iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
May 23, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #618 of 3,626
I asked on FB about the output impedances and Paul replied that it is going to be very low, like other iBasso devices. AMP1 MKII is about 0.3 ohms. AMP8 (0.38 ohms) and AMP9 (0.3 ohms) are also spec'ed around the same. If they can achieve that much power with such low impedance on a portable that would be really good.

I wonder if it is warm and full sounding like AMP4/8, or is it neutral, flat and detailed like AMP1/9.

May 23, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #619 of 3,626
I wanted to buy the P6 R2R dap, because it was so special, and now I see DX220 MAX out, with such a reasonable price. What to do, what to do. I need a good DSD capable dap.

May 23, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #620 of 3,626
I asked on FB about the output impedances and Paul replied that it is going to be very low, like other iBasso devices. AMP1 MKII is about 0.3 ohms. AMP8 (0.38 ohms) and AMP9 (0.3 ohms) are also spec'ed around the same. If they can achieve that much power with such low impedance on a portable that would be really good.

I wonder if it is warm and full sounding like AMP4/8, or is it neutral, flat and detailed like AMP1/9.
I've read the amp section is based on AMP8.

May 23, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #621 of 3,626
So the output impedance is a big advantage this has over the Kann Cube. Putting them against one another.

But you P6 R2r Dap is so conveniently small. At the size range of the Ak240 and the Hiby R6 Pro.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #622 of 3,626
I wanted to buy the P6 R2R dap, because it was so special, and now I see DX220 MAX out, with such a reasonable price. What to do, what to do. I need a good DSD capable dap.

If you are after a good DSD DAC/DAP because you have many DSDs, I would anyway take the R2R DACs out of the shortlist. DSD is more a sigma-delta DAC thing. I actually was thinking of getting the HM1000 R2R DAC in addition to my M15, but HifiMan seems to be too incompetent in software department.

May 23, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #623 of 3,626
If you are after a good DSD DAC/DAP because you have many DSDs, I would anyway take the R2R DACs out of the shortlist. DSD is more a sigma-delta DAC thing. I actually was thinking of getting the HM1000 R2R DAC in addition to my M15, but HifiMan seems to be too incompetent in software department.
If an R2R is over sampling, then it is about the same as Delta-Sigma, with different ways to achieve it ....LOL. There really are only 2 kinds, Non Over Sampling and or Over sampling.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #624 of 3,626
May 23, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #627 of 3,626
If an R2R is over sampling, then it is about the same as Delta-Sigma, with different ways to achieve it ....LOL. There really are only 2 kinds, Non Over Sampling and or Over sampling.

Yes, but in any case you would need first DSD to PCM conversion for playing DSD audio on a R2R DAC.

May 23, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #628 of 3,626
Yes, but in any case you would need first DSD to PCM conversion for playing DSD audio on a R2R DAC.
It depends on what the DSP interfaces are being implemented. If the playback is a conductor of 1 bit stream from the storage into the interface constantly then carried on into the final chain of the R2R where low bit filtering and low-pass filters are in play then I don’t see why not ? If any R2R can oversampling into 256x, that means the final chain has the capability to process 1 bit DSD256

it is true that if you have DSD, it needs to be converted into PcM 16/44.1 before playback, if you have a pure NOS design, or Non over sampling. The design refuses anything with over sampling where DSD64 is Oversampling 64x or at the least 2X the red book rate with 32 bit depth (32x2)

As I mentioned, don’t be confused by R2R or Sigma Delta....you should only pay attention at a design whether it is None over sampling or Over sampling (NOS vs OS)

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #629 of 3,626
it is true that if you have DSD, it needs to be converted into PcM 16/44.1 before playback, if you have a pure NOS design, or Non over sampling.

NOS or OS - that still means extra processing on the DSD audio data.

Anyway... I found in the forums that the clock frequency range of DX220 SoC is 126 MHz to 1GHz. Maybe this can be kicked a little bit higher for Android mode. Qobuz application would benefit from it, as it was kind of slow on DX220. I am sure @Lurker0 would have more to say about it.

May 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #630 of 3,626
NOS or OS - that still means extra processing on the DSD audio data.

Anyway... I found in the forums that the clock frequency range of DX220 SoC is 126 MHz to 1GHz. Maybe this can be kicked a little bit higher for Android mode. Qobuz application would benefit from it, as it was kind of slow on DX220. I am sure @Lurker0 would have more to say about it.

since my DX220 also mostly lives inserted in dock, i‘m also interested if there is possibility to extend range of CPU bus frequency. 220MAX might give us a lot of answers about SoC capabilities..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back