iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
May 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #662 of 3,626
For me personally the size will be a deal-breaker. I doubt one would be able to comfortably fit the 220Max in his/her pocket....which is important to me

May 24, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #664 of 3,626
It is not designed to be pocketable, at least in my eyes it isn’t. 700g and that size lol.
Yes exactly. I guess i will just be sticking with my 227!

May 24, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #666 of 3,626
Good thing there are only going to be 999 of them. I don't think they will have any problem selling them. Also, I don't think everyone who wants one will get one. However, the more people who find reasons to pass the more those who want one will get one.
All that makes sense to me, but I'm a little biased I guess.

May 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #667 of 3,626
May 24, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #670 of 3,626
Correct me if i am wrong

AK Kann cube. 7.3 x 5.2 x 3.2 inches.

(I stand corrected? You have failed me Google!)
@DarginMahkum wrote:
“14 x 8.8 x 3.2 cm are the real dimensions. And KC weighs 493g.”

DX220MAX. 144 x 84 x 27 mm or 5.7 x 3.3 x 1 inch

AK Kann cube
1.9 pounds,
862g

iBasso DX220 Max
1.5 pounds
700g
It is not. These are the dimensions for the package (KC is definitely not 3.2 inches / 8.2 cm thick). 14 x 8.8 x 3.2 cm are the real dimensions. And KC weighs 493g.

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/kann-cube

i stand corrected then.

“damn you Google!
(Raises fist to sky and waves it around wildly

May 25, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #672 of 3,626
I never cared much about those “fuzz” from other makers VS authorized dealer

Ibasso always take care of the customers as long as the device is Ibasso made and produced. I have seen and witness many events where even used items got warranty and services from Ibasso

You would likely never got any respond from Lotoo Email, but Ibasso is likely responding to all inquiries.

Ibasso loves the customers, enough to even have Fan Editions Limited run with full warranty.

Ibasso's such an extremely reliable brand. If in any doubt or anything concerning their devices, send @Paul - iBasso msg or email to sort out your queries.
I missed the 2nd batch amp8ex. Still, i imsg him & replied me step by step how to order...

May 25, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #673 of 3,626
Same slow processor (??), same dac chip implementation, same screen quality(??), only 128gb internal storage and only one sd slot. So basically a bigger battery and upgraded amp components for $1,000 over a DX220? Where is the value in this and where is the upgrade in technology to warrant $1,900?

If DSD512 is such a big deal, why not increase the internal storage to at least 512gb, or add a standard SD card slot for such a large device?

This is a never ending story. FiiO forums are full of complaints about the lack of DSD512. They even show Hiby and Cayin as examples of Snapdragon processor users, which is Snapdragon 425, is quad core 4 x A53, with max. clock of 1.4 GHz, from 2016, does not support DSD512. RK chip iBasso uses is octa core 8 x A53, max clock of 1.5 GHz (iBasso limits it to 1.0 GHz), from 2015 and supports DSD512. Samsung processor FiiO uses is from 2018, does not support DSD512 and with 4 x A53 and 2 x A73 - but still people complain that "it is old", why it is not the latest and greatest Android, why it does not support DSD512 etc, though it is the most powerful SoC in the DAP market.

The answer is this: It just is not possible to satisfy all. It is not possible for these small companies to go get the attention and support of big SoC manufacturers, for such high end SoCs. This is a niche market, and I am just happy that there are people / companies trying to make this possible.

Today James from FiiO sent a post about this on Facebook, which actually applies to iBasso, Cayin, Hiby, too. I will paste it here for those without FB:

https://www.facebook.com/chung.james.92/posts/2986974091410640

"In addition, the current high-performance processors are only Qualcomm, Samsung, MTK, Huawei Kirin and Apple. Apple and Huawei Kirin are not open to others, and the IIS audio output port of MTK does not support DSD and 192K/24B. So only Qualcomm and Samsung left. And purchasing processors from Qualcomm and Samsung is not that difficult, including Qualcomm's 865 and 855, Samsung's 980 and so on.

However, it is useless only with the processor. Because it needs the development documents, development kits, various drivers, kernel programs and so on provided by the manufacturer. Otherwise, processors make no sense.

FiiO is lucky to win supports from Samsung and its agents to develop the processor. They have also opened up many low-level code permissions and provided a lot of free technical support, so that we can complete the development. But there are shortcomings. A few companies use Samsung's processor. The EXYNOS7872 SoC is only used by FiiO and another manufacturer, Meizu, in China. Therefore, , technical capability for Samsung semiconductor is relatively weak here. This also causes some lingering problems, for example, non support of apple music. And this needs to start with the underlying code.

And for Qualcomm chips, except for big companies and agencies (design companies), we are unable to get the underlying code base currently. This means all function development and subsequent upgrades must rely heavily on agents. What's more painful is that every new feature or bug fix involving the underlying code needs to be paid, and it's not cheap.

In addition, Qualcomm has only opened up parts of their models for HiFi player industry and other niche industries. Not all of its processor chips are open for sales and providing technical support. Therefore, we can see that in Chinese player industry, processors from Qualcomm is only limited in 4XX series. (excl. those haven't been started mass producing.)

There are benefits as well. Most of the companies are using processors of Qualcomm, which means broad accesses to technical support. As long as you are willing to pay, it is relatively easy to get what you want."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back