iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,816 of 3,626
If this is an issue happening in the last 3 iterations of the product and is still there it signals an issue, at least about the release process of the company. It is not about if some fanboys not having it (apparently they only have a timbres density problem), it is about some of the people out there experiencing it and having to deal with such a basic issue, which apparently can only be solved "temporarily" by doing a hard factory reset. This is not a simple thing.

Before releasing a product, companies must have done extensive testing, not just sound quality but extensive system level testing. This kind of an issue that happened to at least 3 people out of maybe 10-15 shows that it is not a hard to observe issue for a company with tens of units in their possession, with about 4 years of history on that product. Apparently, they ignored it and / or people were not reactive about such issues to be caught before a release.

I have seen with what kind of horrible bugs DX220 was released, and apparently because of proper customer pressure for them to fix their release process, they will, also using their freebie monsters and / or fanboy community, they will try to make us see it as OK, which is not.

Everything I mentioned before and this problem reappearing in the third iteration of the product are connected at the point of lack of attention. The mentality that leaves the not usable menu items in the user interface and lets such bugs to slip and carry on are the same. This thread is full of their fanboys that has no problem with buying every gadget out there and throwing out some money and freebie monsters that received the product for free, and what they say about the product should not even count.

Companies are responsible for everything that they throw in front of us. Everything that is listed in the list of features is important, unlike what some freebie monster / money-no-issue Pollyanna fanboys say.

So people, if you like iBasso sound quality, please make pressure on them to fix their process by sending out such issues to them and following up their progress. This is the only way to really enjoy the music with those products you bought, in the way that you want to enjoy it.

Not sure if you gonna see my reply or not, considering you block everybody who doesn't agree with your point of view in this thread, and I can imagine soon this thread will feel to you like talking to yourself.

But if you can see the reply, what are you trying to accomplish with your posts? You made some valid points, relative to your perspective as a customer, said your peace, and what is next? What is the purpose of continuing to drive this point if, according to you, company does not listen and its "fanboys" accept it as is. If nothing has changed or will change to address your concern, why do you continue to "waste your breath" repeating yourself?

I get it, you are frustrated. But it also feels like you are turning this into a smear campaign against a manufacturer. Maybe it is just your personality and you are used to things always going your way, but you know in life not everything goes the way you expect, pick your battles, and know when to quit, man. As you mentioned, you already got suspended by HF admins and if you continue, they will ban you. And I saw you posted the same in HF FB audio group where I can't find your post anymore, assuming admins deleted it in there as well. What is next, buying ads on head-fi with a flashing banner "don't buy from ibasso"?

You already solidified it in your mind that ibasso is a horrible company with horrible fanboys, and nothing ever gonna change. You got this weight off your chest. And yes, I have no business of telling you what to do and how to feel, but maybe you should just let it go, man?

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #1,818 of 3,626
I have been running in my MAX the last couple days in AndroidOS with Neutron and so far it has no problems such as shutting down randomly when power button is pressed.

Using 4.4 and hd800s

Is there any noticeable sound quality difference with Mango OS?

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,820 of 3,626
Not sure if you gonna see my reply or not, considering you block everybody who doesn't agree with your point of view in this thread, and I can imagine soon this thread will feel to you like talking to yourself.

But if you can see the reply, what are you trying to accomplish with your posts? You made some valid points, relative to your perspective as a customer, said your peace, and what is next? What is the purpose of continuing to drive this point if, according to you, company does not listen and its "fanboys" accept it as is. If nothing has changed or will change to address your concern, why do you continue to "waste your breath" repeating yourself?

I get it, you are frustrated. But it also feels like you are turning this into a smear campaign against a manufacturer. Maybe it is just your personality and you are used to things always going your way, but you know in life not everything goes the way you expect, pick your battles, and know when to quit, man. As you mentioned, you already got suspended by HF admins and if you continue, they will ban you. And I saw you posted the same in HF FB audio group where I can't find your post anymore, assuming admins deleted it in there as well. What is next, buying ads on head-fi with a flashing banner "don't buy from ibasso"?

