iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,491 of 5,022
On the physical layer, yup pretty simple. I think the error checking and all that probably happens at a higher level. I didn’t go through the SD protocol but I thought I saw something involving error checking before.

At least some SD cards show you its block diagram and the better ones out there (Micron, Sandisk, Samsung, Greenliant etc.) pretty much have some form of ECC implemented.

True they show ECC. I'll dig in if I feel like it :sweat_smile: Hopefully the listening result comes quicker.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,492 of 5,022
Ahh thanks. Pretty basic interface and no standardized error checking. So it's possible that some SD cards are so crappy that when streaming, it has number of errors in the stream :scream: If the errors are not always the same, our music should sound different every time, lol. :sweat_smile: Is it better to carry CD walkman again?
Perhaps that was why there were the effects of burn in, the algorithms gets better overtime ? Who knows ? I don’t even know why it sounded different just exactly as burn in goes ….. sigh… the rabbit and it holes. I always take that it is a curse to be able to tell the differences …. You have no idea how much I have invested in to tweaking and tuning, modifying…etc…. Sometimes I feel like I should just quit it/ like everything

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #2,493 of 5,022
Perhaps that was why there were the effects of burn in, the algorithms gets better overtime ? Who knows ? I don’t even know why it sounded different just exactly as burn in goes ….. sigh… the rabbit and it holes. I always take that it is a curse to be able to tell the differences …. You have no idea how much I have invested in to tweaking and tuning, modifying…etc…. Sometimes I feel like I should just quit it/ like everything
No man, don't quit! We need people like you to make progress!

You are one of the reason I fell in love with iBasso!

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #2,494 of 5,022
No man, don't quit! We need people like you to make progress!

You are one of the reason I fell in love with iBasso!
Yeah, already having a Titanium brick incoming 😆😅. In the meantime, I love learning new things. Please keep up with the sharing about these stuff. It is awesome to see and learn

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,495 of 5,022
Well, after reading all the discussions, I've decided to dive in and order some of the cards mentioned here!

I had my doubts about SD card making any difference. My work involves mixed signal circuits (digital/analog/RF) and I have dealt with error correction codes including ones used for deep space communications. I highly doubt that bit errors are contributing factor to the sound quality or else our file transfer using SD card will be incredibly unreliable. We don't hear people talking about corrupt music/photo/video unless the card is broken.

I was reading the Sony engineer's interview who developed their audiophile SD card. He mentioned one very important factor - noise injected from the SD card. He claimed that certain SD cards inject higher levels of switching noise resulting from memory reading and other "control" circuitry included on the card. Depending on the DAP's architecture, those injected noise can make its way to the audio path, get amplified, resulting in different sound quality. For Sony's card, they apparently found a quiet memory element, or ways to reduce noise injected to the SD reader, or both. I believe this to be the most plausible explanation.

There are also people who claim degaussing SD card is just as effective. Perhaps it's a worthwhile experiment as well :thinking:

Now the big question with 3Max is: Can the noise from SD slot make it's way into the audio section? The power supplies are isolated and I assume the digital and audio sections are isolated. Then how much noise can make its way to the ear? Perhaps a galvanically isolated SD slot could be the future. I dunno.

In any case, I'm going to give this a try and report back :wink:
May be a dumb ask but can I assume that this phenomenon applies to all devices, any DAP, DAC, etc, and not exclusive to 3Max?

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,497 of 5,022
What advantages the Max has over the Dx312 in SQ?

In technicalities like power, timbre, and musicality the 3max is better.

In tonality, if you want a more clinical presentation the dx312 I feel is different and achieves an amazing balance there for musicality. 3MAXSS reminds me more of the Amp11 modules tuning upgraded.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,498 of 5,022
Try loosening up a bit, it helps being content :p

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #2,499 of 5,022
New week! The TI's should start for touchdown I hope! :)

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,500 of 5,022
Anybody tried the Sony ier-z1r on 3Max? How's the Synergy?
It is a fantastic combination.
maybe the best I've ever heard
brings out the best of the Z1R .. The best bass, it comes out, and of course, the best treble that I have heard in some Iems.
I am very happy with this combination.Highly recommendable

077843BF-B680-4838-AE5C-2242DE8952D6.jpeg

best

Sisco

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #2,501 of 5,022
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #2,502 of 5,022
My Ti is en route and is currently in Memphis, TN at the FedEx Hub and I'm awaiting a flight time slot notice. Should be in the UK tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday, for a delivery on Thursday morning. Cannot wait!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,503 of 5,022
Hi guys, t is the first time that I hear the sd card changes the sound in the dap. I thought that if the card has a good reading speed is good. I have two 1TB Sandisk Extreme cards and I am wondering if maybe withe the same amount of money I could have done better. Did any of you tried the Sandisk Extreme and what is your opinion compared with other brands. I know the thread is about Ibasso, it would be nice to have a dedicated thread but maybe you can answer here. Thank you!

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #2,504 of 5,022
Hi guys, t is the first time that I hear the sd card changes the sound in the dap. I thought that if the card has a good reading speed is good. I have two 1TB Sandisk Extreme cards and I am wondering if maybe withe the same amount of money I could have done better. Did any of you tried the Sandisk Extreme and what is your opinion compared with other brands. I know the thread is about Ibasso, it would be nice to have a dedicated thread but maybe you can answer here. Thank you!
I know, right? If you could just scroll back a few pages, you will find some comments on the Sandisk Extreme Pros being quite dated, missing some new and advanced features, ECC and other tech that may possibly improve sound, with some (over my head) hypotheses being shared. Some have done tests and heard improvements on the micron cards, which led to a bunch of nut cases (including me) sweeping up the i300 cards on the net. There. Happy reading.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,505 of 5,022
I am more interested about the sound differences and not the technology behind them, and I don't know if the advanced features in the cardsa have anything to do with the sound. I am interested in a comparison strictly sound related. That would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back