

I had an issue the other day when it wouldn't boot up. Today it restarted 3-4 times before it finally booted to Android.

Increasing/decreasing volume through the volume wheel locks the screen too.

Not impressed one bit....

EDIT: doing a full factory reset in case the new firmware introduced some sort of instability

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,934 of 14,567
Interesting subject.

This is my first iBasso DAP so I've no experience using non-authentic firmware with them. I do follow Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews on YouTube and he made point of advising to use these DAPs only with official firmware, however I'm not sure why. Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those more knowledgable on the matter.

Usually aftermarket firmware brings some usability improvements, like google play without you having to install anything.

It is generally not advised by audio companies, because it may void warranty if something goes wrong, so relying on community impressions and reading other user's impressions is the best way to learn about those

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,935 of 14,567
As a previous owner of R8, I would be happy with both and not miss the other - in terms of sound. There are some differences in sound but if I am not doing a side by side comparison and aiming just to detect that - at least with my transducers - there wouldn't be a clear winner for me as both have different points to like about. Other than that, it comes down to other features.

- R8 has a real and separate LO, DX300 (at the moment) does not. It is a useful thing to have them separated if you are using the LO often and want to reduce the risk of accidentally forgetting to switch to PO mode.

- DX300 is lighter, R8 is quite heavy.

- R8 is shorter but DX300 is as long as a mobile phone (could be positive or negative).

- But in hand, DX300 is easier to control - especially the volume, which is a downside of R8 design (at least for me).

- R8 has a larger battery and does not have the charging quirks of DX300. Whereas DX300 has a more energy efficient DAC setup, so spends less energy there, ending up with about the same play time and less heat.
Setting aside that my R8 was faulty, I would with agree your conclusions.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #3,936 of 14,567
I am not sure if it is the new firmware or something else entirely but the DAP is no longer stable.

I had an issue the other day when it wouldn't boot up. Today it restarted 3-4 times before it finally booted to Android.

Increasing/decreasing volume through the volume wheel locks the screen too.

Not impressed one bit....

EDIT: doing a full factory reset in case the new firmware introduced some sort of instability
It must be your unit mate ..not had any issues after firmware update .

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,938 of 14,567
I have some early thoughts on the DX300. I'm 10 hours into using it, so brain burn-in is just starting. I'm using both the Sennheiser IE800S on Low Gain with the 4.4mm balanced output (volume 53) and the LCD-3 Non-Fazor with High Gain with the 4.4mm balanced output (volume 60). I think I've settled on the D4 filter.

To make this short, I like it. I like it enough that I have given up on external amps for now. The interface is terrific. It powers my headphones well. I have Euclids on the way that I'm eager to try out with it. The case is a problem - but I'm just glad they provided something until I receive the TPU case from Aliexpress. I think MangoOS is more helpful than I expected when I just want to focus on music and not any other Android apps. The size has not been a problem because I'm so used to carrying around a phone and a dac/amp.

This is the first DAP that I'm willing to stick with. However - I don't like the sound. The current amp dulls the visceral impact of drums. The sub-bass doesn't have a kick to it that I enjoy. I may be a bass-head at heart and I am a sucker for V-shaped sound. I can't seem to EQ it to what I'm looking for. I am absolutely certain that this is not a power issue. I don't want to have an external amp - that seems to be silly considering a DAP is supposed to be all in one. I do prefer the sound of other systems that I've had include the Woo Audio WA-7, iFi Signature, Chord Mojo, and possibly even the iFi Hip Dac.

It's a tribute to the overall convenience of the DX300 that I'm keeping the player. The promise and potential of additional amp module sections is what does it for me. I am surprised that people consider the current amp module to have warm sound. I think a module with tubes might give me the energy I'm looking for.

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,939 of 14,567
have you tried to delete "wipe cache partification"?

No, will try though. Resetting didn't fix the weird volume wheel behaviour (screen gets locked from time to time);

The reset also resulted in me being unable to download purchased apps like Mconnect Pro as the Play Store doesn't recognise them as previously purchased..

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,940 of 14,567
No, will try though. Resetting didn't fix the weird volume wheel behaviour (screen gets locked from time to time);

The reset also resulted in me being unable to download purchased apps like Mconnect Pro as the Play Store doesn't recognise them as previously purchased..
Have you checked if you are logged into Playstore with your correct Google-account?
The volume wheel sounds like it is somehow triggering the contact which is normally supposed to be activated only by pressing the same wheel...