You already solidified it in your mind that ibasso is a horrible company with horrible fanboys, and nothing ever gonna change. You got this weight off your chest. And yes, I have no business of telling you what to do and how to feel, but maybe you should just let it go, man?

I am really tired of having to repeat myself.

Agree? What is there to agree on a software bug or WIFI performance question? Or should I just agree someone calling me names, or attacking me personally? Or agree you making false personal analysis or unjustified assumptions about me, as a person?

I guess what I wanted is not the normal procedure around here. Here, someone buys a product, does not like it, sends it back and leaves the group and then buys something else. If that person does not want to send it back and happens to ask a question, if the group can answer it, answers the question in a positively convincing way, if the group cannot answer the question tries to push him away and convince him to revert to the original procedure: That is to send it back / sell it and buy something else.

In the whole process, what really surprises me most, Mr. Master Reviewer, is that in the whole 4 years of this product line, none of you dared to ask why the WIFI behaves the way it behaves (2.4GHz unstable and 5GHz might need router tweaks to work), or why there are those unused icons there and why you cannot access the gain or DAC modes, for example from the pull down menu and have to use the Mango application, or those random crashes since the beginning --- and still be a fan of iBasso.

I think that is the issue here, this is why you guys wanted me gone, as having no answers on these make you feel uncomfortable and insecure. My questions frustrate you. "We are like this, why isn't everybody around us not like us, why do they want something else?"

Anyway, you are also landing on my ignore list, but it is not about agreeing or disagreeing, but just don't want to spend time reading some empty words about the status quo.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,821 of 3,626

Agree? What is there to agree on a software bug or WIFI performance question? Or should I just agree someone calling me names, or attacking me personally? Or agree you making false personal analysis or unjustified assumptions about me, as a person?

I guess what I wanted is not the normal procedure around here. Here, someone buys a product, does not like it, sends it back and leaves the group and then buys something else. If that person does not want to send it back and happens to ask a question, if the group can answer it, answers the question in a positively convincing way, if the group cannot answer the question tries to push him away and convince him to revert to the original procedure: That is to send it back / sell it and buy something else.

In the whole process, what really surprises me most, Mr. Master Reviewer, is that in the whole 4 years of this product line, none of you dared to ask why the WIFI behaves the way it behaves (2.4GHz unstable and 5GHz might need router tweaks to work), or why there are those unused icons there and why you cannot access the gain or DAC modes, for example from the pull down menu and have to use the Mango application, or those random crashes since the beginning --- and still be a fan of iBasso.

I think that is the issue here, this is why you guys wanted me gone, as having no answers on these make you feel uncomfortable and insecure. My questions frustrate you. "We are like this, why isn't everybody around us not like us, why do they want something else?"

Anyway, you are also landing on my ignore list, but it is not about agreeing or disagreeing, but just don't want to spend time reading some empty words about the status quo.
For router, it is known that 5Ghz is faster and has less inference. I use it most often and did not need to change anything to do so. But there are channels and that can be changed if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,822 of 3,626
I've been reading all this drama but the one thing that stood out was no one really answered his question: WHY does the 2.4/5GHz wi-fi slower than a normal smartphone? Is it the shielding? Is it the chassis? Is it the SoC? Is it the position of the DAP relative to the router? The router itself? What he said about country code wi-fi(?)? We all know that 5Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz but that was not the question. Now, I don't know for his situation personally, but for my situation it is our country's crappy internet leveling every devices' wi-fi performance. If you're going to reply to @DarginMahkum, make sure to answer the question and not some runabout way of saying you really don't know.

Y'all are equally lashing out at each other for each others' suggestion, why not just answer the question without attacking the other dude? Software improvements and optimizations ideas and requests are always welcomed by @Paul - iBasso via PM (it's what I do).

