iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #4,621 of 5,016
Oh I forgot to mention I got my dx300MAX-EXN back from NPAudio. I really like the back metal-plate instead of the glass-back that he did for me.

So biggest changes has been the sense of stereo-imaging; now contasting with a darker background. Songs have a more concise surround feeling from where different parts of the track pop out from. Less of that positively forgiving analog haze to the mids.

Second change, is there is now a more unforgiving glare to the upper-mids/lower-treble-air area. Which brings the tonality/presentation closer to an amp12 kind of presentation. Over the forgiving amp11mki presentation it had previously.

Bass & subbass presentation seems to depend more on the song tracks than the dap-coloring. No extra coloring or so in tonality. Bass seems to stand out more....like it is more noticable to focus upon with there being tbe darker background; especially noticable for punchiness.

New presentation scales really well with the Focal Utopia headphone ability to present dynamics and depth much better than before; but at the cost of that one glare of the Focal Utopia also comes into play. Quite the high-fi experience.

Overall, the pros/cons of the modification seem to be in balance. Just means now it is synnergizing with different iems/headphones than I had previously before the modification.
So mine has also made it. Really like the SS back on mine too!

Im around 15 hours in. I agree with a lot of your comments. Definitely a darker background and the lack of colouring compared to what it was previously is pretty obvious. I like that a lot.

Soundstage still has the same width but is a lot tighter which adds to the whole coherence.

I'm not really picking up on the glare, but I do like a spicy upper mids. Let's see how burn in goes!

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #4,622 of 5,016
Oh it doesn't simply add glare exactly, could be better worded, that it doesn't forgive innate glares/flaws in the headsets like it did before.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #4,623 of 5,016
Oh it doesn't add glare, could be better worded, that it doesn't forgive innate glares/flaws in the headsets like it did before.
Aah ok! I found that forgiveness came with burn in, so maybe the case here too. But I also don't have iems with flaws in that area. My spiciest set is the X and no issues.

Have to say I'm liking this more dynamic 3max. It may kill my p6pro....

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #4,626 of 5,016
My EXN is burning in very well - quite happy if i must say so myself with how things are progressing! Definitely more dynamic and lush. With an IEM like the Elysian X which can on most sources feel 'thin' in the mids, the mod gives it so much heft and balances it out nicely.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,627 of 5,016
Anyone willing to let go their tiny stock 4.4 to 3.5 Adapter?
If so, PM me plz 🙂
**edit thanx🙂

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #4,628 of 5,016
No major mod on mine but swapped the back for a beautiful copper one for better shielding.
IMG_20220730_125945.jpg

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #4,632 of 5,016
The clarity and positioning of the mids are just something I have never heard before on a DAP. I am listening through Kennerton Rögnir, music is my favorite Hendrix jazz fusion cover album, amazing. I think this could be the best portable match also for Solitaire HPs - I will check later...

Did you ever check SolP synergy before you sold DX300 Max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back