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,941 of 14,567
Sorry but some posts back i asked which headphones people where using that where getting good slam because my aeon2 is not doing it and you posted your LCD3.
Now you reconsider?
I already had my doubts on 2 headphones mentioned based on the sensitivity numbers. (
aeon2 92dB/13ohm
lcd3 93db/110ohm
HE1000se 96dB/35ohm)
Maybe i was not clear enough in my question. bass slam and kick might be different things
It's hard for me trying to get to test all those headphones.
LCD-X (103db/20ohm) and Ether2(107.7dB/16ohm) might do it.
Or i just should abandon the planars and find a dynamic one.

Getting very good results for my LCD-3 non-fazor. Best I’ve had in a DAP.

I have some early thoughts on the DX300. I'm 10 hours into using it, so brain burn-in is just starting. I'm using both the Sennheiser IE800S on Low Gain with the 4.4mm balanced output (volume 53) and the LCD-3 Non-Fazor with High Gain with the 4.4mm balanced output (volume 60). I think I've settled on the D4 filter.

To make this short, I like it. I like it enough that I have given up on external amps for now. The interface is terrific. It powers my headphones well. I have Euclids on the way that I'm eager to try out with it. The case is a problem - but I'm just glad they provided something until I receive the TPU case from Aliexpress. I think MangoOS is more helpful than I expected when I just want to focus on music and not any other Android apps. The size has not been a problem because I'm so used to carrying around a phone and a dac/amp.

This is the first DAP that I'm willing to stick with. However - I don't like the sound. The current amp dulls the visceral impact of drums. The sub-bass doesn't have a kick to it that I enjoy. I may be a bass-head at heart and I am a sucker for V-shaped sound. I can't seem to EQ it to what I'm looking for. I am absolutely certain that this is not a power issue. I don't want to have an external amp - that seems to be silly considering a DAP is supposed to be all in one. I do prefer the sound of other systems that I've had include the Woo Audio WA-7, iFi Signature, Chord Mojo, and possibly even the iFi Hip Dac.

It's a tribute to the overall convenience of the DX300 that I'm keeping the player. The promise and potential of additional amp module sections is what does it for me. I am surprised that people consider the current amp module to have warm sound. I think a module with tubes might give me the energy I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,942 of 14,567

What part of the bass don't you like? I also do like bass and listen to bass players but rather prefer a clearer textured bass than a woolly bass with overblown subbass. Frankly I don't know what else is possible with such a tiny amp with a 3.7V supply to drive those monster planars like LCD-3. But I also don't know what magic iBasso is hiding in their sleeves. The only two DAPs (?) I know that can give a fast and impact bass are DX220MAX and YunLvMei W1 (and FiiO M17 on the way).

I already had my doubts on 2 headphones mentioned based on the sensitivity numbers. (
aeon2 92dB/13ohm
lcd3 93db/110ohm
HE1000se 96dB/35ohm)
Maybe i was not clear enough in my question.
It's hard for me trying to get to test all those headphones.
LCD-X (103db/20ohm) and Ether2(107.7dB/16ohm) might do it.
Or i just should abandon the planars and find a dynamic one.

I user two planars with higher sensitivity but still they are best served with an external amp. I am adding the Romi BX2+ in the chain to get the best out of them. I would _highly_ recommend Denon D9200 to drive with portables. It is an absolute beast with great clarity, balance and superb bass.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #3,943 of 14,567
What part of the bass don't you like? I also do like bass and listen to bass players but rather prefer a clearer textured bass than a woolly bass with overblown subbass. Frankly I don't know what else is possible with such a tiny amp with a 3.7V supply to drive those monster planars like LCD-3. But I also don't know what magic iBasso is hiding in their sleeves. The only two DAPs (?) I know that can give a fast and impact bass are DX220MAX and YunLvMei W1 (and FiiO M17 on the way).

Frankly it's also for me the one of the two main sound characteristics I'm on the fence about for the dx300. I use sensitive IEMs, but in some way they emphasize even more (in my experience at least) subtle differences between DAPs low end response. My main comparison so far has been with dx228 (which I love). To me, there's a certain muddiness or untightness whatever you wanna call it in the mid to high bass of dx300 compared to dx228, combined with a slight ”emphasis” (no such thing really with high end daps) in the same region. It makes bass heavy tracks sound somewhat ”unclear” in the low end and quite less defined spatially as well from mid frequencies downwards.

The second thing I prefer dx228 over dx300 is separation and precise spatial imaging. Now, ”woolly” bass/low mids and separation are archenemies so maybe they're one and the same issue, I can't say.

On one hand I'm hoping potentially another amp card can improve things, but the dx228 is better sounding to so should I take the risk? Dilemmas!

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3,944 of 14,567
I confirm the last 2 posts completely from my experience

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,945 of 14,567
I have found that as the caps form/condition with the amp, the bass gets to be very good. I have no issues with texture or lack of control regarding the bass and loose or bleeding bass is something I do not like and won't listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back