Now, I've been an iBasso owner since the DX50 (the only thing I can afford then) and I've followed their progress since then. They are known to release excellent sounding products that only get better with time, but their software has always been something to be desired. Only improvements over time via suggestions and bug reporting does this happen. I, as a modern folk, have expectations for newly released devices to be as smooth as the next Apple or OnePlus flagship but I am aware that smaller company's have limitations and iBasso, clearly not as big as either of them, gets leeway from me when they fangle something even at their asking price. It's a niche product tax.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,823 of 3,626

You are not alone. Quite a few members have complained about the wifi issues, the bluetooth issues, the same dac setup spanning three ibasso devices and of course the ancient processor, yet the prices keep increasing exponentially.

Ibasso has made a choice, and you the customer can make also choice. Most fans are okay with the connectivity issues and poor gui speed, if the sound is spectacular, and native DSD is present.

Guess my point is, don't buy $1,800 equipment that does not fit your needs. Ibasso won't fix these issues, as the consumers keep buying the devices. Simple as that. No need to keep crashing the thread with repetitive statements, even if they are TRUE.

You are going to mess around and get banned and that would be a loss to you, and the board will miss your presence.

Return it, or sell it, try another manufacturer or just buy a DX160 which sounds " good enough", and having a poor processor, poor Bluetooth, poor wifi is acceptable at less than $400. Its all about trade-offs.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,824 of 3,626
You are going to mess around and get banned and that would be a loss to you, and the board will miss your presence.

Not so much. You are right there have been many who have expressed the same frustrations. But mostly they move on unlike a few who just harp and complain incessantly and make themselves a nuisance. I never miss them when they get themselves banned.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,825 of 3,626
For router, it is known that 5Ghz is faster and has less inference. I use it most often and did not need to change anything to do so. But there are channels and that can be changed if needed.

The big issue is, you keep saying the same thing over and over, contribute little and seem to want to just keep doing the same thing over and over. That becomes nothing more than a troll. You ignore those who call you on this and hide like a child from those that confront you on your constant whining.

Hide from who or what? Where did you see that I was hiding myself from any of you? You? You couldn't even understand the question right. I repeated it several times:

- Why is my 2.4GHz network reception so unstable, that the reception changes radically 10X by just moving the device from the table to the floor? And why another DAP doesn't behave like this?

- 5GHz has a larger data bandwidth, but shorter range as high frequency signals can propagate shorter distances. I see, at the same position, I can receive 15X faster data on 5GHz compared to 2.4GHz, but I don't have the same situation with another device. An possible explanation from myself: Antenna size is frequency / wavelength dependent, which is why we possibly have two antennas inside, but the 2.4GHz antenna is, due to interference, shielded. Is my assumption here right?

- For the 5GHz network, could it be that the country code is not properly set? Can iBasso confirm this? If it is, could this be corrected, so that I don't have to tweak and limit my router for it and use all possible channels on my home network?

If you guys don't have anything to say and know nothing about what I am saying, please just don't say anything. It is that simple. If you don't have a clue and technical explanation, just ignore this. I don't want anything more from you. Just ignore me, nothing I ask or say is for you.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,826 of 3,626
One more thing I would like to say: Despite all this chaos, I willing (trying) to keep it, as I think it sounds excellent! I had most of the TOTL DAPs out there like WM1Z, SPK, SPKM, N8 etc etc. I know what I want, so stop telling me what I should want.

I am much more annoyed by those useless posts and being ignored by Paul (to my emails), than anything else - even the annoying software issues.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,827 of 3,626
If this is an issue happening in the last 3 iterations of the product and is still there it signals an issue, at least about the release process of the company. It is not about if some fanboys not having it (apparently they only have a timbres density problem), it is about some of the people out there experiencing it and having to deal with such a basic issue, which apparently can only be solved "temporarily" by doing a hard factory reset. This is not a simple thing.

Before releasing a product, companies must have done extensive testing, not just sound quality but extensive system level testing. This kind of an issue that happened to at least 3 people out of maybe 10-15 shows that it is not a hard to observe issue for a company with tens of units in their possession, with about 4 years of history on that product. Apparently, they ignored it and / or people were not reactive about such issues to be caught before a release.

I have seen with what kind of horrible bugs DX220 was released, and apparently because of proper customer pressure for them to fix their release process, they will, also using their freebie monsters and / or fanboy community, they will try to make us see it as OK, which is not.

Everything I mentioned before and this problem reappearing in the third iteration of the product are connected at the point of lack of attention. The mentality that leaves the not usable menu items in the user interface and lets such bugs to slip and carry on are the same. This thread is full of their fanboys that has no problem with buying every gadget out there and throwing out some money and freebie monsters that received the product for free, and what they say about the product should not even count.

Companies are responsible for everything that they throw in front of us. Everything that is listed in the list of features is important, unlike what some freebie monster / money-no-issue Pollyanna fanboys say.

So people, if you like iBasso sound quality, please make pressure on them to fix their process by sending out such issues to them and following up their progress. This is the only way to really enjoy the music with those products you bought, in the way that you want to enjoy it.
welcome to head phi where every release is super hyped ! Its better to wait till they are listed in pre owned section & buy at ~30-40% price reduction which is still not a fair price. I am sharing from my personal experience. Best of luck !

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,828 of 3,626
You are not alone. Quite a few members have complained about the wifi issues, the bluetooth issues, the same dac setup spanning three ibasso devices and of course the ancient processor, yet the prices keep increasing exponentially.

iBasso has made a choice, and you the customer can make also choice. Most fans are okay with the connectivity issues and poor gui speed, if the sound is spectacular, and native DSD is present.

Guess my point is, don't buy $1,800 equipment that does not fit your needs. iBasso won't fix these issues, as the consumers keep buying the devices. Simple as that. No need to keep crashing the thread with repetitive statements, even if they are TRUE.

Return it, or sell it, try another manufacturer or just buy a DX160 which sounds " good enough", and having a poor processor, poor Bluetooth, poor wifi is acceptable at less than $400. Its all about trade-offs.
I know that we vote with our money but it's not bad to ask for improvements. Why can't we support and buy the current iBasso product while asking iBasso to bring their products in line with modern electronic devices' EDC performance? I know that most head-fiers that own iBasso play their locally stored music but why not improve their DAPs music streamability? The broader music source options would bring in more people to enjoy the music.

The way I see it, it is like the US' situation with their police. The few police (bluetooth, wifi, gui speed etc.) f'ed up something, people (buyer) want the Gubmint (iBasso) to be responsible and improve because people still need the police (MAX). The people's taxes pay for the police so they have the right to demand change. They can't exactly replace the police (MAX) without incurring heavy financial losses. It's already there. The incessant calls for improvement can be annoying but how else can they be heard? Even with all the technological innovation, there is still this "good enough" or "trade-off" mentality which will lead to stagnation of the perceived summit-fi.

Also, that is not an answer to his question of WHY is the wi-fi performance that way. Your answer is the reason why iBasso made the MAX's wi-fi performance that way.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,829 of 3,626
Walkman WM-1Z doesn’t even have Wifi. People just move on , and the company keeps on producing

the point is that, when you keep trying to repeat something , it doesn’t mean you are gonna get God to fix it for you....it just annoy people

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,830 of 3,626
welcome to head phi where every release is super hyped ! Its better to wait till they are listed in pre owned section & buy at ~30-40% price reduction which is still not a fair price. I am sharing from my personal experience. Best of luck !

What is a fair price? Do you find any of totl daps fairly priced? How about tera-player, lp6 ti, hm1000, etc?
As long as the dap gives me the amusement I want I am willing to pay premium as a fair price.
There's no longer a set fair price but could be relative..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back